Where are all the black and gay people of SL?

Raysa Jolbey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm probably late to the party but very rarely do I see a POC avi in SL which I find sad .-. Honestly I can go anywhere and find people who look like me - Even the Furry places - and not worry except if they take offense to my card ( Non Binary Trans person here ) So I can understand asking where to find POC LBTGQ+ places to chill ( have yet to find the second half of that equation that ins't geared to sex. ) 

I am lucky I'm white passing others are not.... but the racism and homophobia and Transphobia I find on SL is well disturbing at best and sad.... just straight out the box sad. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SeikariTheMierianShadow said:

I'm probably late to the party but very rarely do I see a POC avi in SL which I find sad .-. Honestly I can go anywhere and find people who look like me - Even the Furry places - and not worry except if they take offense to my card ( Non Binary Trans person here ) So I can understand asking where to find POC LBTGQ+ places to chill ( have yet to find the second half of that equation that ins't geared to sex. ) 

I am lucky I'm white passing others are not.... but the racism and homophobia and Transphobia I find on SL is well disturbing at best and sad.... just straight out the box sad. 

I used to have a black avie for the longest, but got ignored in game until I used a white one. Plus, there are a lot of racist sims and just general racist attitudes towards black people in SL. But, I also remember the core demographic who plays the game is white. It’s usually always nice to meet other people who are actually black irl in SL. I feel like they’re more understanding and chill. 

• Like 3

how can we get others to come out, participate, be seen? it's hard to be the one to be the first to come forward but we are strong! get ourselves together and take our place, no, make our place in the new world!

what are the five things we need the most?

On 5/11/2020 at 1:06 PM, BeautifulXu said:

how can we get others to come out, participate, be seen? it's hard to be the one to be the first to come forward but we are strong! get ourselves together and take our place, no, make our place in the new world!

what are the five things we need the most?

Hi. Thought I'd jump into the conversation here as I relate to this topic heavily. I don't know if I can answer your question in full, but I can add to what you previously mentioned about getting others to come out, participate, be seen. 

1) A group of some sort where people can interact with each other

2)A place (sim) to meet up.

I've been on and off SL for quite sometime by creating different avatars, only to get disappointed and leave when things don't turn out the way I expect them to.  This mainly is due to not having found any people who I stick well with. A lot of "friendships" on here feel very superficial on here, at least from the way I feel. I can add a person, and it seems like I'm the one doing the inviting and talking to people (which is ironic because  in RL, I'm bit of introvert/kinda awkward) but people either come and then leave to do their own thing, or say they are busy. So it does get lonely at times, but I'm used to it anyways. I had the idea of possibly revealing my RL self on SL, but I wasn't how people were going to take me, so I left that idea alone. But, now, after reading that post, a flame has been reignited in me to possibly do just that, now that I have a clean slate (new avies). Hopefully I can make new friends (or if not friends) at least interact with someone that I can have a meaningful convo with. Maybe someone would like to start up a group or place to meet here on SL that revolves around black/poc & LGBTQ+? Just throwing that idea out there 😛

• Like 2

On 3/17/2020 at 2:13 PM, Raysa Jolbey said:

I have been on SL since 2007 and I just came back from a long RL break. My friend's list is non existent and most of places I use to frequent are no longer. I am trying to find new places to go to find new people to talk to and get to know. I don't mean to be racially biased but I am looking for african american places to go to...black events, places where black people go and chill. I am black in RL and in SL and I find it hard to find places that accomodate people that look like me. If anybody can hit me back and point me out some places I can go to that would be really great!!!

i'm Chinese, Native American, (adopted) and other that I can't remember. But I've been I've been in a car accident and can't remember some things. but if you go slowly and repeat yourself i'll catch up.let me know about different places and I'll check them out!

On 4/10/2020 at 9:49 PM, SileneDivinity said:

Hey I've been following this forum for quite sometime now, but never had the nerves to post... until now. If you want, feel free to IM me.

i don't usually follow but here I am!  Chinese Black and Native American.from New York.

• 2 weeks later...

Aint most ppl on sl at least the color of yummy caramell?

I dont have a problem finding Places at all. (I understand that if you are very specific about what you are looking for it can be hard, but asking around can help too. If i want to find i lesbian place for only slavic ppl who like chocolet pudding for breakfast i m gonna have a hard time) And its about you if you want to bring out sex or not. PPL have allways been very understanding if i tell them i dont want to have sex or talk about it. I like to hang out at many lesbian places. But i refuse to be part of the lgbt comunity. i feel they use me like a pet or shield to feel good or justify stuff they do.

Also i dont want white bored women to tell me to check my privilige. we are all adult here and we can talk like adulths. Lets judge a person by his or her character and not the looks.

VERY LATE TO PARTY

but... contact me if you have problems finding either nonpredjudiced points of view or members of the LGBTQIA+ society. Most of it is hidden in BDSM, to be honest, but in that realm you can find a lot of guidence and friendships as well. Also RP groups and gaming groups tend towards acceptance as much as idiots, but when you find a fit you will find a path as well. I dj'ed for a group and have found extreme predjudice of the "gay" family in a group owned and run by... gays! Pretty funny and just goes to show, idiots will always be idiots, and you learn in life how to navigate around them. 

* - gays as in an umbrella term, "gay pride"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.