Nice People

alienaisha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm the type of person that's super shy and I don't like to bother/message people , just a complex I have but it's gotten better. I'm always polite and formal when I reach out to people but golly do I feel bad about it >.<

Well, I messaged a creator earlier with a request and not only did they get back to me right away (I thought I'd get ignored) but not only did they go above & beyond for what I had asked for, they wanted to do it for free. Obviously I insisted on paying them and gave them a good amount of $L, but they were so nice and pleasant and it really warmed my heart 🙂

Now I feel less intimidated and anxious about messaging creators. It doesn't hurt to ask, worst case scenario they ignore you , right?

Was wondering if anyone else wanted to share a nice story about an interaction they'd had in-world and spread some positivity :,)? 

• Like 10

A very long time ago, while I was finding my feet in SL and roleplaying, I had an interaction in an Arabian Nights sim with a small group of people. I was winging it but getting very immersed, and it somehow came up that I might have undiscovered magical powers and be able to control the weather. So I gave it a go and lo and behold, it rained and shone as I commanded it. I didn't want to break the immersion by asking how it was working...in retrospect, I guess someone must have had a rain rezzer or something. But it left me feeling so happy that they'd gone to that trouble to give me a good RP experience and was the first time I really felt myself properly embodied in my role and in the fantasy world.

I once complimented a total random on her beautiful outfit and asked where she got it. She not only told me but then gave one to me...it wasn't cheap by the standards of the day. 

• Like 8

In my first week I asked someone how to open doors and he showed me, then gave me 1,000L 😲

And a couple who owned an arts sim helped me make a sky box and then let me and my friends stay on the sim at 3,000m for free. 

Hmm I could be here all night...lots of people in SL have been kind to me ☺️

• Like 4

2 hours ago, nyahrou said:

Now I feel less intimidated and anxious about messaging creators. It doesn't hurt to ask, worst case scenario they ignore you , right?

I always used to ask, I don't think anyone was rude back. Maybe one or two ignored. 

I once asked the great SL blogger Syd the Squid for help and she tracked down some skins and clothes for me ☺️

• Like 3

3 hours ago, nyahrou said:

I'm the type of person that's super shy and I don't like to bother/message people

You need to keep in mind that most people who come to SL come here to meet people, so they are not going to be bothered by your IMs

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

A very long time ago, while I was finding my feet in SL and roleplaying, I had an interaction in an Arabian Nights sim with a small group of people. I was winging it but getting very immersed, and it somehow came up that I might have undiscovered magical powers and be able to control the weather. So I gave it a go and lo and behold, it rained and shone as I commanded it. I didn't want to break the immersion by asking how it was working...in retrospect, I guess someone must have had a rain rezzer or something. But it left me feeling so happy that they'd gone to that trouble to give me a good RP experience and was the first time I really felt myself properly embodied in my role and in the fantasy world.

I once complimented a total random on her beautiful outfit and asked where she got it. She not only told me but then gave one to me...it wasn't cheap by the standards of the day. 

This is honestly the most wholesome thing I've ever read.

• Like 3

When I had my first account in 2006, I had a pair of patchwork jeans in old system layers. I loved those jeans, but when I got this account, they were no longer available for sale. So I IM'd the creator and asked him if he still had a copy and if so could I buy them? He sent them to me for free, and refused to accept any payment for them. (That was Lion Valentino of Junglewear).

I've messaged other creators over the years and all of them have resolved my issue quickly and easily. And last week I had the pleasure of meeting Alina Gabilondo of No_match, while she was off-duty, she is such a sweet and friendly person.

• Like 3

I don't know the name of the first Nice Person I met in SL.  He came up to me at an Infohub, where I had just arrived fresh from Orientation Island (the old, old version of Learning Island).  He took me to the Free Dove and showed me how to get freebies and unpack them.

This anonymous stranger is responsible for getting me hooked on SL, and I've been trying to repay him ever since, by helping newcomers myself.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I don't know the name of the first Nice Person I met in SL.  He came up to me at an Infohub, where I had just arrived fresh from Orientation Island (the old, old version of Learning Island).  He took me to the Free Dove and showed me how to get freebies and unpack them.

This anonymous stranger is responsible for getting me hooked on SL, and I've been trying to repay him ever since, by helping newcomers myself.

Same thing happened to me.  A lovely woman took time out of her day to show me how to edit my avatar, unpack boxes and numerous things.  I've often wondered if she's still around.  I think I do have her name somewhere on a notecard I made so I wouldn't forget her name.  I may have to go dig that up.

In my experience, the majority of people/creators that I've come in contact with over the years have been pleasant.  If they hadn't been, I don't think many of us would have stuck around as long as we have.  

• Like 2

This is one reason why I dislike all these "full mesh or don't talk to me" and "full mesh or you aren't allowed here" people and places. Obviously people can talk to whom they want and make any rules they like for their regions. But if you remember what a learning curve it was even back in 2007 or earlier, and how much harder it is now with mesh, it's a shame that so many opportunities to bring people in to it organically, by welcoming and involving them, are being actively rejected.

I still do maintain that a well-presented, later system avatar really isn't so hideous that it will destroy your immersion merely by landing eyes on it. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, nyahrou said:

Was wondering if anyone else wanted to share a nice story about an interaction they'd had in-world and spread some positivity :,)? 

Especially when it comes to businesses most business owners regardless if they are creators, land barons or providers of random services will help as much as they can.

Back in July i had a former tenant contact me and ask if i could decorate a house (1024m2) she rented somewhere. Although i don't decorate anymore i did have some time to spare so after we agreed on payment i started working on the interior. Eventually next day her land owner banned her from the land (probably seeing a competitor working there, me in this case, didn't make her happy)  so that girl was left without a home and told me what happened. Of course i gave her back the payment since she didn't have a home anymore for me to work on but from the way she wrote i did understand that she was really sad due to being treated that way and to cheer her up i told her to use my personal Villa Island (65000m2) and enjoy it with her friends for 1 week free.

I also know many clothing creators who when people purchase something in wrong color by mistake and contact them they give the color that the customer really wanted or even a fat pack for free. In some cases i even had custom textured clothes when i asked.

So don't be shy about contacting either by IM or using a notecard with your request/problem and believe it or not politeness is much appreciated.
(there are exceptions of course but that doesn't matter)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.