Is there a way of politely ignoring chat?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 hours ago, LeftHandedEhud said:

Is there some polite way I could signal I’m not particularly interested in random discussion, or disable/reduce the nearby chat?

There's the 'Away' setting that will show an 'Away' tag above your head.

Or maybe wear a hovering text thingie over your head that says: "Pardon me for not responding to some parts of your Local Chat blabbering."

• Like 1

It is nice to read that someone cares about not being rude. :) 

I think you've gotten most of the answers here: Set to busy, politely say "Sorry, can't talk now." <--- but that is what I say if someone IMs me. If it is just local chat, unless they specifically are talking to me for some reason, I just don't say anything. I often have it in my profile that I often don't even see local chat, because it is true.

I don't think you have to worry overly much about people you don't know, will never see again, and who are chatting in local.  I can only remember once when I've been harrassed because I didn't respond to local, and that was only a few months ago. I was at a busy club, one where people know me, and apparently they were trying to get my attention. I was oblivious. Hijinks ensued. :)

• Like 2

I use Firestorm and keep an auto-reply set, without setting myself to away, unavailable, or other setting.  I do this primarily because even though I keep the chat window open, I tend to ignore it.  I will get focused on a hunt or shopping or building something, etc... and I don't want to leave people hanging, so I let them know.

When I need to ask someone a question, it is seldom urgent, thus I will usually prefix the IM with something like "I have a question, but it isn't urgent, so if you are busy feel free to respond later".  I then follow that with my question, on the assumption that I may not get any sort of answer for a while.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
spelling
  • Like 2

Putting up a 'busy' sign is easy, breaking off a chat in progress, not so much. I usually just tell them, at some point, that I simply need to go back to building now.

Even harder is the situation where you asked a question somewhere, ppl IM you in private convo, you thank them, but then they keep coming. That's tough. You want to be polite, and you're genuinely grateful for this or that help they offered, but, at the same time, weren't really looking for a new chat-buddy per se (or the often immediate 'friendship' offered). Which is why I usually just prefer things stay in open channel -- if for nothing else, so others can learn from the advice offered too.

Edited by kiramanell

14 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I use Firestorm and keep an auto-reply set, without setting myself to away, unavailable, or other setting.  I do this primarily because even though I keep the chat window open, I tend to ignore it.  I will get focused on a hunt or shopping or building something, etc... and I don't want to leave people hanging, so I let them know.

When I need to ask someone a question, it is seldom urgent, thus I will usually prefix the IM with something like "I have a question, but it isn't urgent, so if you are busy feel free to respond later".  I then follow that with my question, on the assumption that I may not get any sort of answer for a while.

Mostly I am here to practice object creation and scripting;  but if I make a few friends along the way, that would be good.  Just not interested in walking down the virtual street and having people initiate random conversations. So I haven't blocked group and friend requests, but just used the unavailable mode.  Perhaps later I'll find a group and land somewhere with like-minded people 

Thx for the response.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.