Where are all the black and gay people of SL?

Raysa Jolbey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1431 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been on SL since 2007 and I just came back from a long RL break. My friend's list is non existent and most of places I use to frequent are no longer. I am trying to find new places to go to find new people to talk to and get to know. I don't mean to be racially biased but I am looking for african american places to go to...black events, places where black people go and chill. I am black in RL and in SL and I find it hard to find places that accomodate people that look like me. If anybody can hit me back and point me out some places I can go to that would be really great!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I'm sorry, I can't help you since I just don't pay attention to which places are black, white, purple or polka dotted, although I sincerely hope that you will find what you are looking for so that you get out of SL what you want and need. I am sure these black hangouts do exist, but as I said, I have no idea where they may be. 

With that said, please forgive me my ignorance, but how would these places be different from all the others? This is the question that made me reply to you and I am genuinely interested so please don't take it as me being whatever.

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
typos....
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

No I totally understand where you are coming from because I wasn't trying to start any controversy. But SL has an abundance of "straight", "heterosexual norms" but I have rarely seen things for the LGBTQ community and black community as a whole. I am sure they do exist but where?????

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Raysa Jolbey said:

I have been on SL since 2007 and I just came back from a long RL break. My friend's list is non existent and most of places I use to frequent are no longer. I am trying to find new places to go to find new people to talk to and get to know. I don't mean to be racially biased but I am looking for african american places to go to...black events, places where black people go and chill. I am black in RL and in SL and I find it hard to find places that accomodate people that look like me. If anybody can hit me back and point me out some places I can go to that would be really great!!!

I’ll pm you.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2020 at 6:13 PM, Raysa Jolbey said:

Any luck finding any friendly gay spots?

Honestly I haven't found any LGBTQ friendly spaces in SL. They do have LGBTQ sims but they are more geared towards sex and cruising and it is quite weird honestly. I have been thinking about ideas of coming up with a sim or a space where gay people can come and hang and meet people all over the world without having to bring up sex or weird stuff...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Raysa Jolbey said:

Honestly I haven't found any LGBTQ friendly spaces in SL. They do have LGBTQ sims but they are more geared towards sex and cruising and it is quite weird honestly. I have been thinking about ideas of coming up with a sim or a space where gay people can come and hang and meet people all over the world without having to bring up sex or weird stuff...

I think there are plenty of places where anyone of any sexual orientation can hang out without bringing up sex. It seems to me that especially in SL, once you limit a group according to sexual orientation, you make sex a factor.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but have you tried group searches? You can find plenty of LGBTQ+ friendly communities in the destination guide. That might be a good place to start? I know there's a Transgender Resource Centre that has an in-world meeting spot. Maybe other places like this? 

Soul Vibrations Dance Club used to be a popular destination for the black community of SL, but haven't been for a long time so not sure now. 

• Like 2

I totally get that some people are coming at this question from the "This is SL! Colour, race, sexuality and gender shouldn't matter here!" perspective, and understand that this is well intentioned. However, it makes sense that some people would like to find a community of residents with shared RL experiences who can maybe relate better to their frame of reference. It's not necessarily a bad thing. ❤️

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

If people would ask where to find the white lbgt places hell will come down.

Sorry Alwin, but this is where I feel people sometimes need to check their privileges. 

The point you're making isn't the same. White people aren't a minority group. The LGBT community is, but no LGBT person would have to ask where to find a predominantly white LGBT group because they're all predominantly white (apart from maybe the furry ones! lol ;)).

It's like when you hear straight white people saying that racism and homophobia doesn't exist anymore. No disrespect, but you're not in a position to judge or make that assessment.

I wish the world was perfect, free from intolerance and discrimination, so that we wouldn't even need to have this conversation. But sadly it isn't, and the reality is that there are still groups being marginalised and prejudiced against in our society, and so I don't feel it is right to dismiss the need for a safe familiar space where people from those communities can speak with others who have shared experiences. 

Edited by MayaSmit
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

yes it is.

If people would ask where to find the white lbgt places hell will come down.

I don't think that is true!  @MayaSmit is correct. You cannot say what you just wrote and think you are not part of the problem of privilege. There are thousands of places where many races can go and feel apart of their own community. Before reading the responses in this forum, I did not know of anywhere LGBTQ IN GENERAL, not just black people could go and meet people.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, MayaSmit said:

I totally get that some people are coming at this question from the "This is SL! Colour, race, sexuality and gender shouldn't matter here!" perspective, and understand that this is well intentioned. However, it makes sense that some people would like to find a community of residents with shared RL experiences who can maybe relate better to their frame of reference. It's not necessarily a bad thing. ❤️

Yes, no matter who you are, you want a sense of belonging...and in SL that is a big trend, belonging to a certain group. If you don't belong you are kinda on the waste side, with nowhere to go and nothing to do. That's why I started this topic. It was not intended to be racially charged at all. But thanks for your comment, I really liked that you understand.

• Like 5

Thanks @Raysa Jolbey. I hope people can see my comments were made to enlighten not to attack or critique anyone! I know in the past I have been guilty of being ignorant (not that anyone here has!) to certain things and it has really helped when someone has gone "ok, but have you thought about it this way?", so that's all I was trying to do here! ❤️

Happy self-isolating everyone!!! 😀 *smacks her head repeatedly against a wall through sheer boredom*

Edited by MayaSmit
  • Like 2

I can explain alot whats down with black folks in SL... they have changed just like many other groups, smaller, lowkey often private clubs during certain hours.. many black folks are into roleplay often as families & extended families, this is big with many coming from homes without fathers/ or raised by single mothers..often it's a roleplay that helps someone find mentorship and guidance when in real life they circling with no compass...You really have to do alot of traveling around the grid to get a bigger picture.

I follow the mighty ginkgo on youtube, she is funny & helpful, many creators are black in SL they just likely got to a point like everyone else, were they want to leave the real world outside while focusing on the things that interests them here.

The great thing about SL if your seeing something missing or needed and your up to the challenge you can create that community.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Shansi Kenin said:

I can explain alot whats down with black folks in SL... they have changed just like many other groups, smaller, lowkey often private clubs during certain hours.. many black folks are into roleplay often as families & extended families, this is big with many coming from homes without fathers/ or raised by single mothers..often it's a roleplay that helps someone find mentorship and guidance when in real life they circling with no compass...You really have to do alot of traveling around the grid to get a bigger picture.

I follow the mighty ginkgo on youtube, she is funny & helpful, many creators are black in SL they just likely got to a point like everyone else, were they want to leave the real world outside while focusing on the things that interests them here.

The great thing about SL if your seeing something missing or needed and your up to the challenge you can create that community.

I’ve attempted to explain this many times before on this forum. I just answer the question in pm’s now because whataboutisms always rear it’s head on this topic and no matter how you try to explain it, people just seem to not get it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i'd prefer to ask for a non TT lbgt place .. no matter the language

You missed the point. By her pointing out “what if people asked where to find the Dutch LGBT places” she’s pointing out that there “Holy hell” wouldn’t be raised, not whether you would ask that particular question and that you should treat the OP like that kind of question.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1431 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.