Official pissed off with Windows 11 and moving to Linux help thread.

Anna Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 944 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

RMS is an entirely different issue.

True. Richard Stallman prefers to be identified as rms, so who this RMS is what you are referring to is a mystery to me as well as is your shown contempt for the mere fact I'm a linux user and must be as contemptly acted against like Stallman.

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

LL did not drop open source support, they just dropped Linux support. Oz did clearly state (many times, over the course of several years) that if the community could make the SL viewer compile standalone (and use system libs rather than needing to be shipped with specific precompiled dependencies) they would add it to their build servers and make / ship standard packages for the main distros. (so Linux users could add a repo and 'apt get secondlife' etc).

No one from the open source community stepped up to make this happen.

No kidding. And with LL'  reputation and your shown warmheartedness to Linux, they did not contribute ? How odd ... :|

11 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

And with LL'  reputation and your shown warmheartedness to Linux, they did not contribute ? How odd ...

It was hard to allocate developer time when less than two-tenths of one percent of Second Life logins were from viewers running on Linux.  Oz Linden did indeed request some help from the community.  Linden Lab was going to provide the build-farm, repository, and all the related hosting and networking resources, if only some people sufficiently familiar with building the Second Life Viewer on Linux would offer updates to keep it building and running.  Nope.  Silence.  Dead silence from the otherwise vocal Linux users that seem to be disproportionately represented on the mailing-list and this forum.  So, SmartMoney Linden didn't continue allocating developer time.  Maybe  if somebody that knows how would make it build and run again, Linden Lab would be willing to build binaries and host them for Linux users.  I know I miss the Linden Lab builds that ran on Linux.

Ow.  Yeah, the 3rd party libraries that are no longer supported on Linux would be a problem.

Personally, I don't care what operating system or "distribution" thereof people run.  I also don't care what their fecal matter smells like as long as it is not in my space.

I wonder if I am the lone Slackware user in Second Life?  Nobody talks about Slackware here, probably because it's not what the "cool dudes" are blathering about.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

It was hard to allocate developer time when less than two-tenths of one percent of Second Life logins were from viewers running on Linux. 

So basically they ask their own small group of existing linux USERS to code the whole damn thing for them ? Because that is what your story is telling me next. 

That's the kind of request a mobster makes before deciding how to finally whack you off. 

Dead silence from the otherwise vocal Linux users that seem to be disproportionately represented on the mailing-list and this forum. 

That's because here, particularly in this thread, you meet individuals who happen to run any operating system or distro imaginable. That's the only thing linking them. Not the ideology or perceived attitude behind it as is misportrayed, on purpose I will add, constantly here.

Nobody talks about Slackware here, probably because it's not what the "cool dudes" are blathering about.

I wouldn't know. Nor do I run Slackware nor am I part of any group you imagine. 

Edited by TDD123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

So basically they ask their own small group of existing linux USERS to code the whole damn thing for them ? Because that is what your story is telling me next. 

No. They just asked if the community could resolve the issues that prevented the viewer from compiling standalone against system libs.

Nothing more.

It didn't get any takers.

Feel free to put up, LL will be very excited to see your progress, the impression I got was that should the standalone block be resolved they would resume official support.

Just now, Coffee Pancake said:

Feel free to put up, LL will be very excited to see your progress, the impression I got was that should the standalone block be resolved they would resume official support.

For the final time : you assume .. way too much. 

I go to the TPV meetings (which are also on record) feel free to watch them on youtube and gain some informed opinions.

Yeah , but for this 'record' let's summarize : Oz' requesting an unanswered solution to a compilation issue is the culprit why LL dropped the Linuxviewer ? Nobody would tell Oz' how to achieve it ? Or is it an impossbile feature to accomplish for any Linux user at all ? 

Since you are so well informed ... 

