Choosing the right mesh body and head for my avatar

archangel969

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My name is Angelus, I'm a novelist on SL and I have a question about choosing the right mesh body and head for my avatar. 
The thing is: until now I had a classic system avatar. For years that was fine for me. I found it much more important to make the house where I live the way I wanted and the park surrounding te house. I'm not that vain. But then I desided to have a make-over after all. Not because other residents said it. Some can be very rude. One said to me: "You look awfull! Update your avatar!" Well," I think then, "do I know you?" That's life, I assume. Some people are rude, some are not. Anyway, it's my own decision to have an update. Not others.

The problem is: I want my new look to be like my old one. But better. 
I am attached to my old look. That's why. It's also a bit how I look in RL. And I want it that way.

Can anyone give advise which mesh head and -body are the best choise for my kind of appearance? 
I'm a bit of an intellectual, a writer (novelist to be precise). Not at all a bodybuilder type or a rough guy. I love smart dressing sometimes, but I don't often go out. Sometimes I go to readings and meetings of auteurs. Although I'm a bit of a hermit, I love the contact with other residents. I opened the house and park I furnished (Villa Rudolfo at Sweet Grass) for other residents to come and visit whenever they like.

I allready tried severall Catwa heads with a slink body. But I find it difficult to get a look that I recognise as 'my own.' I only tried demo's and I am not stuck on catwa head/slink body. If there is a better combi possible I'm welcoming it.
Can anyone also give clothing advise? I tried a suit from Lapointe Bastchild for slink bodies, but still the suit seem broken at the back. I assume I did something wrong, but I could'nt find out what.

So, the questions are:
- Which mesh head and -body are the best choise for my kind of appearance?
- Can anyone also give clothing advise?

Well, that are a lot of questions! I hope there is someone who can help me with a few of them! Many, many thanks in advance!

Here is a pic of my old avatar. Fully dressed, so it doesn't offend old system avatar-haters that much LOL.

Angelus van Engelen

old_avatar.jpg

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 3

The best body and head are completely subjective; the ones that are best for you are the ones that can get closest to your original look. However, to allow for best choice of clothing availability, the top two bodies are Signature Gianni and Belleza Jake. You may find that Gianni is too muscular; it's easier to get a slimmer shape with Jake. Not many clothing makers are still making stuff for Slink male.

You'll want to immediately turn on Bakes on Mesh;  that way, you can use the same skin and any system-layer clothing you may have.  Most heads and bodies are either already BOM-ready out of the box, or there's a button on the hud to turn it on. Belleza is a bit behind the times (as usual) - for the Jake body you'll need to pick up a BOM relay (free, from the Belleza mainstore).  Wear the body, wear the relay, click the relay and done.

Two clothing stores come to mind based on your pics; Deadwool and Kauna. Deadwool is a bit on the pricey side but the quality is excellent and its worth getting at least one basic outfit from there. Kauna is technically discontinued but their entire stock is available free from a store in a region called Time Portal (can't find the link as I'm not inworld right now but you'll find it if you do an inworld search for Time Portal). Even if you decide not to get a mesh body, go to Kauna anyway; their stuff will fit classic avatars too.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

The best body and head are completely subjective; the ones that are best for you are the ones that can get closest to your original look. However, to allow for best choice of clothing availability, the top two bodies are Signature Gianni and Belleza Jake. You may find that Gianni is too muscular; it's easier to get a slimmer shape with Jake. Not many clothing makers are still making stuff for Slink male.

You'll want to immediately turn on Bakes on Mesh;  that way, you can use the same skin and any system-layer clothing you may have.  Most heads and bodies are either already BOM-ready out of the box, or there's a button on the hud to turn it on. Belleza is a bit behind the times (as usual) - for the Jake body you'll need to pick up a BOM relay (free, from the Belleza mainstore).  Wear the body, wear the relay, click the relay and done.

Two clothing stores come to mind based on your pics; Deadwool and Kauna. Deadwool is a bit on the pricey side but the quality is excellent and its worth getting at least one basic outfit from there. Kauna is technically discontinued but their entire stock is available free from a store in a region called Time Portal (can't find the link as I'm not inworld right now but you'll find it if you do an inworld search for Time Portal). Even if you decide not to get a mesh body, go to Kauna anyway; their stuff will fit classic avatars too.

Thanks! Belleza Jake is worth a try. And Deadwool is an absolute favorite of mine. I will check out Kauna.

One thing no one has mentioned and was a huge factor for me to finally change my head was to find a skin you like first.  It won't do much good if you purchase a catwa head when the skin you like is for lelutka. I know with BOM they can be used on either.  However, it takes some finesse if you want the look you see on the advert to look the same if it's a different head.  Perhaps visit the store where you purchased the skin you wear now and see what's new.

People often mention head and bodies first when I feel its the skin that will be the biggest factor for your new look being similar to your old.

• Like 3

Isn't the first suit actually rather up to date? Can't look it up right now, but the visual does ring a bell.
Does it or does a redelivery come with certain body fittings? That's a check I'd actually run on your current wardrobe options and see what's already compatible.

Perhaps it'll be different idea to start with "just" a meshhead as most of the body will be alphaed out anyway.
Like Lewis said, the "bakes on mesh" option will allow you to keep your current skin and any system layers you are using, like hairbase or facial hair.

I'd definitely check out LeLutka for both their Skyler and Kane head. Perhaps even Ga.eg's Rick head as an underdog, a quite charismatic look as well.

