Deletion Of Hundreds Of Second Life Facebook Accounts Being Reported Today

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Void Singer wrote:

I'm guessing though that means you need an account for a live person to create such a page, thereby linking the two together?

That's exactly what it means. And if people really want to do it, I say go right ahead... more power to them. Just leave me out of it.

...Dres

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ciaran Laval wrote:

Yup and SL give an example of this on their Facebook page, although I'm making no comments whatsoever about the status of the person who is listed as an admin for the avi page.

Okay then I'll say it, the person's profile of which they gave an example, has the exact same name as her avatar page. Unless her RL name is exactly the same as her SL name, I don't see how that's a very good example.

Interestingly enough, right under her name on the page it says "Fictional Character".  How that makes a difference, I do not know.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Ciaran Laval wrote:

Yup and SL give an example of this on their Facebook page, although I'm making no comments whatsoever about the status of the person who is listed as an admin for the avi page.

Okay then I'll say it, the person's profile of which they gave an example, has the exact same name as her avatar page. Unless her RL name is exactly the same as her SL name, I don't see how that's a very good example.

Interestingly enough, right under her name on the page it says "Fictional Character".  How that makes a difference, I do not know.

...Dres

lol that's what I was hinting at, it's an awful example but I don't want her to get in trouble.

"There was a chinese blogger who recently got kicked of Facebook for using the name Michael Anti, that's how he's known in blogging circles, his argument was that there's an account for Mark Zuckerberg's dog, so it was ridiculous to delete his profile, but Mark Zuckerberg's dog has a page, not a profile."

See. This is where the whole "real person, real name" B.S. falls appart.  I don't think any teenager should have to put their real name on Facebook, because we've time & time again that pedophiles & stalkers love to find victims on Facebook.  I serriously doubt a Chinese blogger wants his RL government linking his blog with his RL name & address either.  It's not just those of us who don't want our employers seeing what we're up  to in SL that need to protect our real identities. *No One* should be forced to give out their real name on a social networking site.

I don't disagree with you at all, and the Facebook comments on third party websites is an extremely disturbing development.  Facebook insists on giving away too much information, this simply isn't natural.

However Facebook's TOS is clear on the issue of names.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Facebook.JPG

This was posted today by LL on FB so it appears that they are aware of the situation.

I assume that in order to create a facebook page for my avatar, I'd need an existing facebook account? Which, according to facebook's terms of service, has to be registered under my RL name? In this case, LL are suggesting that we provide a third party with both our RL information and our SL account data, which is completely unacceptable.

Persephone Emerald wrote:

...Just because I want to protect my RL identity, that doesn't mean I'm trying to trick anyone or abuse my Facebook "privilege".  I never share my RL information online with people I don't know in RL.

It's not about tricking people.  Data mining is a key element of Facebook's business model.  If you don't provide RL information then you undermine their ability to datamine your identity and the company has little use for you.

Dagmar Heideman wrote:

Persephone Emerald wrote:

...Just because I want to protect my RL identity, that doesn't mean I'm trying to trick anyone or abuse my Facebook "privilege".  I never share my RL information online with people I don't know in RL.

It's not about tricking people.  Data mining is a key element of Facebook's business model.  If you don't provide RL information then you undermine their ability to datamine your identity and the company has little use for you.

Exactly, if they let people use fictional information their data wouldn't be worth as much to other businesses and they wouldn't be making the tons of money they do.

What I find most deplorable is Zuckerburg's insistance that people that don't want to give their true identity to him, so he can get rich, are somehow being dishonest and deceitful. But given his business plan, I can completely understand why he'd want to promote that fallacy.

...Dres

Dana Hickman wrote:

..."The terms of service prohibit a
personal
Facebook profile for an artificial entity."...

Now that is very interesting as it would prohibit the countless Facebook accounts set up by businesses, campaign organisations, etc., which are all 'artificial entities' by legal definition. So, by logical extension, the Facebook pogrom against SL avatar accounts should also be waged against corporate, business, campaign and other such accounts. Definitely something to watch there. I wonder what TOS loophole Mr Z & Co. will wheel out to protect the FB business 'artificial entity' accounts?