Edited by TDD123

It wouldn't hurt to get a group of people here who use Linux viewers to compile a list or two of what happens on different systems. I agree that Linux isn't a hold-your-hand type of environment and many Windows migrants are going to find themselves rather lost.

That said, both Firestorm and CoolVlViewer run nicely straight from the box. Henri has put a lot of effort into helping people set up his viewer, to the extent of having an additional stage post-install that checks for missing dependencies, gives advice on how to make up the deficiencies, and then goes to to advise on setting up wine to get the bare minimum Vivox voice running.

Singularity also has linux builds but I do admit to having one or two issues there, the latest built fails with an illegal instruction call on earlier Lubuntu, although it did run happily on 20.04.

There will be several technical migrants crossing over in the next few years, I would like to think we have a welcome party ready for them instead of gunboats in the channel

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
  • Like 2

Just now, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I would like to think we have a welcome party ready for them instead of gunboats in the channel

Well it's not you facing the OMGULinuxnoobHateeverythingStallmanShowmewhatyougotyougotnuttin'-barages .. :|

2 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

Yeah , but for this 'record' let's summarize : Oz' requesting an unanswered solution to a compilation issue is the culprit why LL dropped the Linuxviewer ? Nobody would tell Oz' how to achieve it ? Or is it an impossbile feature to accomplish for any Linux user at all ? 

Since you are so well informed ... 

In order to compile the stock SL viewer standalone, you will need to overcome a number of errors. Make those errors go away and produce a functional SL client binary (with noted caveats that there will be no voice or havok). Submit your changes to LL. Job done. 

LL will roll your changes into the mainline viewer, add it to their build servers, create debian packages and host a repository. Which amounts to them fully supporting the Linux client going forward.

These changes will then be distributed with the mainline viewer source from LL, picked up by all third party viewers who will roll packages and host repositories of their own.

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

In order to compile the stock SL viewer standalone, you will need to overcome a number of errors.

Since there are three known Linux TPVs which run happily and tend to track the LL viewer code at varying intervals, is it even necessary to get LL to provide a Linux viewer? I

• Like 1

Just now, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Since there are three known Linux TPVs which run happily and tend to track the LL viewer code at varying intervals, is it even necessary to get LL to provide a Linux viewer? I

No, no, no. Coffee Pancake insists I do it. Or else .. well .. I don't know .. but it's .. I don't know .. :|

I"m off to bed. 

Edited by TDD123
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Nick0678 said:

Not really...

Kinda is really .. Linux viewers are on borrowed time, there will come a point when the existing mess can't just be hacked into working or LL adds a dependency that can't be met and its cooked. They are under the impression that Wine is an entirely acceptable option.

Ahhh.. The true Linux spirit.

Someone else needs to do it and give it me for free.

I payed for my rig for every component I single handedly put together. I paid for my Windows installation and have it's productkey. I pay for other software among which are Steamgames. I have owned regions in this .. environment. I have spent many Lindens on many items.

You can rest having this unfair unbased opinion, but only fool yourself by applying it to me. 

6 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

And that ends this week's episode of Romper-room. Tune n again next week when we'll be discussing how to modify the Raspberry Pi Minecraft App to connect to Secondlife...

We are gonna need a standalone arm port sooner or later .. not just for the M1 macs. Windows on ARM is coming.

A side effect would be SL on a Pi. Which would be cool.

A side effect would be SL on a Pi. Which would be cool.

I would point you to a Mr Jeff Geerling who has been trying for over a year to get a Graphics card, ANY graphics card, to work on a Raspberry Pi.

Although the beastie does perform marvels with HDMI video, it has no OpenGL support, which is s sort of a hobbling function.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

Kinda is really .. Linux viewers are on borrowed time, there will come a point when the existing mess can't just be hacked into working or LL adds a dependency that can't be met and its cooked. They are under the impression that Wine is an entirely acceptable option.

I am sure those who will still be interested about SL will see what they can do when that happens.

(probably most of us won't even be playing Second Life by that time)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 944 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.