And it's fine to take a lot of time to try all demos and mess with the shapes to get an idea for the updates look.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RowanMinx said:

One thing no one has mentioned and was a huge factor for me to finally change my head was to find a skin you like first.  It won't do much good if you purchase a catwa head when the skin you like is for lelutka. I know with BOM they can be used on either.  However, it takes some finesse if you want the look you see on the advert to look the same if it's a different head.  Perhaps visit the store where you purchased the skin you wear now and see what's new.

People often mention head and bodies first when I feel its the skin that will be the biggest factor for your new look being similar to your old.

Good point (about the skin)! Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Isn't the first suit actually rather up to date? Can't look it up right now, but the visual does ring a bell.
Does it or does a redelivery come with certain body fittings? That's a check I'd actually run on your current wardrobe options and see what's already compatible.

Perhaps it'll be different idea to start with "just" a meshhead as most of the body will be alphaed out anyway.
Like Lewis said, the "bakes on mesh" option will allow you to keep your current skin and any system layers you are using, like hairbase or facial hair.

I'd definitely check out LeLutka for both their Skyler and Kane head. Perhaps even Ga.eg's Rick head as an underdog, a quite charismatic look as well.

And it's fine to take a lot of time to try all demos and mess with the shapes to get an idea for the updates look.

The first suit is was one of Lapointe Bastchild. Love the style and details. yes, I think a part of my wardrobe has indeed options for severall bodytypes. Will check out Lelutka and the Rick head from Ga.eg sounds interesting, the more charismatic, the better 🙂

19 minutes ago, Josephine Carissa said:

Greetings Archangel,

I'm attaching Skell's blog, (it is a wealth of information & idea's).

http://www.virtualbloke.com/

I can only say to take your time....it took me a long time to go mesh body and even longer to go mesh head. There are so many kind and generous folks that will help you.

Best Regards,

Josephine

Thanks Josephine, this is very good & precious information!

I would like to thank you all for your kind help and support. I have tried severall heads and bodies and skins. I decided to use Catwa Skell head and Belleza Jake body. It will take a while to complete it all, but when the basis is set, the rest will come in time. It was a drag and confusing at first. But everybody here knows it's a complex project, to say the least! Difference between head and body-problems, skin textures that suddenly look messy... I had a lot of fun trying on some of the heads! Now I know how it is to look like the monster of Frankenstein LOL. Anyway, when things work in the end it even is (a bit of) fun!!

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 2

I have not seen anybody ask if you are going to wear short sleeves and swimming trunks some times.

I made a male avatar some months ago. He is wearing mesh clothes of different body rigging, but he does not have to wear a mesh body under. If it fits around the neck and the wrists, it fits him. He's wearing frock coat, hat, gloves and cane from Contraption. https://www.flickr.com/photos/waltonwainwright/

I don't remember the pants and footwear. I can log in later and see.

But the point I am trying to make, is that an avatar that does not show much skin, does not have to worry about what mesh bodies is made for him/her. Wear the closest size and alpha out the default body.

Contraption does not support the free mesh (Classic Meshbody) I got for him, but that does not matter. With all his outfits with clothes, I don't use a mesh body at all. The head is the part that is noticed, the body is clothed so one can't see it anyway.

If he needs to show hands/underarms, I wear the free mesh body and alpha out all other parts than the hands and underarms.

• Like 3

I would like to thank you all for your help, kind words and support! My avatar looks totally  refreshed, but on the other hand still feels like me!

That second aspect is very important: that your apprearance feels right! To show the difference (and resemblence in style) I share an old picture of myself in my hallway (with a portait of a beloved writer on the backgroud: Mary 'Frankenstein' Shelly and the absinth table on the left).

I pasted my new head on the old picture. I am pleased so far. Not totally finished yet, but I resume working on your avatar it's an ungoing journey.

Old and new 2020.jpg

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 7

52 minutes ago, archangel969 said:

I would like to thank you all for your help, kind words and support! My avatar looks totally  refreshed, but on the other hand still feels like me!

That second aspect is very important: that your apprearance feels right! To show the difference (and resemblence in style) I share an old picture of myself in my hallway (with a portait of a beloved writer on the backgroud: Mary 'Frankenstein' Shelly and the absinth table on the left).

I pasted my new head on the old picture. I am pleased so far. Not totally finished yet, but I resume working on your avatar it's an ungoing journey.

Old and new 2020.jpg

Looking very good. So, did you end up with Catwa Skell? Did you use your old skin?

53 minutes ago, archangel969 said:

Yes, this is Catwa Skell! Was a good match. Still my own skin, but I saw very good skins at Stray Dog (has they closed their spot on Marketplace?).

As far as I know, they have not had a MP store.

I am not wearing a mesh body here. It is more triangles, and it is already enough to load as it is. It is still a little under 75 000 in complexity as it is, but the beard itself is 13 500 in complexity. I am looking for a Bento mesh beard with lower complexity, but is not in a hurry, 75 000 is still pretty good.

The head is a free head that's not available anymore.

I am using mesh body sizes, mixing Gianni with Jake, since the pants is another brand, they would cut through the coattails if I used the same size. It does not matter as long as I am satisfied with the fit.

Wicca's Originals - Eagleden Boots Gianni L
Wicca's Originals - Eagleden Legs Gianni R
Wicca's Originals - Wyatt Connector Gianni L
Wicca's Originals - Wyatt Pants R Gianni
[ContraptioN] Atreus Frock  Jake 2.0
[ContraptioN] Cane: Standard Issue Cane R Hand
[ContraptioN] Standard Issue Top Hat mouth
[ContraptioN] The Saboteur's Gloves II gianni M bento

cane collage1.jpg

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.