Is there a way of politely ignoring chat?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1468 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don’t want to be rude and ignore people,  but stopping and chatting with people as I’m walking somewhere isn’t my thing. I realize SL is a social media platform,  but I’m here for other personal reasons. Is there some polite way I could signal I’m not particularly interested in random discussion, or disable/reduce the nearby chat? I feel bad if I just ignore someone trying to initiate a conversation, but I also don’t want to keep stopping and talking.  Any suggestions?

6 minutes ago, LeftHandedEhud said:

I don’t want to be rude and ignore people,  but stopping and chatting with people as I’m walking somewhere isn’t my thing. I realize SL is a social media platform,  but I’m here for other personal reasons. Is there some polite way I could signal I’m not particularly interested in random discussion, or disable/reduce the nearby chat? I feel bad if I just ignore someone trying to initiate a conversation, but I also don’t want to keep stopping and talking.  Any suggestions?

If you mean strangers talking in local chat,  I just ignore that when shopping as I have the chat window shut when busy.  

• Like 4

Hi! Just remember that people come to SL for so many different reasons and it is completely alright and valid to not want to interact with others all the time.

I've had issues with this before too because I get very anxious having long conversations with people who are outside of my family circle. It is also quite exhausting for me. What I've learned to do is to simply be blunt, but polite because no one should ever make you feel guilty for not being in the mood to interact.

You can also go the hinting route like, "Thank you so much for the wonderful chat, but I really should let you get back to your SL now." or "I should really get going here, but thank you for the most interesting conversation". My problem with this method is some just don't seem to pick up on this or they have outright ignored it and kept right on talking. It is a horrible cycle so I just now bluntly tell them that I need time to myself, etc.

You have the right to spend your SL the way you want too so don't let your reasoning be invalidated just because SL is a social platform. :)

• Like 3

Thank you both for responding. I’ve just started looking around, and deciding if I want to invest in a private spot where I can create and build. Just don’t want to get a reputation as a jerk who ignores everyone lol.  Haven’t done 3D modeling since VRML 2.0 came out , and like the in-world abilities here, and have started learning the scripting language. If it’s common to just ignore chat opportunities, then I’ll just do that, then.

• Like 1

Do you put yourself into every conversation happening around you in RL? SL is not that much different. Just ignore whats going on around you in local chat. If its IM just say you are busy or simply don't go to places meant for socializing to avoid that.

There's Unavailable (or is it Busy?) mode available to you from somewhere in the top menu bar, depending on which viewer you're using. Set that and it shows in your name tag for everyone to see. Any IMs will get a polite (or not so polite, if you're using a viewer that lets you customise the message and you chose to be more forthright) automatic response.

• Like 2

I think you have to be a little blunt and say, you cant stop to chat because you havent got the time and you need to get 'such n such' or 'look at something' before you leave SL today. 

Most people understand and will let you go with a smile. 

1 hour ago, CheriColette said:

I think you have to be a little blunt and say, you cant stop to chat because you havent got the time and you need to get 'such n such' or 'look at something' before you leave SL today. 

Most people understand and will let you go with a smile. 

Too much text by my taste. I shorten that to: "busy" 😎

• Like 2

Left, as others have mentioned Do Not Disturb (what used to be called busy mode) is available in the viewer

Linden viewer menu: Me \  Status \ Do Not Disturb

puts the Do Not Disturb tag over your head. Works like an answering machine. Any IM you receive gets auto-responded to with the message "This resident has turned on 'Do Not Disturb' and will see your message later."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

Left, as others have mentioned Do Not Disturb (what used to be called busy mode) is available in the viewer

Linden viewer menu: Me \  Status \ Do Not Disturb

puts the Do Not Disturb tag over your head. Works like an answering machine. Any IM you receive gets auto-responded to with the message "This resident has turned on 'Do Not Disturb' and will see your message later."

