How Does Your SL Look Today?

Bagnu

I spent several hours wandering around mainland by foot, coming across a bunch of neat parcels and fun places.

Snapshot_350.thumb.jpg.bdd5a7573a20bc270737f794158bc6e3.jpg

I never did find the older builds I was looking for.

Snapshot_338.thumb.jpg.5bd15499a89205295080e68831c2d8f7.jpg

I took a ton of pictures though, it was all very scenic.  I think this is one of the older welcome areas, so I did find one older build.  

After all of that walking, I was feeling a little thirsty so I thought I would try my luck with a long island iced tea.. this time I thought I would outfit myself with a little artillery in the event that Anubis did not want to cooperate.  I even put on a cyborg avatar, I had to keep it real with a plaid tube top though.

Snapshot_367.thumb.jpg.57e4a3d926b4cff96e58b5a1c4842995.jpg

Snapshot_368.thumb.jpg.4733570da1087272d0ba55ca4662aba7.jpg

It was a tight fit, but I managed to get into Helios.

Snapshot_369.thumb.jpg.0cae2400c526c5efd16dfebb2a8797d8.jpg

Hopefully, he will comply.

• Like 14

We all need a laugh, right?  I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why my old skybox had a weird light colored square in the middle of the floor.  That's never been there before.  Was this some weirdness from the new PBR viewer I was using?  What the heck?  Click this? Select that face? Select a linked part? Check all the textures?   Did I put a semi-transparent prim down for some reason? I have no idea.  Wait for it, though...

image.thumb.jpeg.5beaceeda5405fe1748675bc15edd01f.jpeg

Apparently, shadows and projectors were on by default.  I never turn them on with the other viewers unless I was taking a pic.  This was light shining into the opening on top of the skybox.  Yep... *gets another cup of coffee*

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

We all need a laugh, right?  I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why my old skybox had a weird light colored square in the middle of the floor.  That's never been there before.  Was this some weirdness from the new PBR viewer I was using?  What the heck?  Click this? Select that face? Select a linked part? Check all the textures?   Did I put a semi-transparent prim down for some reason? I have no idea.  Wait for it, though...

Apparently, shadows and projectors were on by default.  I never turn them on with the other viewers unless I was taking a pic.  This was light shining into the opening on top of the skybox.  Yep... *gets another cup of coffee*

I always have shadows and projectors turned on by default. I've never seen that square before. It might have something to with the settings combined with PBR.

This looks like the results of a reflection probe. Are you using a PBR-enabled viewer?

ETA: Reread your post, and you are using a PBR viewer. Ordinarily, I'd lay money this is from a reflection probe, but if it's not a pretty new skybox, that seems unlikely.

Have you tried highlighting transparent to see if there is an object corresponding to the size and shape of the anomaly, or showing reflection probes?

ETA YET AGAIN: God, I really need to read more carefully. Ok, you solved it: it's a skylight.

/me goes off to get a coffee, which clearly she really needs.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This looks like the results of a reflection probe. Are you using a PBR-enabled viewer?

ETA: Reread your post, and you are using a PBR viewer. Ordinarily, I'd lay money this is from a reflection probe, but if it's not a pretty new skybox, that seems unlikely.

Have you tried highlighting transparent to see if there is an object corresponding to the size and shape of the anomaly, or showing reflection probes?

It could also be a from a simple prim with light emitting from only one face, and focussed.  I have used that technique many times.

pic_2437.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

It could also be a from a simple prim with light emitting from only one face, and focussed.  I have used that technique many times.

pic_2437.png

It could be but it sounds as though she solved it?

This was light shining into the opening on top of the skybox.

Same difference as a projector, really.

I thought (before reading the last bit of her post) that it might be reflection probe because I've seen similar effects from them in my own experiments. But Occam's Razor wins again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It could be but it sounds as though she solved it?

Same difference as a projector, really.

I thought (before reading the last bit of her post) that it might be reflection probe because I've seen similar effects from them in my own experiments. But Occam's Razor wins again.

It IS the skylight. We experimented to check. My FS PBR alpha didn't show the shadows and projectors at first. I had to switch my preset, and then switch back to see everything. But it IS an alpha.

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 2

The cube on the left is from a PBR material I made in Adobe Substance Sampler. I had to use GLTF packer to be able to import the material into SL. The second is standard, with shine upped just a bit, to match the top of the PBR based cube.. The two pics are under different lighting. I can't remember the EEP settings. I took these pics in the Beta Grid.

