The Halloween Film Discussion & Tip Thread

Orwar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ā  Ā 'Tis the season to be frightened! Well. Should be, except people these days thinks dressing up as a *****ty tube of toothpaste is a fun Halloween costume, and that jump-scare CGI films are 'horror'.Ā 

Ā  Ā So, this thread is intended to be a place where people can discuss and suggest Halloween-appropriateĀ films, and whilst I can't stop anyone from having appallingĀ taste and thinking that 'The Nun' and its ilk areĀ actual horror films, I'll at least try to steer people towards proper horror.

Ā  Ā So here are my three films for *today:

• The Fearless Vampire Killers: A 1967 film by (and starring) Roman Polanski, Jack MacGowran, and Sharon Tate.
    Okay, so this is a comedy, but if you haven't seen this film you can't claim to be a true vampire fan.

Ā 
  • An American Werewolf in London:Ā the 1981 cult classic that managed to be both 'too funny' and 'too scary'.Ā 
    Again with a touch of comedy, this is perhaps the best werewolf film ever made. Famous for the transformation scene that 'changed cinematic history' - whatever that means.
  • The House of Usher: Vincent Price in a story by Edgar Allan Poe? Oh, yes!
    This film has been dubbed 'culturally, historically and aesthetically significant' by the National Film Registry, and if the words alone aren't convincing, perhaps the trailer will be.

Ā  Ā So, there are my picks, and I believe tonight I shall enjoy ... All of them. With many cups of tea to accompany me.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Rosemary's Baby gets one thumb up, and about 40 "Ewwwwws"

I was going toĀ suggest this one. So glad I watched it before I was pregnant. I read the book too and after I had my son,Ā I was very struck by how muchĀ the author, a man, seemed to have such an understanding of that sideĀ of pregnancy in which everyone else knows what's best for you.

I'd like to add It Follows, famous for having almost no jump scares but it's absolutely terrifying and very unsettling for various spoiler reasons that I won't mention. And Get Out. I don't like slashers or gorefests, but I do love a good psychological or supernatural horror.Ā 

And if you want black comedy horror, is anything better than Little Shop of Horrors and The Rocky Horror Picture Show?

• Like 2

My contribution to the discussion: mad killer leaves a trail of deaths along his hitch-hiking path in search for an opponent worthy of makingĀ him stop. When you click the play button, the video starts at one of the best (non-gory) scenes. The hitcher guy (Rutger Hauer, who else) puts coins over the eyes of his terrified victim, thereby symbolizing paying the ferryman to cross the river Styx.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.