Hair issues with Genus head

ClariceRose

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1136 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm struggling to find hair that fits a Genus head, the gifted one. 80% of the hair in my inventory either doesn't fit or looks odd (even with a hairbase). I bought Stealthic Shallows which has a built in hairbase. However, others see it not fitting my head and missing the hairbase, but I see it all fine. I've relogged, refreshed attachments, removed hair and reattached..

Is this a regular issue? 

Genus users, are there brands that work better?

Is there a way to lessen the top of the head( sliders aren't very responsive)? Some tips or tricks?

Thanks!

Edited by ClariceRose
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ClariceRose said:

Most of my hair comes from Magika who on some hairs offers several rigged sizes or some that are modify. they work great with Babyface & Strong

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ClariceRose said:

I'm struggling to find hair that fits a Genus head, the gifted one. 80% of the hair in my inventory either doesn't fit or looks odd (even with a hairbase). I bought Stealthic Shallows which has a built in hairbase. However, others see it not fitting my head and missing the hairbase, but I see it all fine. I've relogged, refreshed attachments, removed hair and reattached..

Is this a regular issue? 

Is there a way to lessen the top of the head( sliders aren't very responsive)? Some tips or tricks?

Thanks!

Because Genus is a relatively new make, a lot of existing hair isn't rigged properly for it. And, although the greater majority of hairs that I own (and I think I have about 100 . . .) work just fine with it, there are a few hair brands that I can simply never make work properly. Which is odd, because one or two of those are favourites of people I know who also use Genus. I think it comes down to how you've shaped the head. In my case, Analogue Dog, Stealthic, and Pr!tty never seem to work (but, as I say, I know others who do wear Stealthic with their Genus). Sassy mentioned Magika: I have never had a problem with that one, or with most other makes, including Truth, tram, YumYum, Monsu, Dura and, well, quite a few others.

And the high forehead and large "top" of Genus is pretty much a feature, as they say, rather than a bug. You can reduce it a bit, but it's just part of the "look."

There are a couple of answers. You can make custom shapes for particular styles that don't work with your regular one on Genus. And you can try to always buy hair that comes with an unrigged version (which is less than ideal for long hair, I know) so that it can be resized.

The key, in any case, is of course always to demo.

• Like 4

I sometimes have trouble with Truth, but Stealthic always works for me. Exile is hit or miss. Sometimes you have to adjust your head a bit, as Scylla said.

I read in another forum thread on this subject that the following work well with Genus: Foxy, Shi, Rezology, Magika, Doux, Fabia. Personally, I have yet to have a Doux hair fit correctly, so yeah...always demo!

• Like 2

I think every single hair I own that has a built-in mesh hairbase doesn't fit my Genus head at all, there are gaps all round even with smallest sizes (where alternative sizes are available). Older hairs without a hairbase, or worn with a system layer hairbase, tend to be the better fit, especially styles with bangs, and plenty of volume at the sides.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I sometimes have trouble with Truth, but Stealthic always works for me. Exile is hit or miss. Sometimes you have to adjust your head a bit, as Scylla said.

I read in another forum thread on this subject that the following work well with Genus: Foxy, Shi, Rezology, Magika, Doux, Fabia. Personally, I have yet to have a Doux hair fit correctly, so yeah...always demo!

Yeah, interesting: it does seem to be more about how one has shaped the head, rather than the head itself, per se. I wish I could get Stealthic to fit properly without adjustment, whereas I've never had a problem with Doux or Truth.

YMMV, as they say!

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 4/16/2020 at 8:00 PM, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I have 12 style of hair for Doux, just recently none of them work on my genus head oddly even block of hair are missing I do not know what in heck is going on , been trying to figure that one out for a month now, 

1.png

2.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BabyLove Hammill said:

I have 12 style of hair for Doux, just recently none of them work on my genus head oddly even block of hair are missing I do not know what in heck is going on , been trying to figure that one out for a month now, 

1.png

2.png

If you have on a separate hair base, maybe try removing it and see if that helps?

Doux Bloodine does fit my Genus head, so you might want to give it a try. It's the one I am wearing in my profile photo here. 

• Like 1

It might also be your brow base

On 12/16/2020 at 1:26 PM, Skell Dagger said:

I'm going to hazard a guess that you might have enabled BoM (Bakes on Mesh) on your head and are now seeing a big, poufy clear 'halo' shape cutting through your hair, or what looks like large chunks of your hair missing from certain angles. If this is correct, then that's caused by your brow-shaper and you can fix it by editing it.

In the stock Linden viewer, the brow-shaper inventory icon looks like a side-on profile -

basics_ll.jpg.10654ce22f0880253d53b08cf99b30ab.jpg

And in the Firestorm viewer it looks like a bent brown 'wig' -

basics_fs.jpg.32dad324c7f879a3cd55477ae92241f7.jpg

Whichever viewer you're using, right-click your avatar and select 'edit outfit'. Find that brow-shaper icon in your Wearing tab, and edit it. When the edit window pops up, go into the Style tab, and pull all the sliders to zero, then click Save on it. See this video for what you should be doing.

If that's not the issue, then please let us know what you're actually seeing.

• Like 2

I second what @Rowan Amoresaid. Sometime lately have you worn another brow base, not the brows itself but the shaper that look like a brown head in profile. Maybe you got it when you bought a new skin, maybe you bought eyebrows and used the shaper they were sold with.

If the eyebrow shaper is no modify, you have to find another that does not cause this issue. If you have saved outfits, go back and try on some older brow shapers.

If your eyebrow shaper is modify, you can go click on it in your inventory (go to worn items) click on it and select edit. You get up an Appearance window named "Editing Hair". Go to the Style tab and push all sliders to 0. 

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 2:41 PM, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

If you have on a separate hair base, maybe try removing it and see if that helps?

Doux Bloodine does fit my Genus head, so you might want to give it a try. It's the one I am wearing in my profile photo here. 

Thank you I have taken off the hairbase still no changes I cant seem to find Doux Bloodine .  :(

I purchase another hair from Doux Oribe still same issue....

doux.png

It's not the "hairbase", it's your "eyebrow shaper", which is what used to be system hair and isn't ever used for that any more.

The problem happens when the system hair has a transparent texture on it but hasn't been shrunk down to fit inside the head.

You'll find it in your list of worn items, it might be called "eyebrow shaper" or "bald base" or something like that. If it's no-mod, you'll have to delete it, it can't be salvaged, so find a different one that IS mod. It looks like this in Firestorm:

991579629_Annotation2021-03-16171434.png.0927c4c4fd1a2cdccb4448dd053df8cf.png

If it IS mod, then go into Edit mode on it, go to the "Style" tab and turn all the sliders except the "shear" ones to zero. The Shear ones should be left at 50.

612408350_Annotation2021-03-16171551.png.5ae3d22ee0ee7a86c6768f6de50cdc17.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1136 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.