Pbre Cube test_001.png

Pbre Cube test_002.png

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 6

28 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

The cube on the left is from a PBR material I made in Adobe Substance Sampler. I had to use GLTF packer to be able to import the material into SL. The second is standard, with shine upped just a bit, to match the top of the PBR based cube.. The two pics are under different lighting. I can't remember the EEP settings. I took these pics in the Beta Grid.

Pbre Cube test_001.png

Pbre Cube test_002.png

Wow. 

I gotta say -- and this reflects on PBR rather than your abilities in Substance Maker -- I think the legacy textures look better in both pics.

The first cube in the second pic has that weird blurry covered-in-vasoline look that I see so much in the PBR viewers under certain common EEP settings.

I'm sorry, but PBR continues to underwhelm me.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 5

On 1/10/2024 at 6:47 AM, Leora Greenwood said:

Where?

"Hello Kitty Waterpark Astralia" in Places Search. It's a whole Hello-Kitty-themed region, the waterpark is just part of it.

Careful though, last time I got there via Search, I ended up in the ocean outside, lol. I think they forgot to reset their landing point. Just find a nice spot and take a landmark, yadda yadda.

It's literally my favorite region besides my home sim, and the two places are nothing alike at all. XD

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Wow. 

I gotta say -- and this reflects on PBR rather than your abilities in Substance Maker -- I think the legacy textures look better in both pics.

The first cube in the second pic has that weird blurry covered-in-vasoline look that I see so much in the PBR viewers under certain common EEP settings.

I'm sorry, but PBR continues to underwhelm me.

It's the same "material" on both cubes, except the first one has more options with PBR. The second has the base texture, normals, and specularity only. But I did up the shine, which to me makes it look worse. I agree with you that the legacy texture looks better. I'm feeling that until everything in SL has a PBR material, we are going to have to pick and choose when and where to use the materials. I also think we need to experiment more before we really can see what's possible.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

It's the same "material" on both cubes, except the first one has more options with PBR. The second has the base texture, normals, and specularity only. But I did up the shine, which to me makes it look worse. I agree with you that the legacy texture looks better. I'm feeling that until everything in SL has a PBR material, we are going to have to pick and choose when and where to use the materials. I also think we need to experiment more before we really can see what's possible.

The difference I assume is less the additional materials in the PBR than the different rendering system.

I've also found that legacy textures often don't look as nice in the PBR viewers, although that's less pronounced. To repeat something I've said before, I think the new rendering system has broken the old EEP settings. Hence the necessity of creating a brand new "Midday" setting just for PBR.

I think they need to do that for many of the library EEPs, especially the brighter ones.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The difference I assume is less the additional materials in the PBR than the different rendering system.

I've also found that legacy textures often don't look as nice in the PBR viewers, although that's less pronounced. To repeat something I've said before, I think the new rendering system has broken the old EEP settings. Hence the necessity of creating a brand new "Midday" setting just for PBR.

I think they need to do that for many of the library EEPs, especially the brighter ones.

I can't comment on the new rendering system. I don't know anything about it. But I don't know how to use the probes in SL other than to create a mirror. They are normally used to create a lighting environment in a 3d modeling program. They might be necessary in SL to do that too, to prevent the vaseline look. I'm just guessing. 

Also, geometry affects everything too. I used a simple cube for testing. Things could look vastly different with more complex geometry.

Edited by Bagnu

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

But I don't know how to use the probes in SL other than to create a mirror. They are normally used to create a lighting environment in a 3d modeling program. They might be necessary in SL to do that too, to prevent the vaseline look. I'm just guessing.

Reflection probes have relatively few parameters to play with in the current system: shape (box or sphere), "dynamics" (will it capture "skinned" objects like avatars in reflections), and "near clip" (if there is an object or something in the middle you don't want captured in reflections, as for instance a central pillar). The one that really impacts on lighting is "ambiance," which allows you to adjust the amount of "ambient" i.e., "reflected" light that appears within the probe. The value of the ambiance determines whether, for instance, the interior of the probe is darker than the exterior EEP lighting: it can reduce the amount of lighting from the EEP (and determines how much of this blends with local lighting -- projectors and point lights) but it doesn't change the quality of the light.

If the ambient lighting is lower within the probe, that will likely reduce the "shininess" just by virtue of the fact that there is less light reflecting off the surface. But it doesn't really change the effect. All you're really doing is making it darker.

The other thing is that, for the vast majority of instances, reflection probes are only going to be applied to interior spaces. I can imagine rare cases where you might want to apply them to an exterior space, but generally you're expected to use EEP settings for that instead.

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

Also, geometry affects everything too. I used a simple cube for testing. Things could look vastly different with more complex geometry.

Maybe? I've never heard this suggested, but I suppose it's possible?

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1