Sky Signs

SneakyBooger

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We got off on a related tangent in another thread last week in which @animats was looking for a way to depict continent-scale terrain without the "sky junk":

Is there some way to take an orthographic picture? No perspective? That's equivalent to backing off an infinite distance and zooming in. There's no obvious camera setting for that. OpenGL can do it, but it would be easier to not have to dig into a viewer. Also, I'd like to get pictures taken from below the advertising and sky junk level. [emphasis mine]

I know nothing relevant, unfortunately, but it occurs to me that a useful addition to some Third Party Viewers' ability to Derender objects would be to have an altitude clipping function, that simply doesn't render anything that extends more than X meters above ground level, where X is a slider-settable threshold. I mean, not just for taking pictures, but for avoiding the ugly everywhere you go, possibly including the MiniMap. (Not the big Map, though, because those images are a Very Big Deal to produce and maintain, and already clip at 400m altitude, for better or worse.)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ChinRey said:

O que é realmente irritante é que o LL realmente tem uma correção. @Grumpity Lindennos mostrou alguns blocos de mapas realmente bons com telas de malha adequadas quase dois anos atrás. Eles simplesmente nunca chegaram a implementá-lo.

Suggest MORE an extra fee to pay per week, as well as 30 lindens to appear in searches. Another option to mark "Decently appear on the map" ... hmmm ... 100 lindens ??? LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/15/2020 at 5:33 AM, SneakyBooger said:

Are "For Rent" skysigns an issue for people? Like do they bother you?

I know when I used to rent that was my main way I found land to rent everytime I moved. I always would look across the map for Rent skysigns then TP to them.

I'm just curious if people dislike these signs or don't have any issues with them.

How do you feel about them?

Edit: just so people don't get confused.

This question is about the skysigns that show up on the map not sale signs at ground level

I dislike them as they spam up the map. Land for sale already shows up as yellow on the map. Some people abuse this and put land for sale to make it show up, when they actually mean to just rent is.

I personally do not put those signs up in the sky. It just seems like abuse of the map view, spamming it with advertising, and it also means prims up in the sky.

You can put a parcel in search/places for $30 and that works pretty well. There are many other ways to advertise, like listings cards and teleport boards in your office.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I dislike them as they spam up the map. Land for sale already shows up as yellow on the map. Some people abuse this and put land for sale to make it show up, when they actually mean to just rent is.

Ironically, this works for me in reverse. If I get a rental ad and the land is for sale too, I don't rent it, because I'm afraid the guy might want to sell it at any time and I get kicked out. As a customer it confuses me, it disturbs me, since I'm used to it and I prefer rental companies that don't use this device.
There may be a rental company, a rental and sale company, and also a buying and selling company, but when this is all mixed up, I avoid it.
But it was an interesting point, which I had never seen on this side ... putting the sale on, without wanting to sell ... living and learning ...
Should there be MORE fee to make the land available for sale and appear red on the map? 30 lindens is to appear in searches, and MORE 100 to appear in searches as a sale! Oh my! Let the Lindens not see this! LOL

• Like 2

On 8/24/2020 at 8:51 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

I

Man, I can't stand when people do that.  It screws up the search engine, and the World Map, for folks looking to buy a parcel.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 12:54 AM, Axel Naxos said:

Ironically, this works for me in reverse. If I get a rental ad and the land is for sale too, I don't rent it, because I'm afraid the guy might want to sell it at any time and I get kicked out. As a customer it confuses me, it disturbs me, since I'm used to it and I prefer rental companies that don't use this device.
There may be a rental company, a rental and sale company, and also a buying and selling company, but when this is all mixed up, I avoid it.
But it was an interesting point, which I had never seen on this side ... putting the sale on, without wanting to sell ... living and learning ...
Should there be MORE fee to make the land available for sale and appear red on the map? 30 lindens is to appear in searches, and MORE 100 to appear in searches as a sale! Oh my! Let the Lindens not see this! LOL

Yeah, even if they never intended to sell, someone might come along and buy it anyhow, even at an inflated $L/m2 price, return all objects, and poof -- there goes your home.  I've bought a few parcels intended for rental when the price was still reasonable, but never with someone living there.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2020 at 4:00 PM, Rabid Cheetah said:

Oh for crying out loud.  No one can see your genitals on the World Map.  🤣  But yeah, they'll make a fuss...

Well... we could get a very old prim based freenis, stretch it a bit, and rez it at 200m up... and then wait about a week. 😛

I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen anything like that over the Zindra map at any point over the years...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/26/2020 at 10:09 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

Well... we could get a very old prim based freenis, stretch it a bit, and rez it at 200m up... and then wait about a week. 😛

I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen anything like that over the Zindra map at any point over the years...

There was, at one point, a giant freenis floating over one of the Meadowbrook Linden Homes. It showed up on the map as a flesh-coloured smudge before the Governance team zapped it.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.