tips for a (re)newbie?

LuaLoveU

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there, i just come back to sl after a long break, when i played it didn't exist mesh... so yeah, been away loooong time.

Because of that i have no clue ofwhat is fashionable and quality this days, also no lindens since i can't find a job :X soooo i'm pleading for any help you could give me, advices, places to go that have good free gifts, freebies, games to win fashion prizes, etc. that kind of tips would help so much! 

thank you in advance for helping!

• Like 2

Step 1. would be to take everything here on the forums with a grain of salt. They might not mirror your ingame experience interacting with other residents.

Welcome back! 

As for money i believe there might still be fishing games that you can turn tokens into lindens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, mesh is a 2013 thing so it has been awhile.

In SL style is VERY fluid. I think it can best be described as whatever you think looks good. Goth, street  s l u t, hooker, pimp, beach wear, Sci-Fi, fashionista, RP combat attire, and everything else...

Mesh bodies and heads are THE THING for now. I think they look way better than the Classic avatar you are familiar with. But, people do make some amazingly good looking Classic avatars. So, mesh is not "mandatory"... in most places within SL. 

Mesh clothes are made for Classic avatars that use the Standard Sizes. You can find those 'sizes' listed in the market place. The size info stuff is free. With the Std-Size stuff you change your avatar to fit the clothes. The Std-Size clothes do not respond to the shape sliders. People didn't like that idea so designers moved on to Fitted Mesh, these are clothes, bodies, and heads that responded to the shape sliders.

The complication is clothes have to match the body. This means those using a Slink body have to buy Slink-compatible clothes. Both the body and clothes fit them selves to the shape you build. Using a Classic body one has to use Std-Size clothes and then set your shape to fit the clothes.

You'll hear of BOM... Bakes On Mesh... when you were here they changed SL to use Server Side Baking (SSB). BOM is that same feature extended to work with mesh bodies and clothes. You missed the Applier Era. My advice is to stay away from appliers. They still have their uses. But, they are mostly unnecessary with BOM. Just make sure things you get are BOM compatible.

That may sound like a lot, but it isn't. Your challenge is in recognizing you are coming in at a time when the look of clothing and bodies has just changed. All the stuff we had to do for a number of years to deal with mesh bodies just got WAY simpler. Now it is more like what you were used to but we now refer to what you knew as clothes as system clothes.

There are people that have come in and never known anything but Appliers. So you will see all the commotion about the BIG CHANGE and how hard it is to figure out BOM. Avoid letting it confuse you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing that might have changed is the Marketplace. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/ (LL link, don't worry it's safe). I was unaware of it at first, so just saying :) You can find a lot of nice free/1L stuff there, and if you go to the respective in-world stores, many with free groups, there are many gifts to be found, still some nice stuff for the standard avi many places as well.

There are some reasonably priced and even free (sometimes for a limited time) mesh avis around, but my main advice would be: Don't be in a hurry. Try to enjoy and rediscover, and find out what you want to do and where you want to go.

As for Lindens. You won't earn much, but fishing is actually a nice thing to do if you don't have any L$ at all while discovering new places, and while browsing the MP and the forums.  I think SuperFish still give a few worms to fish with with their free pole (on MP).

Turns out they do. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/SuperFish-Rod-HUD-Pack/7481949

Won't get you rich :) 

Edit: They give out 10 free worms everyday as well, as well as some other stuff that's new to me but might get you a L$ or ten. Just checked in-world, and they still actually do.

Edited by BraveHot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BraveHot said:

There are some reasonably priced and even free (sometimes for a limited time) mesh avis around, but my main advice would be: Don't be in a hurry. Try to enjoy and rediscover, and find out what you want to do and where you want to go.

I'd recommend at least getting them, even if they sit in inventory until someone can figure them out.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Rudegerus Osterham said:

I'd recommend at least getting them, even if they sit in inventory until someone can figure them out.

I agree. Just keep your inventory organized from the start. At least try until you can't anymore... :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you can spare say 10-20 bucks into the game.. then grab the maitreya body. .. everything else will be easy

Hopefully genus is still giving the free Strong Face Head shape.. so theres a free head right there.

7DS is giving a free Stay at Home skin.. and its BOM..so just add it on.

Sintika has free hairs, and you dont even need to join the group to get them.

And for clothes, evie, safria and sehina.. or can alao spend 100L and join Scandalize for Heaps of freebies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Linden Realms is a good way to get lindens if you're not inclined to buy them with real world currency. 

Also, I will be upgrading to Premium once my current rental runs out in 3 weeks time. Linden Homes have changed a lot in your absence and are a lot better. You can now get a 1024 parcel with 351 prims and that's too good to pass up considering my current rental on a RP sim sets me back L$8800 every 4 weeks. 