Doesn't that setting also block all inventory offers, including purchases?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

i just tested it, as it did used to be that way with the old Busy mode

using the Linden viewer

sent a box to my other self who is in Do Not Disturb mode. They got the box. And I got the Do Not Disturb them message and a notification that they had received the box

my other self got the box delivered direct to Inventory

did the same on a TPV

my other self got the notification dialog offer, not a direct delivery to inventory

interestingly both viewers have AutoAcceptNewInventory set to FALSE

so it seems Linden have done something to bypass AutoAccept FALSE in the receive objects case on the Linden viewer. Or my viewer tests are a bit wonky

edit add

just noticed in the Linden viewer the Debug Setting info for AutoAcceptNewInventory says:

"Automatically accept new notecards/textures/landmarks"  TRUE|FALSE

no mention of being able to not automatically accept other assets types

edit add more: should have mention that the Linden viewer version is: Second Life Release 6.4.0.540188 (64bit). Which is the EEP project viewer

Edited by Mollymews
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Create your own group.

Make the owner title, "Sorry, Masturbating".

Everyone will leave you alone as long as you wear that tag.

That might work for you, but I found for me that just makes dudes IM me asking if I need a hand with that! o.O 

• Haha 8

15 minutes ago, Mollymews said:
49 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

i just tested it, as it did used to be that way with the old Busy mode

using the Linden viewer

sent a box to my other self who is in Do Not Disturb mode. They got the box. And I got the Do Not Disturb them message and a notification that they had received the box

my other self got the box delivered direct to Inventory

did the same on a TPV

my other self got the notification dialog offer, not a direct delivery to inventory

interestingly both viewers have AutoAcceptNewInventory set to FALSE

so it seems Linden have done something to bypass AutoAccept FALSE in the receive objects case on the Linden viewer. Or my viewer tests are a bit wonky

edit add

just noticed in the Linden viewer the Debug Setting info for AutoAcceptNewInventory says:

"Automatically accept new notecards/textures/landmarks"  TRUE|FALSE

no mention of being able to not automatically accept other assets types

The Firestorm Viewer guide suggests using the Busy/Do Not Disturb/Unavailable mode with care as it will let you accept items from avatars but not from objects.

If you run into a normal person who lives in the area, a person who might end up your neighbor if you buy a parcel, the best reply is to explain that you are busy looking at land. Most normal folks who have parcels in SL will understand.  You might want to ask them about the day to day sim activity which is normally something you can't see by just being at a parcel for a few minutes.Even if you run into someone making a romantic advance, a non-romantic reply explaining your situation might snap them out of their initial thoughts. In any case, talking to would be neighbors should be part of your parcel evaluation. You don't want any crazy person living next to you.

7 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

The Firestorm Viewer guide suggests using the Busy/Do Not Disturb/Unavailable mode with care as it will let you accept items from avatars but not from objects.

in the Linden viewer the offers are queued it seems. We get the notification dialog offers from a vendor object when we turn off Do Disturb Me

edit add: did some more tests. CAUTION

seems the queuing is variable.  Sometimes we get the queued notifications. Sometimes we don't.  So the caution others have raised here about not getting stuff from a scripted device still applies

Edited by Mollymews
caution

Does anyone know how to get general chat window back up?

I'm in firestrom and clicked those little zz's in the corner and my general chat window went away..

I'd figure I would ask here since it's sort of a general chat topic..

ETA: Never mind..I found it in the communication menu at the top of the viewer..hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marigold Devin said:

That might work for you, but I found for me that just makes dudes IM me asking if I need a hand with that! o.O 

Oh, yeah, it would have the opposite effect for chicks.  Very good point.   Maybe "Sure, I'll Peg You"?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Create your own group.

Make the owner title, "Sorry, Masturbating".

Everyone will leave you alone as long as you wear that tag.

I always used to set evil titlers (anyone remember those?) to "AFK, masturbating". And were they ever grateful???

• Haha 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1468 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.