does anyone have an opengl solution

celors

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 962 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

on December 31st I was playing on the firertorm and out of nowhere the OPENGL problems started my configuration and that I can only log in by the singularity I have tried everything to install the abandonalars driver drivers I have formatted my computer 2 times and the problem persists does anyone have a solution for problem, from already thank you..my configuration of my pc and this that is below

Singularity Viewer (64 bit) 1.8.9 (8338) Apr  4 2020 08:14:30 (Singularity Release)
Notas de Distribuição

Grid: Second Life

Built with MSVC version 1925

You are at 193762.5, 295548.9, 21.5 in Lexa (756, 1154) located at ec2-34-219-146-201.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com (34.219.146.201:13023)
Second Life Server 2021-01-08.554811
Notas de Distribuição

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor              (3600.01 MHz)
Memory: 16334 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 19042)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 27.20.14527.2002
OpenGL Version: 4.2.14758 Compatibility Profile Context 21.1.1 27.20.14527.2002
RLV Version: RLV v2.8.0 / RLVa v1.4.10a

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.61.0 OpenSSL/1.1.0g zlib/1.2.11 WinIDN
J2C Decoder Version: OpenJPEG: 1.5.2
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.00.07
Dullahan: 1.3.201911222103 / CEF: 78.3.7+gea7ef34+chromium-78.0.3904.108 / Chrome: 78
LibVLC: 3.0.8
Packets Lost: 801/295280 (0.3%)

OK. Here's a good test for graphics. The Valley is a test and benchmark for Epic's Unreal Engine 4. You download it and run it, and it shows you a nice forest valley. It looks like a game, but nothing happens except the viewpoint moving around to give you a tour. Start it up and let it run for an hour. It uses CPU, RAM, and the graphics card very heavily. If it runs for an hour with no failures, your computer is fine. If it fails, your computer needs maintenance.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, animats said:

OK. Here's a good test for graphics. The Valley is a test and benchmark for Epic's Unreal Engine 4. You download it and run it, and it shows you a nice forest valley. It looks like a game, but nothing happens except the viewpoint moving around to give you a tour. Start it up and let it run for an hour. It uses CPU, RAM, and the graphics card very heavily. If it runs for an hour with no failures, your computer is fine. If it fails, your computer needs maintenance.

I'm downloading and I'm going to test, well I tested it worked perfectly without crashing, but I think it may be the second life game, because it doesn't make much sense, I play other more complex games and it never gave a problem, call of duty, fortnite, gta

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, arabellajones said:

OpenGL is now at end-of-life and deprecated by Apple but I have seen reports of problems with recent drivers for some AMD cards. I recommend you check on that first. It may not be an OpenGL problem.

good afternoon, it's an opengl error take a look at the prints, my card is up to date, last update was on 18/01/2021, I formatted my computer yesterday I redid the entire procedure for installing driver and viewer and I was unable to solve this problem ...

PLACA1 - Copia.png (342×231)  PLACA2 - Copia.png (604×89)

16 hours ago, arabellajones said:

OpenGL is now at end-of-life and deprecated by Apple but I have seen reports of problems with recent drivers for some AMD cards. I recommend you check on that first. It may not be an OpenGL problem.

Only because Apple deprecates it because they are too stupid to create proper implementations for a decade doesn't make it end of life!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ansariel Hiller said:

Only because Apple deprecates it because they are too stupid to create proper implementations for a decade doesn't make it end of life!

nobody is going to follow apple into this rabbit hole,  if they do,  that's on them,  openGL is needed for rendering on so many things and apple is not going to be able to force that, but it's cute people want to think apple controls everything, people need to come up for air.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

nobody is going to follow apple into this rabbit hole,  if they do,  that's on them,  openGL is needed for rendering on so many things and apple is not going to be able to force that, but it's cute people want to think apple controls everything, people need to come up for air.

It's not so much that "Apple controls everything," but rather that someone generally needs to take the first step before others are more inclined to follow. It can't be someone small like a single game dev studio. It needs to be someone higher up that can actually influence what others do.

If you're not one of the big platforms, it's your choice whether to support ancient tech or not. But if you want your software to run on Macs, you have to look beyond old OpenGL. And when you're doing that, you might as well use the new development for other platforms as well, not just Apple's.

This doesn't apply to just OpenGL and the changes won't be instant, but there can't be change until someone steps beyond OpenGL.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

It's not so much that "Apple controls everything," but rather that someone generally needs to take the first step before others are more inclined to follow. It can't be someone small like a single game dev studio. It needs to be someone higher up that can actually influence what others do.

If you're not one of the big platforms, it's your choice whether to support ancient tech or not. But if you want your software to run on Macs, you have to look beyond old OpenGL. And when you're doing that, you might as well use the new development for other platforms as well, not just Apple's.

