Room for rent ?

Liv Simondsen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

to rent implies .. you have to pay  :) 

8 minutes ago, venusrobins0n said:

I know, i meant "free available for rent"

Classic example of how text can be easily misunderstood and how our brain works.  I read it like she meant it but I can easily see how someone would read it differently.   :)

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Bagnu said:

Hi!!!  I have lots of rooms to rent in my Tower on the Island. It's an Adult community, though. If you're OK with that please contact me!!!

I live here, it is actually quite peaceful most of the time and the view out the window is to die for. Definitely worth checking out.

• Thanks 1

Free can mean vacant\not in use too.
It is all about context. And IMHO it was pretty obvious in what context Venus used the word free, when the conversation is about renting a room.
Is there some vacancy?

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 8

Lol, I read it the same way as Sam did. Maybe it's regional, but I always speak like that. 

Is the room still free? Hey is the ladies' room free yet? Hi I heard you're overbooked now, but are there any hotel rooms free next week? Etc.

Free = available 'round these here parts (or maybe a lot of parts...I haven't managed to confuse anyone with that when traveling just yet).

Edit: Sid beat me to it.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I'm curious what you mean by "everything that implies"?

Quite often free rent is offered in exchange for some service rendered. For example a maid might receive a room rent free, however she only will have that as long as she cleans the rest of the house. Exactly what the service is would vary with the situation of course. Also it is true that there are exceptions, situations where someone is offered a free place to stay without any expectation, though these are rare, particularly among people who don't know each other to start with. 

7 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

Quite often free rent is offered in exchange for some service rendered. For example a maid might receive a room rent free, however she only will have that as long as she cleans the rest of the house. Exactly what the service is would vary with the situation of course. Also it is true that there are exceptions, situations where someone is offered a free place to stay without any expectation, though these are rare, particularly among people who don't know each other to start with. 

Nice example using a maid ;)

Being in beYou I give out free stuff and people live free with me all the time.  Nothing needed in exchange and they don't even have to clean up after themselves so no maid needed.

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I assume this would apply to RL as I've never needed my SL home cleaned.  😁

Yes, I was speaking in broad general terms about free rent in any context. Within SL of course the possible services are a bit more limited.

Though I have, in these forums, seen at least one offer of free room and board to someone who would RP as a maid.

Edited by Ayeleeon
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, venusrobins0n said:

Hello, i could be interested too in a room, if there are some free :)

Sure!!! IM me inworld, or I'll try and look for you. If you get an IM from Sandor, Swallow, or Toy, that's me trying to reach you.

4 hours ago, Ayeleeon said:

Free usually means you move in with someone and everything that implies.

Yes, Caitlin lives with me for free on the Island in the penthouse, because she is partnered with my Swallow AV (she prefers me female). 

What about the famous "Mr Humphries, are you free?" then in the evergreen BBC show Are You Being Served?

The fun of that sentence is that the staff would be in a setting with no customer in sight at the menswear department.
There it meant clearly available.
Of course there was the comical undertone to the other possibilities of the word free that made it even funnier.

Edited by Sid Nagy

@venusrobins0n, there is no need to apologize for anything.
What you wrote was perfectly clear.
Free has the meaning of 'available' just as much as 'no costs involved'.
Some people should use a dictionary at times. (Not meaning you).

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

What about the famous "Mr Humphries, are you free?" 

that's correct, as put against busy, occupied or helping a customer.

but we'll all know examples... loads of them, like in Dutch we have quite some the same words that mean totally different things, depending on context.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.