Do you think people look down on "traditional" femininity?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 936 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, BjorJlen said:

And mine is, yes you do because even if that's true, you are free to make the choice anyways.

Exactly, like it or not you get to choose for everything. (hope you are feeling better btw)

p.s all this talk about femininity reminded me of a horrible event that affected femininity globally.
All of Victoria's Secret models were fired back in July.. I am a sensitive man and those news really had me crying

(i think we should have a fund raiser in Second Life and as a community help these unemployed ladies.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

Not sure whether to give your post a thanks reaction, or one of @Rowan Amore's confused reactions.

:) Go with the thanks, as what I said was intended as a complement... :)
   Though with so little options with the emoji reactions, I can understand how you feel (I wish we had more)... 😁

Peace...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Paul, have you thought of becoming a gay man to improve your status?  I've heard that with the lights off, a chubby male who shaves can work as a good substitute. If you would be willing to transition to a female, and then date females (in case a chubby male is simply not palatable and you also want to double your improved status), you could be both gay and trans and so be killing 2 birds with one stone!  Only the whiteness would need to be dealt with if you really want to status punch your life.  Fortunately, I have heard of some treatments even for this problem! -- some kind of medication that, while not able to reasonably create a person with extremely dark skin, you might at least pass for Hispanic!

tumblr_mnv45tBj6A1qe6n4co2_250.gif.c811111490896f92417d70e244b96c5d.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/27/2021 at 2:29 AM, Arielle Popstar said:
On 10/27/2021 at 12:04 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Nobody is "man bashing." Discussing systemic sexism and toxic masculinity isn't an assault on men: it's a critique of the culture that has generated a kind of acceptance of violence, sexual and otherwise, from men, and conditioned some to believe that it is not only "ok" to engage in such violence, but actually expected of them.

The moment you implicate the "culture" and systemic sexism as being the problem, you basically throw all men under the same bus wheels. It reminds me of the "white privilege" charge and its supposed attendant systemic racism being touted last year. Neither is honest nor a reality.

No, by identifying the problem in terms of cultural attitudes and influence or using the word 'systemic' it does not throw all men under the same bus.
Toxic masculinity is a powerful dynamic in some societies that affects everyone, both men and women. Its effects on people vary, in both degree and type of manifestation.
That's what culture or anything we label as 'systemic' does -- this is how it operates -- 'culture' is simply patterns of thought that take on a kind of life of their own, affecting human behavior in both conscious and unconscious ways.
Toxic masculinity, systemic sexism or racism, white privilege...everyone in the wake of these patterns becomes a part of it in various ways and degrees. Culture guides the human species, in both positive and negative ways. When it does so in negative ways we must challenge it.
It does not mean that just because we determine someone is exhibiting toxic masculinity in their behavior that we think they're exhibiting such behavior in its most severe manifestation (like murdering or r-a-p-i-n-g a woman, for example) -- there are degrees of toxic masculinity, in other words.

Think of a cultural expression like a fog that descends from the mountains, covering the earth. It's thicker in some places, lighter in others, according to the varying conditions on the ground and air that determine its characteristics. Where conditions on the earth are favorable due to temperature and moisture, the manifestation of fog is strong and we see it clearly. A distance away where conditions were not ripe for its manifestation we may see only a wisp of fog.

The awareness that forces outside the individual self has unknown influence over one's self can be disconcerting to those who have a strong need to control everything with their conscious mind, and/or believe the conscious mind is all that exists. But I assure you, we have been influenced, and we are being influenced this very moment, by forces we had/have no control over. We are all socialized, brainwashed, by everything around us...from the time we are born...via the culture we grew up in.  We're just often not aware of it.

Finding fault and blaming those we perceive as under the influence of toxic masculinity is not the objective -- the objective is for everyone to become aware of their own patterns of thought and behavior under culture's influence so they're able to make clear choices going forward. They can then decide if they agree or not with the culture they grew up in.
However, of course we need to confront and correct those who are exhibiting the most destructive forms of toxic masculinity when they are harming others so as to protect their victims.

Naming, is not blaming. We have to define patterns in order to change them.

Edited by Luna Bliss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 936 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.