Message from SL CEO

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure where would be the best place to put this, yet it seemed somewhat topical here. I was reviewing some of the SL advertising out there, marketing the platform to businesses as a means of meeting and collaboration. I was a bit surprised, unless I overlooked it, that building and uploading mesh models was not at least touched on. I currently work in an industry whose engineers utilize 3D modeling software to render new product innovations.  Sharing with companies the potential for uploading these models and experiencing them in a meeting inside of that 3D environment, rather than possibly huddled around a computer screen, seems like an interesting selling point. Maybe that's expected to be discovered after joining, but just a thought. 

Edited by Matarie Theas
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

SL requires too much graphics rendering power for any kind of business. Essentially you'd have to give all employees a gaming computer, most likely gaming laptop, at a premium price. Productivity would go way down because everyone will be secretly gaming and the network bandwidth would get used by people playing MMOs. I've seen it happen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

SL needs instant avatars and instant venue locations that businesses can just 'walk' right into, via a login, following arrangements made with LL and themselves. 

@Draxtor Despres just helped LL with recording some sample conference venues for businesses / organizations to see and use, actually. They can be seen on this page; https://www.connect.secondlife.com/explore I know because I was going to be in one of them as an extra but couldn't keep myself awake due to the timing and sudden notice, and fell asleep waiting 🤦‍♀️

The business venue samples look really nice too! The ampitheater is obviously from LL's Townhall Meetings, the Horizon from the Horizon sims and the Lodge is from one of the public spots on Bellisseria (afaik, not sure if it has been used somewhere else)

Edit: But yeah, would be nice to see them have a special login that directs them directly to those venues

Edited by lucagrabacr
  • Like 1

FWIW, a relevant article popped into my Google news feed, throwing a notification on my phone. That's interesting because I try (seemingly successfully) to keep my personal phone separate from Second Life. It's not exactly surprising Google's algorithm could figure it out anyway, but still somehow this news surfaced to notification level: "Second Life Targets Corporate Sector as Travel Lockdown Bites" by Matthew Parsons (whoever that is) on Skift (whatever that is -- seems to be a travel industry trade rag).

On 3/24/2020 at 12:25 PM, lucagrabacr said:

@Draxtor Despres just helped LL with recording some sample conference venues for businesses / organizations to see and use, actually. 🤦‍♀️

There's also "Boardroom" sim. Two conference center buildings, with medium-sized conference rooms for 10-20 avatars. From the prim era of SL.

The large-screen displays there all seem to be stuck on "Please Stand By", but that could be easily fixed..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.