Terraforming Mainland: How Low Can You Go?

Feorie Frimon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been eyeballing this particular piece of abandoned land for a few weeks now - it's kind of a weird one because it has a 'built in canal' right through it, and it's not a protected pathway. Call me crazy, but I want to claim a piece of it with space on both sides and do something cool with the water. 

That being said, how much can I terraform it or widen it out? Is there a general rule of thumb for how much land will raise or lower on the mainland or a place I can look to see my parcel's height maxes? 

Check out the pic for a little perspective! :)

ForumPic.jpg

• Like 3

Most of Mainland is +4/-4 metres from default.  A few Regions on Sansara have a rare +40/-40 limit ♥  In my experience, I just use the largest Smooth at about half strength and terraform in a circular motion like erasing a chalkboard and then decorate using that as a default that is blended to the surrounding parcels. and if any land pops through a garden or a path where I don't want it to I just use the smallest Lower and the smallest Strength and tap the spot until it disappears, if that helps ♥  Thank you for being interested in revitalizing Mainland!  Every bit helps it look a bit more loved ♥

• Like 6

That ±4m limit is indeed standard, but if you want to check the terraforming limits to make sure, use the usual "About Land" interaction to get a "Place Profile" like this:

1315766235_Screenshot2021-07-01162706.thumb.png.58eb6df5b6ce0507792107bdc60ad751.png

Expand the Region section, then choose "Region/Estate" window's "Terrain" tab to get the Terrain Raise and Lower Limits.

(I've obscured the region name because you'll note its limits are ±100m, which is extremely unusual on Mainland. Landowners on this region avoid the "terror-forming" of the ±40m "color" sims on Sansara; hence, to the casual observer the region looks like standard-issue Mainland.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Feorie Frimon said:

I've been eyeballing this particular piece of abandoned land for a few weeks now - it's kind of a weird one because it has a 'built in canal' right through it, and it's not a protected pathway. Call me crazy, but I want to claim a piece of it with space on both sides and do something cool with the water. 

That being said, how much can I terraform it or widen it out? Is there a general rule of thumb for how much land will raise or lower on the mainland or a place I can look to see my parcel's height maxes? 

Check out the pic for a little perspective! :)

ForumPic.jpg

WOW!  Looks stunning as is.

So how high are those cliffs?

I guess I should mention that to find out how high the cliffs are, hover such that your feet are just over the water to get the water height (probably 20), then fly up to the cliff and land on it to get the land height.  Then subtract water height from land height.

• Like 2

Looks like they are 28 feet high? (Water is at 20, and the top of the cliff is 48) 

Cool, right??? I've been hunting for all these neat abandoned land plots to rehab and develop to sell back to residents, but I stumble across some really unique ones that I just fall in love with. If I can get a good cut of this one, I think I'm going to make it the Operation Mainland hub. 

Edited by Feorie Frimon
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Feorie Frimon said:

Looks like they are 28 feet high? (Water is at 20, and the top of the cliff is 48) 

Cool, right??? I've been hunting for all these neat abandoned land plots to rehab and develop to sell back to residents, but I stumble across some really unique ones that I just fall in love with. If I can get a good cut of this one, I think I'm going to make it the Operation Mainland hub. 

Very cool! 🥰

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Feorie Frimon said:

I want to claim a piece of it 

What if someone wants thd whole thing though? If you take the good little part to flip and resell, there will still be land all around it empty, now without water. Many people do this but i know your goal it to make mainland better.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

What if someone wants thd whole thing though? If you take the good little part to flip and resell, there will still be land all around it empty, now without water. Many people do this but i know your goal it to make mainland better.

That's a fair point. I don't want to flip and resell this one - I haven't had a whole lot of luck selling land that isn't right on the road anyway and this is close to road, but not right on it. There is almost half a sim of abandoned land on that sim and it's right next to an ancient Linden waterfall, a giant castle, and an old Arabian looking build. It's been abandoned for quite a while.

I ended up claiming 2048 (which isn't exactly a small parcel), and it will end up being a 'community space' for anyone to enjoy. I'll show you guys pictures and post an SURL if I get it/when it's done. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Pure Tier Rental is L$0.225 per m2 per week… if you don’t have any spare tier to grab some land around it.  Improve it, ask for the Pure Tier to be donated to her Operation Mainland Group and set up a rental or 2… or 6… or 100… blended and decorated to her Headquarters decor and theme!  Imagine the traffic those rentals will get on land surrounding Headquarters!  Use the Rental income to pay the tier rental!  🥳😻🏠.  🗺—->🌎 it’s a wonderful world!!! ❤️

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Feorie Frimon said:

So it might be that the original elevation/base level is 24 meters.  The water area was set to the maximum lowest, -4 meters from base, or 20 meters -- though, wait a sec, how DEEP is the water?  The cliffs are set as high as possible, +4 meters above the base, or 28 meters.

Key word there is "might".  Your best bet is to ask about the elevation parameters when you fill out the land request ticket.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

How do you get to "Place Profile" again?

On the LL viewer it is in the 'World' drop down menu, but also there is the 'Region/Estate' window so you can go to it direct. If you go to the 'Terrain' tab in that window it shows you the terrain raise and lower limits next to the water height as shown in Qie's posted image.

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

How do you get to "Place Profile" again?

What I usually do is click the 🛈 symbol in the address bar when I'm over the parcel, but I gather there are folks who don't show the address bar in their viewers, so @Sister Nova's suggestion to use the World menu is better.

• Thanks 3

23 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

That ±4m limit is indeed standard, but if you want to check the terraforming limits to make sure, use the usual "About Land" interaction to get a "Place Profile" like this:

1315766235_Screenshot2021-07-01162706.thumb.png.58eb6df5b6ce0507792107bdc60ad751.png

Expand the Region section, then choose "Region/Estate" window's "Terrain" tab to get the Terrain Raise and Lower Limits.

(I've obscured the region name because you'll note its limits are ±100m, which is extremely unusual on Mainland. Landowners on this region avoid the "terror-forming" of the ±40m "color" sims on Sansara; hence, to the casual observer the region looks like standard-issue Mainland.)

The ultimate luxury - to be able to terraform the heck out of something and choosing not to do so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Rufferta said:

The ultimate luxury - to be able to terraform the heck out of something and choosing not to do so.

Ah, well, "to the casual observer" it appears there's been only the most subtle of terraforming but upon, uh, deeper inspection…

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.