Will a 55x55 mtr house fit on a 2048 sq m parcel?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1591 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Will a  55x55 mtr house fit on a 2048 sq m parcel?

I hope I'm asking this correctly. I own a 2048 sq m parcel, which is very close to being square shaped. I found a house I love, but I'm not sure the land is large enough to put it on.

I have looked through a lot of forums and knowledge base posts, but I haven't found the answer, I'm guessing the question is way too basic or I'm just looking in the wrong place.

Thank you for any and all help.

You can always edit the house and shrink it...

If your 2048 is 'very close to being square shaped' that it has an unusual set of dimensions.

Rez a prim in the middle and size it out the edges, in numbers that are divisible by 4 (all parcels have sides that are divisible by 4). And once you have it set to the exact dimensions... see how close they are to 55x55.

Is it close enough that the house is still usable when shrunk to fit in there...

I often shrink buildings I buy anywhere down to 50-80% of original size. If your avatar is 'to-scale' (realistic height and proportions), most buildings you buy will be 30-40% too big... so I can often buy things that are rated as much bigger than the land I'm going to put them on.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, MayLynn Moonstone said:

Thank you!

I can see I need a larger plot of land. 🙂

A house that large, need a bigger land if you want enough furniture in it too, not just a few rooms. You did not mention how much the house is using in itself.

How much you like decor as plants, lamps, pictures is also a factor all add up.

Rooms like kitchens use a lot of land impact, unless you buy a 1 prim kitchen.

Since I like a lot of decor, lamps, plants, carpets and small items around to make it look "real", I would need about 500 Li for a house that big. Maybe 300 Li if I dropped the decor. And I could not use high Li furniture, like a bed that uses 20 - 30 Li.

Edited by Marianne Little

Pro tip:

If you hate maths, don't have a calculator and somehow have managed to delete the pre-installed calculator apps on your computer and cellphone, there's still Google. Type 55x55 into the search field there and you get the answer: 3025. The next question then is, can you fit 3025 into 2048?

Yes, I know this sounds a bit patronizing but it really is that simple. It's just that so many people don't realize how simple it is.

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone that replied to my question. I’m embarrassed that I didn’t figure this out my own, nope instead I post on a public forum for everyone to see how it can be when you start getting old…er. The memory is one of the first things to go, which apparently in my case it seems to have already left the building!!. 😉

I really do appreciate everyone who responded to my question.

ChinRey: Believe it or not I aced all of my math classes from simple math to algebra, geometry, and statistics. I was definitely having a brain fart. It truly looked too simple to actually be the answer. I tend to overthink everything. I do appreciate your post; you’re right that I should have done the simple math and not doubt the answer. So, thank you.

Pussycat Catnap: I would be very interested in learning how to shrink buildings! It’s a great idea! Is there somewhere that I could learn how to do that?

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I copied all of them into a word doc so I can check them all out later.

Marianne Little: You point out a lot of things that I had given some thought to, but not nearly enough. I like a lot of the little touches that make a house look like a home. Plants are an absolute must have. So I will consider all prim counts as I am decorating the house.

Thank you toLittleMe Jewell  and Fenimore Hapmouche as well. And Nova Convair thank you so much for the laugh! I will make that cube you suggested, that’s a great idea!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MayLynn Moonstone said:

I would be very interested in learning how to shrink buildings! It’s a great idea! Is there somewhere that I could learn how to do that?

It's ok to mention one of your own MP listings if it's a full perm freebie, right?

I take the chance anyway: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/MBAGR-Object-Resizer-v-521/6622985

Make sure you have a backup copy of the house. Resizing something as complex as a house, and one you didn't make yourself even, can be a bit unpredictable

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

It's ok to mention one of your own MP listings if it's a full perm freebie, right?

I take the chance anyway: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/MBAGR-Object-Resizer-v-521/6622985

Make sure you have a backup copy of the house. Resizing something as complex as a house, and one you didn't make yourself even, can be a bit unpredictable

Thank you for sharing that ChinRey. I'm going to go check it out tomorrow. It can be used on anything, right?  Hmmm, I'm intrigued and can't wait to see how well it works.

