How Does Your SL Look Today?

Bagnu

18 minutes ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

I went to log in just now and saw this, I am so freaking happy for no reason other than I am so happy your passion and detail are being appreciated by many, congrats! (and the fact that it says 3/16 is way cool to me). This is how my SL looks today. Happy.

image.thumb.jpeg.7866830c2ca294b065fd7257a81cb1df.jpeg

Oh how sweet! Don't know what to say, but I appreciate these kind words.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, 2Tessa said:

HD like VGA 🤣 🤣  🙄

I LOVED this! Lose the UI and it is PERFECT! (Well, close enough, amiright?) lol

Oh, unless you intentionally left the UI so we can see what you are doing, that's cool too. Love it regardless.

Edited by Charolotte Caxton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm so happy happy, I have made a picture wall. Handmade in blender! The woodgrain bends 45 degrees in the corners, as they should. 2 days ago, I could not do it. And the whole wall, is 0.5 land impact and 0.2 download. Meaning I can make a second picture collection - different frames and motives - link those for 1 land impact! Yeah, this will save me land impact.

my frames_001.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

Oh! You are the best. What kind? I am deciding between Monarch or some kind of yellow blue I saw, cant recall the name.

There are some Monarchs and Yellow swallowtale butterflies at the tulip field (location of the little tulip field is Waterland, Dutch estate).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, archangel969 said:

Was searching on MP for proper Dutch pancakes, but could not find them. The closest are the rolled pancakes in the picture I bought.

The thing is: Dutch pancakes are NOT the same as pancakes in the US! They were way smaller then Dutch pancakes. Dutch pancakes are as big as your plate, thinner and not as fluffy. And no, Dutch pancakes are NOT the same as French crepes who are even thinner then Dutch pancakes.

In this videoclip 'geheimen' (Secrets) of Clean pete, a Dutch duo, are the people eating proper Dutch pancakes. With stroop or powdered sugar. And if you're asking what the heck she is singing about... It's all about love of course.  'I see secrets in your eyes.'

Snapshot_2081208295_001.png

I immediately thought of crepes. 

Edited by Charolotte Caxton
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I'm so happy happy, I have made a picture wall. Handmade in blender! The woodgrain bends 45 degrees in the corners, as they should. 2 days ago, I could not do it. And the whole wall, is 0.5 land impact and 0.2 download. Meaning I can make a second picture collection - different frames and motives - link those for 1 land impact! Yeah, this will save me land impact.

my frames_001.png

I am so happy for you, I just re downloaded Blender and hope to make the things I cannot find. Awesome!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

my frames_001.png

You are miles ahead of me. I have Blender somewhere on my pc but the only thing I got from it when I used it was a headache :-).

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Believe me, Blender has made me cry so many times. To get the corner of the frame mited correct. For at least 2 years my woodgrain went one way all over the frame.💔😭 I have 1st step done now, assigning materials. So I texture oldfashioned in SL. Now, the next step with textures... it really is difficult, with UV maps and the whole pack. Later. Now I take the evening off. 😄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Spring came to my region a little earlier than I expected, so I put in a couple of hard days' work to get the gardens started for the season. The work is never done, but @Scylla Rhiadra inspired me to at least get started. Here is a handful of photos to give you a feel for what they look like now. This is the entry from the potting area at the northeast corner of the gardens, just outside the wall. I once thought that I could keep rabbits and other critters out but that's a losing game. I just keep the gate open all the time these days.

RoligGarden3-4-2023_003copy.thumb.jpg.d1b3bc29d21b9937759ff5ab1b0eb547.jpg

Looking west, once I'm inside the wall and past the corner of the house, I can take in the view all the way to the ridge at the far side of my property. In the foreground are the formal beds of poppies and various asters, separated by labyrinthine bricked pathways. As much as I like flowers, I have always been drawn most by decorative trees and shrubs, so they are the real centerpieces here. They, and my growing collection of statuary, fountains, and birdbaths.

The land slopes down to a small frog pond that I can reach by walking down the path to the right in this photo. That's a great place to curl up with a book on a sunny afternoon. At the far end of the gardens, past the deck where I usually have tea when one of the neighbors drops in, is the enclosed onsen where I head when I really want to relax. I'll show you a photo there in a minute.

