Move Mouselook Camera Position?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 823 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have several smaller avatars that are well designed, but when I go into Mouselook the camera is sometime placed to low and sometime underground, and for some of my pony and dog avatars the camera is placed well inside the head so I often press the head halfway through an object  even it look like from mouselock that I stan a bit away from the object, and if I select to show "avatar in mouselook" I can often see the hair or the head when I am looking up.

So is there any way to change the mouselook camera position? I wish there was like a extra settings for this that could be worn so the creators could make a mouselook position for their avatars and that then can be edited if the used modify the avatar, like the giraffe mod I have do place my eyes (camera) in the neck, but I would love to see from a position between the eyes and a tiny bit in front of the head. is this something that can be done or is there any limitation to SL that would not allow to change mouselock per avatar through a setting like "New Body Part - Camera position"?

Sorry for lack of grammar and niceliey korrekt spellon.

I can think of 3 ways to do this.

First, there are sometimes camera adjuster HUDs that you can find on Marketplace. I had one for my Petite avatar years ago.

Second, on Firestorm at least you can go into the Advanced Menu, Debug Settings to change your camera settings. The folks who run the Firestorm Support group will advise against doing this, because it's possible to mess up a bunch of settings if you don't know what you're doing. The default camera positions is horrible though, imo, and is far worse when you have a short avatar. I followed an advice page for  better camera settings, copied those settings onto a notecard, and refer to that notecard from time to time when I want to change my camera views.

Third, is the easiest way. Go into your Camera Control window, adjust your camera view manually, and then set that as additional settings for your camera. I find that setting for my Petite avatar and settings for my Wolf avatar work equally well for both avatars, so I only need one set for both of these. These settings remain for different avatars using the same viewer.

A couple example videos:

Edited by Persephone Emerald
edit to add video

All of Persephone's suggestions are good, but none of them pertain to Mouselook (First person viewpoint mode). I checked in the Debug settings and was not able to find any that pertain to adjusting the camera position in Mouselook.

Maybe check into her first suggestion about a camera positioner, but be sure to read the specifications carefully...I don't know any of those that affect Mouselook either...but I could be wrong, since I don't use either Mouselook or small avatars often.

• Like 1

If you enable Show Avatar in Mouselook, does that change the perspective enough that it's near whatever avatar you're using eyes?

• Show avatar in Mouselook: Will allow you to see yourself when in mouselook. Does not show the entire avatar, but looking down you would see your feet.
Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1

Even if I do a camera setting that move my camera up it goes back to a standard mouselook camera position, I can change the "Hover height" to move the camera up, but then when I go back to 3rd person view my avatar is hovering in the air, and I do not know if the camera is attached to any bone so it would be possible to do a deformer to change the camera position for some avatars.

The thing with mouselook (in Firestorm) is that is have game like features and is great for walking around events for you can zoom in by pressing the right mouse button and adjust the zoom by scrolling the mouse wheel while holding the right mouse button down, but if your avatars view is way to low it can just break the mouselook functionality.

The Mouselook camera position is linked to the skull of your avatar skeleton (found this out through tinkering). So far i have not found a (changeable) way to adjust this. It would therefore seem that it all depends on how your avatar's skeleton is deformed. I suppose it's up to the avatar creator to keep this in mind when making it. this could be a good jira to file in Firestorm's jira. (Not LL's, because more often than not you'll get the generic "we won't tackle this right now"-answer as per typical when you ask them anything.)

Yes, i'm criticizing you yet again LL, instead of censoring it, maybe listen to it for once?

• Like 2

Looked into this a little while back. I usually fly/drive/sail in mouselook, and I really prefer to be able to see my avatar whilst in mouselook (hands on the steering wheel/cyclic stick, feet on the pedals), but my new fancy hat I'd gotten blocked half my screen when looking straight forward.

Couldn't find anything, unfortunately. Had to take my hat off.

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

Looked into this a little while back. I usually fly/drive/sail in mouselook, and I really prefer to be able to see my avatar whilst in mouselook (hands on the steering wheel/cyclic stick, feet on the pedals), but my new fancy hat I'd gotten blocked half my screen when looking straight forward.

Couldn't find anything, unfortunately. Had to take my hat off.

"Show avatar in mouselook" should display everything except attachments on your head. (Any attachment point related to your head - skull, eyes, ears, etc.)

Was your hat rigged? If it is, make sure it's not attached to something dumb like your right hand (default) even if it appears on your head.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

"Show avatar in mouselook" should display everything except attachments on your head. (Any attachment point related to your head - skull, eyes, ears, etc.)

Was your hat rigged? If it is, make sure it's not attached to something dumb like your right hand (default) even if it appears on your head.

I'll have to double check! But I sometimes see my eyeballs and eyelashes too (worn on Left Eye and Chin), but I'll play around a bit and see if I can make them go away, thanks! 

14 hours ago, Kennylex Luckless said:

So is there any way to change the mouselook camera position?

I don't believe there is a way to change the height in mouselook.  I have some pixie avatars that do the same thing, instead of having the perspective of being from their eyes, it appears the camera is set in the chest from mouselook.  It has been a while since I have looked into it, but I believe the camera actually has a bone it is set to in the model itself, and if you wanted to change it you would need to edit the model.  As others suggested, you can hide your avatar in mouselook though.

Here is a video of someone playing around with an avatar they created in avastar and experimenting using mouselook in their viewer to give you an idea of how it works in avatars.

I've looked for debug settings to change the location of the camera in mouselook but have had no luck, nor have I found any scripts that would allow me to change the height of the camera in mouselook via a HUD.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2

@Persephone Emerald's third option is the way to go. If you have got a part of your avatar's skeleton to focus on, in the correct place for eyes to really be, you can zoom into that from behind until you just break through the other side, then save that view as a "Fake Mouselook" setting.

You'll need to be able to focus on something right at the front of your avatar's head to be able to break through in the correct place. If necessary, place a small prim on the bridge of the nose (or where you think this is) to achieve the correct camera position.

It won't work quite the same as a true Mouselook but might be an acceptable workaround.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 823 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.