That's just how the comment was worded, though I assume the person was referencing the difference between profiles and pages like others here have said. It may be that the difference between them in FBs stance is that those other things you listed aren't masquerading or presenting themselves as a character or being of some sort. In that case, such "artificial entities" aren't trying to take the place of a live person, and might not be afoul of their TOS because of the lack of the whole "misleading" thing.. I really have no idea, and since I hate FB, probably never will.

I believe it's possible to create a page for a business or organization that isn't tied to a personal profile at all. But like you, I don't really know as I, too, don't care for Facebook and have never even gone through the process of trying to sign up there. I'm almost certain I never will.

...Dres

Poeople have been   converting  for a while. for example

http://botgirl.blogspot.com/2011/04/why-i-dumped-my-personal-facebook.html

here is how

http://sayingitsocial.com/how-to-convert-your-facebook-personal-profile-to-a-business-page/

To create a Fictional charcter from scratch rather than converting:

Go to Face book 

If Logged In Log out

Click on create  Page  link  right  at bottom of Sign up Page.

On create a page  Click on Artist, Band or Public Figure

select Fictional  character option.

Follow instructions from there.

If I didn't need FB to stay in touch with RL groups, I wouldn't be on it myself. But we live in a world in which this is how many people communicate.

I changed my FB account name today, so it won't match my SL name.

Would I ever use my legal name there? - Not for $100,000.

( I *would* for a million dollars, 'cuz that's alot of money.) :smileyhappy:

Why didn't I see this earlier...lol?

All this deletion hoopla made me curious as to whether or not you had to link your page to your RL profile, or if that was just misinformation I'd heard. So I went to Facebook today and created a page as a fictional character just as you've described here. Turns out you don't have to link your RL identity to your page, so that's good, I guess. The only thing is, now I have a presence on Facebook, which I swore I never would... lol.

To make this post less pointless, I would like to point out that pages don't have the same functionality as profiles. Here's a site that explains it better than I can.

Having never had a Facebook profile, it's difficult to understand how that effects your ability to do things. But I suppose it has to do mainly with the way you are able to communicate... which I don't understand in the first place. So I guess I won't be missing anything in that regard.

...Dres

I only use Facebook with my RL identity, I always assumed that's what it's for.  But one thing puzzles me - how did they find all the SL users other than by going through peoples' accounts and checking photos and messages?  I wonder how many genuine authentic real names have been cleared off FB by mistake just because their real name was something like Boffo Zootakins.

Deltango Vale wrote:

I must admit I'm puzzled why I would want to create an avatar page? account? (I still don't understand the system even after looking at examples) when I have an active, 3D global presence in SL. Why would I trade a Ferrari for a pickup truck?

Because if I have to move, it will take too many trips with the Ferarri to move all the boxes of cassette tapes and 35mm slides. With the pickup I can do it one go ;-).

For the record I do not and shall not have a FB account.

I use my SL account & my FB account for different reasons & never intended my FB account to represent my SL avatar. It was just the opposite.  I chose my SL first name to be the same name I use on FB & elsewhere.  Obviously I also had to choose a fake last name in SL.  Since I didn't really have a real last name on Facebook, I used my SL last name for better recognition.

Why would I even use FB if I don't want it linked to my legal identity?  Because I belong to RL groups that use Facebook to update members about news stories & events.  Everyone has been moving from Yahoo Groups & My Space lately, so that's where the online groups moved to as well.  They use the functions at Facebook to share information quickly with group members.  Group members can IM & friend each other, post personal updates to their wall & read the posts of their friends.  It doesn't matter if we used pseudonyms, because we know each other by those pseudonyms, just as we know our SL friends by their SL names.  We are still real people, some of whom are known as authors or business people by their adopted names.  How dare Facebook say these names aren't "real" just because they may not be the one a person uses on their IRS form?

This is not just about Second Life names on Facebook accounts.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.