Lag from Neighbors Objects

Valerie Volare

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

After many years of being the only resident on the Mulhall sim, there is a new neighbor who has placed a platform being used a wall that is close to the boundary line of my parcel.  I have had to return items that were encroaching on my parcel numerous times.  This platform/wall is causing constant lag and crashing issues for me and other visitors.  Also, this wall is very not well constructed and the textures are edited incorrectly.  I understand that it is my neighbor's land and that she can do whatever she likes, but it should not be at the expense of other LOYAL residents. I have been the only resident on this mainland sim for many years with no lag or crashing issues as extreme as this. This wall is not only causing lag and crashing but it is also very unattractive to look at and is causing my parcel to look unattractive as well as unappealing to visitors.  This unpleasant encounter has disrupted my second life experience overall.

PLEASE HELP!

Yesterday, I attempted to send a report abuse ticket while in-world but crashed before I could send it.  I had been logged on for less than 10 minutes before the crash occurred. A ticket for land performance has been sent so I guess we'll wait and see what happens.

I am guessing you will need to identify the actual problem in order for this to get fixed.  A simple wall can't be the answer really.  So identifying might be helpful. Also, you can derender and blacklist and that might solve YOUR crashing issues if it is a mesh problem and not a script one.   On the plus side if you keep sending things back your new neighbor may move LOL.   

There are pluses and minuses to mainland as you likely know. I lived on a few sims as the only resident (or almost only one some times) and that is nice. Sometimes you can work around the issues and sometimes not.  I am pretty sure that you know LL will not make someone take down a wall simply because it is ugly. That 'mainland - no rules' thing applies :D.

Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's actually 12 walls, not just 1.

SrmH1Hd.jpg

Not even sure what it is supposed to be as it looks extremely out of shape.

Do you use Firestorm as viewer? I'd suggest logging in elsewhere, then greatly lower your drawing distance, then go home and blacklist/derender every single piece.

Not ideal, since you run a public place and you managed to terraform quite a matching oasis look for the bland sim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a badly constructed wall, but it didn't crash me or slow down my movement. My computer is not good, so if it's going to cause client issues, it usually will.

What I did notice is the scripts. There are a lot of active scripts. There's little spare time in the stats. You can see this by first activating your "advanced" menu (the option will be in preferences somewhere), go to "performance tools" and then "statistics bar". Or look around a bit if it's in a different place for your viewer.

Anyway, that's what's causing the lag. You can help by making sure your scripts are as low as possible, but also keep an eye for anything that might be using more than a fair share of resources (such as large numbers of breedables).

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

It's a badly constructed wall, but it didn't crash me or slow down my movement.

It did slow down my computer but not so much it was critical - I'd say about Bellisseria level performance.

The wall, ugly as it is, doesn't add much to any performance issues. However, behind it there are two seriously over-textured houses and also some incredibly laggy grass (that for some reason is high up in the air). Add to it that Valerie's own build also is heavy (sorry Valerie) with lots of unoptimized alpha blended vegetation we have to expect quite a bit of lag there. Each build on its own probably wouldn't cause any serious problems but the combined render load of the two right next to each other may be too much for many computers. One possible solution, since Valerie's build doesn't seem to use any system ground at all and is totally surrounded by screens, might be to simply move it 1,000 m or so up in the air.

10 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

What I did notice is the scripts.

Yes, I noticed that too. There is very little script related going on client side though, so that should only affect server performance and not cause any crashes or fps issues.

Edited by ChinRey
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2020 at 5:17 PM, Valerie Volare said:
After many years of being the only resident on the Mulhall sim, there is a new neighbor who has placed a platform being used a wall that is close to the boundary line of my parcel.  I have had to return items that were encroaching on my parcel numerous times.  This platform/wall is causing constant lag and crashing issues for me and other visitors.  Also, this wall is very not well constructed and the textures are edited incorrectly.  I understand that it is my neighbor's land and that she can do whatever she likes, but it should not be at the expense of other LOYAL residents. I have been the only resident on this mainland sim for many years with no lag or crashing issues as extreme as this. This wall is not only causing lag and crashing but it is also very unattractive to look at and is causing my parcel to look unattractive as well as unappealing to visitors.  This unpleasant encounter has disrupted my second life experience overall.