RoligGarden3-4-2023_009copy.thumb.jpg.a5f6542483457a31e798efcbee433406.jpg

From where I'm standing in the photo above, I can look northwest, toward the stairway that leads over the ridge to my neighbor's house. Here's a better photo from that spot. I love to sit here next to the Athena statue, listening to the trickle of the fountain and waiting patiently for birds to visit. I would much rather be out here than in the house. If I'm not just sitting, there are always things to do.

RoligGarden3-4-2023_001copy.thumb.jpg.3d09fea31c32f69c215a9378b803fe63.jpg

Here's what the formal garden looks like from the other direction. That's the back door of the house, just past the water pump, so the garden really is just outside. It has taken me ages to lay all the brick paths and build all the curved walls, doing a little bit more each year to keep the place looking fresh. The large flowering dogwood behind Athena is new this spring and so are the steps and the railing on the left.

RoligGarden3-4-2023_004copy.thumb.jpg.c2100008807bd878d51ece34886f128b.jpg

And here's the onsen I told you about. I head here, at the far southwest end of the garden, when I need to soak in warm spring water at the end of the day. It's been wonderful to calm my sore muscles and aching joints after a day of planting and building. I actually screened in this little spring the first year that I moved here, almost ten years ago, so it's been here longer than the main garden and most of the things you see in the other photos. Somehow I knew I was always going to need it.

RoligGarden3-4-2023_008copy.thumb.jpg.da7fd267d81ac87607b6c42896083c07.jpg

So, there's a quick walk around the gardens on the south side of the house. If I get around to it some day, I'll post photos around the north side, which is technically the "front" of the house although I don't usually go in and out that way. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

I should have known. As soon as I posted those photos of my garden, a friend said I should have posted a photo of the frog pond too. So OK, here it is.  It's not very big as ponds go, but it is cozy and it's nice to wade around in. The willow tree shades it well. I keep thinking that I ought to do more imaginative planting there.  Frankly, though, I like the simple rustic look -- well, as rustic as I can get with a couple of statues, but you know what I mean. The frogs like it.

RoligGarden3-4-2023_010copy.thumb.jpg.04c4f0103fb14e45b930d584fca41af4.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Spring came to my region a little earlier than I expected, so I put in a couple of hard days' work to get the gardens started for the season. The work is never done, but @Scylla Rhiadra inspired me to at least get started. Here is a handful of photos to give you a feel for what they look like now. This is the entry from the potting area at the northeast corner of the gardens, just outside the wall. I once thought that I could keep rabbits and other critters out but that's a losing game. I just keep the gate open all the time these days.

RoligGarden3-4-2023_003copy.thumb.jpg.d1b3bc29d21b9937759ff5ab1b0eb547.jpg

Looking west, once I'm inside the wall and past the corner of the house, I can take in the view all the way to the ridge at the far side of my property. In the foreground are the formal beds of poppies and various asters, separated by labyrinthine bricked pathways. As much as I like flowers, I have always been drawn most by decorative trees and shrubs, so they are the real centerpieces here. They, and my growing collection of statuary, fountains, and birdbaths.

The land slopes down to a small frog pond that I can reach by walking down the path to the right in this photo. That's a great place to curl up with a book on a sunny afternoon. At the far end of the gardens, past the deck where I usually have tea when one of the neighbors drops in, is the enclosed onsen where I head when I really want to relax. I'll show you a photo there in a minute.

RoligGarden3-4-2023_009copy.thumb.jpg.a5f6542483457a31e798efcbee433406.jpg

From where I'm standing in the photo above, I can look northwest, toward the stairway that leads over the ridge to my neighbor's house. Here's a better photo from that spot. I love to sit here next to the Athena statue, listening to the trickle of the fountain and waiting patiently for birds to visit. I would much rather be out here than in the house. If I'm not just sitting, there are always things to do.

RoligGarden3-4-2023_001copy.thumb.jpg.3d09fea31c32f69c215a9378b803fe63.jpg

Here's what the formal garden looks like from the other direction. That's the back door of the house, just past the water pump, so the garden really is just outside. It has taken me ages to lay all the brick paths and build all the curved walls, doing a little bit more each year to keep the place looking fresh. The large flowering dogwood behind Athena is new this spring and so are the steps and the railing on the left.