This doesn't apply to just OpenGL and the changes won't be instant, but there can't be change until someone steps beyond OpenGL.

True, Apple has to do the first step in trying to force people into using their proprietary new technology for better lock-in effects. If it were about evolution into a new technology, they could have simply switched to Vulkan and not Metal. But "outdated technology" sells much better than "we were too stupid to fix out OpenGL implementation and now want you to use our new proprietary thingy to make platform independent programming much more complicated" - killing two birds with one stone.

Beside that: Who apart from hipsters really still want to use Mac after they annoyed the professionals with their ancient workstations without ways to upgrade them? 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We're confusing the new user. Someone is having a specific problem with Windows 10 and the Radeon driver. It's not obvious what's wrong; other graphical stuff is running OK, but Firestorm won't start. He needs help from someone with Firestorm on Windows expertise.

• Like 3

Its not just apple people having issues OpenGL is basically on life support AMD pushing it to a back seat 6.6 FPS is NOT OK on a Radion 6000 series card While LL is working on the backend for Sl longevity and that great. But if they don't look at changing the frontend SL will die anyway 

if anyone from LL reads this Vulcan Look into it.  It's a modernized OpenGL that takes advantage of modern GPUs and won't be that hard to convert to.  

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Atosuria Daviau said:

if anyone from LL reads this Vulcan Look into it.  It's a modernized OpenGL that takes advantage of modern GPUs and won't be that hard to convert to.  

Having personally only scratched the surface with programming with Vulkan, I would not say it "won't be that hard to convert to."

Overall design aside, it's totally different from OpenGL in terms of how you have to implement stuff. OpenGL does so much for you automatically that you have to do explicitly in Vulkan. There's absolutely no way to just swap from one to the other, it requires a complete rewrite of how literally everything is handled.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Atosuria Daviau said:

Its not just apple people having issues OpenGL is basically on life support AMD pushing it to a back seat 6.6 FPS is NOT OK on a Radion 6000 series card While LL is working on the backend for Sl longevity and that great. But if they don't look at changing the frontend SL will die anyway 

while there are certain bridges microsoft has released,  there is no direct layer to use vulkan as of yet with openGL.    it kills performance in some testings I've seen and tinkered with.  Native support has to be done, but to have that done, it's going to take some one,  maybe not LL,  but some 3rd party making the viewer from scratch, but I'm not sure whom has that kind of time in today's world.

8 hours ago, Atosuria Daviau said:

If you catch the viewer related meetings , which are posted on Youtube, they have been discussing the situation with OpenGL and Vulkan for a bit now, still trying to decide which is the best path forward. It's definitely on their radar.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi. I never had any problem until the latest versions of the Firestorm viewer. Every time I try to open the search window, Marketplace and other things, I crash and get a message that says "Nvidia OpenGL driver found a problem with the display, error code 3". I have GeForce 8400 GS and updated the drivers but can't find a new version of that one in particular. Can I at least go back to an older version of the viewer? I'd appreciate your help. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't give any specific advice, but the GeForce 8400 GS is a very old piece of hardware, maybe still usable in a business/office environment, and I'd wonder if the processor can do the things that an SL Viewer needs. I'd check whether the same happens with an alternative up-to-date viewer. The current Firestorm is pretty close to the SL Viewer.

Updating video cards can get messy; power to the card, the type of video output, and a combination of fake hardware and the chip shortages. Check the benchmarks, relatively ordinary current cards have 20 times the speed while using less power.

I don't believe SL or Firestorm requires anything an 8400gs can't do. If you don't mind 6fps like, everywhere. I tried to replicate the problem with a GeForce 210 (practically the same card) on a fully updated copy of Windows 10 and couldn't. I don't think the problem is Firestorm or the card. I'd try a clean install of the latest version of the drivers from the nVidia web site.

3 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

I don't believe SL or Firestorm requires anything an 8400gs can't do. If you don't mind 6fps like, everywhere. I tried to replicate the problem with a GeForce 210 (practically the same card) on a fully updated copy of Windows 10 and couldn't. I don't think the problem is Firestorm or the card. I'd try a clean install of the latest version of the drivers from the nVidia web site.

Let's repeat that. 8400GS, nobody should be using SL with bad hardware.

• Like 1

Hmm, I find that reducing from 1920 x 1200 to 800 x 600 does not increase frame rate at all, where I am standing this moment, with the current surroundings and settings.  I suspect my Intel i9-9900k and NVidia 1070 need some different sort of help.  Also, Second Life Viewer UI gets really weird when size is less than 1000 x 700.  Glad I don't try to run SL on a potato.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 962 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.