Premium is very reasonable these days and you get at least L$1200 every 4 weeks which you could put towards upgrading to mesh over time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, xBaeBeex said:

If you can spare say 10-20 bucks into the game.. then grab the maitreya body. .. everything else will be easy

No need to spend even that. Just go to Lucybody and hit the Midnight Mania board for a free body that fits all Maitreya clothes. The only catch is that it's not omega-compatible and the BOM relay is a couple hundred L$ extra.

I have the developers kit though, so I'm experimenting with making appliers for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You have literally zero, or you have 1-10 Linden on your account?

That is enough to make a difference. Many freebies are really dollarbies. The term "free" is often used on both 0 and 1 L stuff. What @BraveHot is posting about free fishing is worth doing. It is no money chairs or trees anymore. A few linden dollars can really make a difference and give you twice as much or three - four - 5 times as much as 0.

The blog FabFree has been going on since 2007 or something. https://fabfree.wordpress.com/ I remember finding it when I was new. They also post free stuff for avatars under 30 days. Some of the free stuff for newbies is bad, it is skin from Pink Fuel, animation overrides and hair from Mina that is best.

I do not know how much you remember, you remember how to join a group? Some groups cost money to join. The one with most free clothes for females, is Scandalize. But it has a 100 L fee to join. Scandalize has literally a wall of free stuff. COCO is free to join and have much stuff too.

I got the free meshbody Classic (1 L to pay, group is free to join) as @Rudegerus Osterham is talking about, but it can be hard to find clothes for it. You should get it, and the Lucybody as @Maitimo is recommending.

The Stay at Home club is started because we should stay at home, so designers is giving freebies. https://www.thestayathomeclubsl.com/

Some freebies of these vendors you have to pay 1 L for, and you are refunded 1 L. But you still need 1 Linden to get them.

You can read this blog too: https://ryanschultz.com/category/second-life-steals-deals-and-freebies/

The best thing you can do is getting the free Catwa head (first post in the blog over). A head from this store cost 5010 Linden! It is SO worth spending a few hours on getting in. Not only is this a great deal, the best one now, but it is a lot of freebies and cheap stuff made for Catwa heads. You can get other heads cheap and free, but they are often not so good, like missing animations or clumsy animations, and it is no content made for them.

I used splitscreen and had Second life on the one side and used the other for SL while clicking to get in.

EDIT: New locations. See post under. Now you get in without clicking for hours.

Edited by Marianne Little
added the last 3 sentences
  • Thanks 1

Update on free Catwa heads: New locations. My last alt who did not have it, came in the second location at first attempt.

00:31] CatwaStore: I am Catwa.Clip (catwa.clip) 's official ROBOT
See my name in her profile picks 8☋ROBOT
The gift is is no longer at the mainstore,
Get CATWA GIFT UNISEX HEAD Freya
[LIMITED OFFER: 3rd to 24th MAY 2020]
Join and Activate any of the CATWA groups from my profile before going
Detach meshes so you can rez quicker
Please give chance to other by leaving the sim after getting the gift.
Gift locations:
1: Sensual Romance (173,187,538)
2: NoYourOtherLeft (200,107,2003)
3: LV Designs (100,149,26)
Enjoy!

Edited by Marianne Little
changed a few words to clarify
  • Thanks 1

Edited to add: Now the free Classic meshbody does not let you use the teleporter unless you already have the group activated.

The teleport also does not work if you have too high complexity. I had 53 000. I took off some nails and jewelry and could teleport. I guess the limit is 50 000.

So I was stupidly clicking, I had the group activated. But it took a while before the message to take off stuff came - or I did not pay attention. 😳

• Thanks 1

OMG!!! wow you guys rock! this is super helpful now i feel more oriented and know what to look for, somethings i didn't really understood but i can google it for the details xD thank you all really! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

You have literally zero, or you have 1-10 Linden on your account?

i have 1l but yes i will try the fishing games, gonna google about that to see how it works :) gonna grab the free stuff first then after i go for the other stuff, i don't want to put real money in here, at least will try for now, if i find my niche i may just upgrade, will see 

18 minutes ago, LuaLoveU said:

i have 1l but yes i will try the fishing games, gonna google about that to see how it works :) gonna grab the free stuff first then after i go for the other stuff, i don't want to put real money in here, at least will try for now, if i find my niche i may just upgrade, will see 

Getting to about L$300, with the free Catwa head and the Legacy shape, will get you into some groups that have a ton of free stuff. The Scandalize group, as mentioned, is good. I think they have a range of styles, so it's not all scanty wear.

The Free Dove is another good resource also. Lots of good mesh stuff there as well. The fabfree site mentioned earlier is awesome as well. They tell you if the group is free to join, which is nice. Also, the Stay at Home stuff is a good way to collect stuff.

I'd run around right now grabbing as many gifts as you can, and at the least, shove them in a folder called "figure out later" or something. You don't have to figure it out now, but the really good free stuff will have a likely expiration date so hoovering it up is a good thing to do.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LuaLoveU said:

SuperFish HQ: https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Liome/71/66/21

Not updated on the MP, but found it :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.