The only issue I had with resizing, is that animations can be off. The more you change size, the worse it gets. I resized the Cocoon house from DaD, it is huge. I think I took it down 25 or 15%. The animations then came totally out of place. I did not mind that so much, houses rarely have animations, right? So I took out all the animations, and edited the pool so it was just a square, and placed a few animations in it that I scavenged off Maya's houses with pools.

It is doable to edit poses if you really want. I tried to read up on it, but I found out it was too much for me.

I resize all my furniture that can actually be modded in this way. I don’t mess with the animations other than to adjust the positions of each pose within the menu itself. After having adjusted them, I take the item back into inventory and can then place the item any time being both resized and position tweaked already.

5 hours ago, MayLynn Moonstone said:

It can be used on anything, right?

Anything that is modifiable, yes.

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

The only issue I had with resizing, is that animations can be off.

Yes. Animation positions are from the center of the object the animation script is in so if you resize, they will be off.

Some other potential problems:

• Land impact, LoD and physics may change for meshes
  • Parts of the linkset may end up at the wrong position or in the wrong size if the resizing causes them to extend the objject size and/or link distance limits.
  • If a build consists of several linksets (which is likely for a house this size), it can be difficult to align the with each otehr after resizing.
  • If you need to scale to different size later, it's usually better to start from the original

In other words: Back up the item before you resize!

18 hours ago, MayLynn Moonstone said:

Pussycat Catnap: I would be very interested in learning how to shrink buildings! It’s a great idea! Is there somewhere that I could learn how to do that?

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I copied all of them into a word doc so I can check them all out later.

You can use this script:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Linkset-Resizer-Script/1224156

- That's free and full-perms (you can edit the script).

Drop it into an object and it will tell you to type:

/4 somenumber

and the item will resize by a factor of that number

So to shrink a building to 83.2753% of original size... :

/4 0.832753

It will not let you shrink any side of any prim inside the object down to smaller than 0.01m (no solution will allow this).

So often I have to edit things and look through all the prims, find the ones that have a 0.01 side, and change it to something like 0.015 - too small to be visible but enough to do the job.

And then shrink it.

How much to shrink? Well I google "standard door height" - which is 2.032m (6' 8") for a door in a newer building... I then measure the door of the actual building (put a prim by it, stretch it to the top and bottom of the door, read what the height of the prim is). Let's say it's 2.8m... yeah some builders are on crack...

2.032/2.8=0.7257142857142857

So I type into chat:

/4 0.7257142857142857

And my building is fixed.

Obviously if your avatar is much bigger than a real life person, this will make the building too small. 😛

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Or you can right click the object (the house, in this case), select edit, click the stretch option, and play with the little knobs you'll see around the object.  Be sure to first make a backup, so that it won't matter if you mess up the edit.  And please DO mess up your edit -- that's the best way to learn lol  If you'd rather get comfortable with the build tools first, then click the build option in whatever viewer you're using, and rez a cube or something.  There's nothing quite like making your own stuff in SL;  Even if it looks crummy, it's still something unique that only you made.  If push comes to shove, call it art!  🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Or you can right click the object (the house, in this case), select edit, click the stretch option, and play with the little knobs you'll see around the object.  Be sure to first make a backup, so that it won't matter if you mess up the edit.  And please DO mess up your edit -- that's the best way to learn lol  If you'd rather get comfortable with the build tools first, then click the build option in whatever viewer you're using, and rez a cube or something.  There's nothing quite like making your own stuff in SL;  Even if it looks crummy, it's still something unique that only you made.  If push comes to shove, call it art!  🙂

I love it! Messing up stuff IS the best way to learn how to do some things. Luckily I'm pretty handy with the Build Tool.

Thank you for your response and especially for the laugh! "If push comes to shove, call it art! " I totally look at it that way. 😄

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1591 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.