RoligGarden3-4-2023_004copy.thumb.jpg.c2100008807bd878d51ece34886f128b.jpg

And here's the onsen I told you about. I head here, at the far southwest end of the garden, when I need to soak in warm spring water at the end of the day. It's been wonderful to calm my sore muscles and aching joints after a day of planting and building. I actually screened in this little spring the first year that I moved here, almost ten years ago, so it's been here longer than the main garden and most of the things you see in the other photos. Somehow I knew I was always going to need it.

RoligGarden3-4-2023_008copy.thumb.jpg.da7fd267d81ac87607b6c42896083c07.jpg

So, there's a quick walk around the gardens on the south side of the house. If I get around to it some day, I'll post photos around the north side, which is technically the "front" of the house although I don't usually go in and out that way. 

You were also earlier with spring 🙂 This is really lovely!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, archangel969 said:

LOL, marvelous this one!

I'm glad you like the picture. I'm also glad you don't mind the tent in the tulip bed. That sim is sweet, I love it.

• Like 3

Finally found time today to do some more work on the refurbishment of the SLLU's Unity Station on Heterocera Atoll, focussing on the daycare centre playground. It's got . . . swings, two slides, a climber, a sandbox, one of those springy-rocking-horse thingies, and a trike. The mural on the back wall is originally from Johnson City, and is entitled "We'll Always Be Together"; it's by street artist "Daas." The orange banner that reads "Every Child Matters" relates to advocacy for indigenous children in Canada, in the aftermath of revelations of decades of abuse suffered by First Nations kids at residential schools.

We're naming the centre after Dorothy Pitman Hughes, who, mostly famously, appeared in an iconic photo with Gloria Steinem raising her fist in salute, but who was more importantly a pioneering black feminist and a passionate child welfare advocate who opened a community-run cooperative daycare for local working women in the late 60s, the West 80th Community Childcare Center. She also founded the New York City Agency for Child Development. (Clicking on the sign opens a page about her.) She seemed a really appropriate woman to celebrate in this context.

I did have one of those weird "virtual moments" while placing the climber, which I initially had a bit closer to the picket fence. And then I thought . . . what if a child were to fall off, and land on one of spiky fence posts!?!?!? So, yeah . . . I moved the climber further away . . . 😏

Oh, and . . . showed this pic to an in-world friend today, who looked at it, and asked if I was pregnant. 🙄

Daycare-Blank.thumb.png.d4b7a03758a77ce1caf76a9c7b78c0b9.png

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

Oh! You are the best. What kind? I am deciding between Monarch or some kind of yellow blue I saw, cant recall the name.

Go with yellow blue butterflies, monarchs flood the air, can't see the sim.

Edited by cirleen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

I immediately thought of crepes. 

Crepes are close, but they are thinner then Dutch pancakes. And crepes are a snack, pancakes are a whole meal. Dutch pancakes are really easy to make! In this article an American food scientist explainces it all 🙂

https://medium.com/the-cookbook-for-all/dutch-pancakes-explained-by-an-american-food-scientist-a8804ba3587

0 yfbFCDdtdUsxXXOS.jpg

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, cirleen said:

Go with yellow blue butterflies, monarchs flood the air, can't see the sim.

33 minutes ago, archangel969 said:

Crepes are close, but they are thinner then Dutch pancakes. And crepes are a snack, pancakes are a whole meal. Dutch pancakes are really easy to make!

I love Second Life.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, archangel969 said:

Crepes are close, but they are thinner then Dutch pancakes. And crepes are a snack, pancakes are a whole meal.

Looks pretty much identical to how we make pancakes in Sweden, though we do have some variants. Traditionally, on Thursdays you'll eat pea soup (served with warm punch - the arrack spirit, not 'Murrican 'punch'), and for dessert you'll have pancakes (made with extra butter - lots and lots extra butter) with jam and whipped cream. For main course pancakes the recipe is the same as those in the link. Then we have raggmunk - make a regular pancake batter and add shredded potato and onions, served with lingonberry jam and fried pork. 

Raggmunk: 

raggmunk.jpg

Ärtsoppa med pannkakor:

3-pannkakor-och-c3a4rtsoppa.jpg

• Like 5