Deploy Plans for the week of 2020-03-16

Caleb Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1498 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Scheduled Tuesday 2020-03-17 03:00-09:00 PDT

Second Life RC:

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2020-03-17T20:08:11.538605.html
https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2020-03-16T22%3A59%3A06.538550.html
https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2020-03-13T15%3A22%3A37.538450.html

Scheduled Wednesday 2020-03-18 07:00-10:30 PST

On Region Restarts:
Regions will be restarted if they have been running for more than 10 days on Tuesday (Main Channel) and Wednesday (RCs) regardless of whether or not new code is being deployed, for the general health and well being of the Simulators. Nothing beats turning it off and then on again ... once in a while.

As always please plan events around these maintenance windows. However, if you are hosting an event on Tuesday or Wednesday when we're not deploying new code, you can restart your region ahead of time to avoid interruptions.

• Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

That initial server-side support for the mobile client is interesting. I'm a little surprised there's anything to do server-side -- and more than a little encouraged to see it being done.

To me, this suggests that the sim will recognise the text-only viewer and not waste it's time fetching and sending graphics data that'll only get ignored.

Edited by KT Kingsley

3 hours ago, KT Kingsley said:

To me, this suggests that the sim will recognise the text-only viewer and not waste it's time fetching and sending graphics data that'll only get ignored.

In the mobile viewer, what are you in world? A jellydoll? It's been a principle of SL that you can't be invisible in world; you have to show up in the list of nearby avatars. But if you can't see what your avatar is doing, controlling an avatar in world is not really practical.

Just discussed at Server User Group. LL still working on this, but apparently mobile clients, at least initially, will not appear as an avatar in world. They can only do the things you can do from a distance - IM, group chat, voice calls, etc.

41 minutes ago, animats said:

Just discussed at Server User Group. LL still working on this, but apparently mobile clients, at least initially, will not appear as an avatar in world. They can only do the things you can do from a distance - IM, group chat, voice calls, etc.

Yeah, this may have been written about before, but I kinda didn't pay attention. It seems like a lot of effort to address a temporary situation (until the mobile client has some level of graphical viewer). I guess there's concern about non-graphical clients being exposed to others when they can't even see their own avatar. Or something.

Still not obvious to me what this means for scripts. If the non-graphical clients have no location, they're largely invisible to scripts and can't interact with them normally: Not only no touch events, also no listen()-based interactions such as menus, textboxes, etc., and of course they're invisible to sensors, collisions, controls, llGetAgentList(), raycasts, all that jazz.

In theory, a script could detect that a particular mobile agent has a connected session, and IM them a URL with which to interact over http so they can check in-world stuff. Would be handy if the mobile client offered a painless way to push that URL to the device's browser of choice. Not sure what else is possible, or even meaningful. (Presumably nothing can attach to them because there's nowhere for an attachment to rez, but do any permissions dialogs make sense such as, say, PERMISSION_DEBIT? Is there a use-case worth supporting anyway?)

• Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1498 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.