Official pissed off with Windows 11 and moving to Linux help thread.

Anna Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 944 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey, I just drag them out into the open and let Sunlight and @Coffee Pancakedeal with them.

Would be so cool to be able to run Linden Lab's Second Life Viewer on Slackware again.  Back when I was doing so I still had to build it there but that was so easy even us Windows XP (at the time) users could manage it.  Only had to download one file and issue one command.  Once the alphabet soup stopped flying by, run one more command then log in.  Sound and voice chat worked too.  No tricks required.

I reserve my Linux time for doing service provider network service maintenance now.  X is for kids.

Edited by Ardy Lay

10 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

Great job Henri. Bravo.

Not just my job... I simply made sure that my viewer (and its dependencies) was (super) easy to build under any Linux system. The arm64 porting itself was done and contributed by bjbdragon.

I have been actually very surprised it has been possible at all (also thanks to sse2neon).

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Read the thread he posted .. It's a contribution to Henri's code.

Seriously. What is wrong with you ?

I will use any viewer as I please on any operating system I please, but I sure as hell will never come close to support Catznip or support it by Patreonship purely by your attitude.

Congrats.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Not just my job... I simply made sure that my viewer (and its dependencies) was (super) easy to build under any Linux system. The arm64 porting itself was done and contributed by bjbdragon.

I have been actually very surprised it has been possible at all (also thanks to sse2neon).

This man right here, is the Montgomery Scott, Miracle Worker, of SL TPVs.

1184118-0drunk.jpg

😁

8 hours ago, TDD123 said:

I will use any viewer as I please on any operating system I please, but I sure as hell will never come close to support Catznip or support it by Patreonship purely by your attitude.

Congrats.

please do continue to do whatever you like and enjoy the fruits of our labor in every other viewer you use!

9 hours ago, TDD123 said:

Congrats.

C'mon now there's no need to argue about some silly game software, whatever works for each person.

At the end of the day we are all just users, Linden Lab gets the cash.

(In the meantime back in SL ... this little f*cker won't let me High Score.)

Screenshot_2021-10-09_09-11-53.thumb.png.76b9ff5734d47ea29dc0b01228b9949c.png

Edited by Nick0678
  • Like 1

There is absolutely zero reason (unless you're coding for it) to upgrade to Windows 11 right now and even then I'd be running it in a virtual machine. Windows 10 is pretty darn stable and mature as a product. Linux is great for what it is, but some of us don't want our OS to be a hobby and Linux is still too much of that to be a daily use OS for a lot of people. There's no way Linden Lab is going to depreciate support for Windows 10 any time soon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

This man right here, is the Montgomery Scott, Miracle Worker, of SL TPVs.

I've been called ”Spock”, in my (far, far) high school days, but never Scott... I'm flattered nonetheless, even if I'm not as fat as he is on this picture... 😄

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 944 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.