PLEASE HELP!

Yesterday, I attempted to send a report abuse ticket while in-world but crashed before I could send it.  I had been logged on for less than 10 minutes before the crash occurred. A ticket for land performance has been sent so I guess we'll wait and see what happens.

There's another factor you seem not to have noticed. You and your neighbor aren't the only landowners - an entire quarter of the region is taken by a third owner who seems to be running some sort of clubbish thing; at least they have multiple avatars high in the air. There's also a small tattoo parlor in the corner. The clubbish quarter region was claimed in March 2020; the tattoo parlor lot in late 2019. Those builds seem to be high in the air and you may not have ever noticed them being there, but their scripts are part of the region load.

• Thanks 1

On Mainland when it's scripts, it's almost always breedables. No exception here. There's a factory farm at <192, 192, 3500> and 3000 and 2500, and the empty shell of one at 2000 -- they've only used less than half the prims available on their quarter-sim parcel, but they've pretty much exhausted the script capacity.

None of this has anything to do with crashing a viewer though. I'm not getting anything like that effect, despite having a pretty garbage PC, but... I mean, it's not great with the weirdly ugly walls and the ridiculously inefficient flickering light scripts but it's not really lagging me all that much.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I'm not very technical savvy when it comes to SL, so I have a few questions:

1. What is unoptimized alpha blended vegetation?

2. What happens when I derender and blacklist?

3. What is meant by spare time in the stats?

2 hours ago, Valerie Volare said:

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I'm not very technical savvy when it comes to SL, so I have a few questions:

1. What is unoptimized alpha blended vegetation?

2. What happens when I derender and blacklist?

3. What is meant by spare time in the stats?

1 - Probably grass/trees/bushes with heavy use of alpha blending. Those are pretty heavy on GPU, especially in big amounts and /or if you zoom in closely. However they shouldn't crash you either, unless you have a problem with GPU's cooling. So I wouldn't worry about it at all.

2 - You won't see it anymore and your viewer won't have to render it. And that's about it. Your visitors will have to do the same if they don't want to see something.

It can be a very useful feature, if your neighbors put up something ugly and you don't want to see it anymore. Or it can be completely useless, if your neighbors constantly rebuilding things, so objects that you derendered last time are all replaced by new ones over and over again. I had one parcel like that in the past, where every single day there would be something new and even more ugly than before, I had over 3k entries in my asset blacklist by the time I moved out of there.

3 - That's pretty much how much free resources region has. When people add scripted objects (or just being there on their avis) those will use region's resources, net/physics/simulation/script time etc. Eventually free resources will end and in order to maintain tolerable total frame time region will start slowing down scripts first. The worse it gets - the more it'll slow down the scripts. Around 35-40% scripts run mark you'll start feeling noticeable delay in all scripted functions, below 15% is "hardly usable" in my opinion, at least for everyday's activities.

Edited by steeljane42
typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In case it's helpful, apropos the "Spare Time" question, an annotated snapshot of Mulhall Sim Statistics from a few minutes ago:

Snapshot_001.thumb.png.ca0ea44998a0fc00848fe2ca834170ba.png

Again, this only reflects the sim lag, nothing to do with any viewer crashes. The sim itself is doing fine, with lots of time to run scripts in each frame. Unfortunately, there are kind of a bunch of scripts on this region, so some have to wait for the next timeslice, and that makes HUDs slow to respond, scripted furniture take a long time to load, etc. Far from the worst case of this, but it's also pretty far removed from having Spare Time. (If it had Spare Time, most every script would get a shot to run each frame, so Scripts Run would be near 100%.)

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.