Comparative feature lists for different viewers?

Pussycat Catnap

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1503 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The wiki for everyone but Firestorm is rather lacking in detail.

Some of them, even on their own websites, say almost nothing beyond a mission statement.

"We do good stuff" is not enough detail...

So is there a list anywhere that tracks what different viewers offer feature wise.

I'd be interested in a list of bullet points of "this is what this viewer offers"... but for most of them I'd almost settle for anything...

As I contemplate moving from Firestorm... things causing me to hesitate are:

• Ability to right click and edit items in inventory - this is HUGE...
  • Clicking avatar and moving mouse lets me pan the camera around the avatar without the avatar moving.
  • I can click and hold on the avatar and then use arrow keys / WASD to move
  • Previewing local textures when building - I actually forget if this is now a universal thing...
  • Hiding my own show-look at. From what I can tell this feature is unique to Firestorm
  • Seeing temp-rez objects on the mini-map - this is a minor concern, but still useful.
  • Resizing the camera controls - I think about half of viewers have this, the official being one that doesn't...
  • A popup asking me if I want to allow a new audio or media to play, before it plays, even in auto-play mode.

- I get that no one will offer this list as a whole...

So I'd like to know if there's a list out there of what the various choices DO offer...

9 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

The wiki for everyone but Firestorm is rather lacking in detail.

• Clicking avatar and moving mouse lets me pan the camera around the avatar without the avatar moving.
  • Previewing local textures when building - I actually forget if this is now a universal thing...
  • Hiding my own show-look at. From what I can tell this feature is unique to Firestorm
  • Seeing temp-rez objects on the mini-map - this is a minor concern, but still useful.
  • Resizing the camera controls - I think about half of viewers have this, the official being one that doesn't...
  • A popup asking me if I want to allow a new audio or media to play, before it plays, even in auto-play mode.

Clicking the avatar to pan the camera is an option, you might want to state that since its not a fixed behavior, also this option.. all it does is hold Alt for you whenever you click your avatar. It...it alt-cams thats what i'm saying.

Clicking and holding your mouse on your avatar to move with arrow keys / WASD is not unique to Firestorm, this has been the default SL behavior since 2007 (earliest i joined, don't know what they did before that)... most people dont even know that which is why i'm so surprised people get so upset at my changed controls which basically make this the default behavior.

Previewing local textures is a base feature since years now.

Hiding your lookat is not Firestorm exclusive but mainly used in Firestorm to prevent drama they are causing with their own option to show names on these. (funny that)

I didn't even realize you don't see temp rez objects on the minimap. Geez, who thought thats a good idea.

The reason half (i presume almost all) don't allow resizing the camera controls is because it really doesn't make sense from a technial standpoint, none of the camera window tabs offer any benefits of doing so (other than the preset list in my viewer because its practically endless with customs being addable). I haven't checked how Firestorm does it but i know of no easy way to make the controls (the actual buttons and stuff) resize properly with the window size (especially both of them) with all their buttons staying perfectly in their proper position, infact i believe thats completely impossible without using some hacky layout panels and helping the resize via code. Either buttons would become off center, would clip into each other (or other widgets in that window) or don't do anything at all. Really there is no point in resizing the camera controls, actually you wouldn't want to use them at all and if you do keep them as small as possible.

Also... i know you listed stuff you'd miss but a comprehensive list of Firestorm features alone would like... uh... you better glue a few more monitors to yours or have the list posted to one of those gruesome infinite-scroll websites where you can just keep scrolling down because you'll be scrolling until your scrollwheel plops off, attaches to a hotwheels car and drives off into the sunset. Haha.

I wouldn't even know how to compile a comprehensive list, i can either write a list thats just 2 entries because it groups all things together or i can write a list thats so long you could think its inflated because it lists every single detail that i can remember. Heck i'd have to go through my blog to remember half of them... cant you just... like... ask something specific, thats way easier...

Edited by NiranV Dean

I gave a list of things I'd miss just because it is that - the things that I am seeking alternative ideas for in my attempts to get past using Firestorm.

They have this long bullet list on the TPV page - it's not comprehensive, but it does give a prospective downloader a hint at what they might get.

I'm hoping to see competitive lists from other viewers that let me shop and say to myself "hey... I like these features over here - I think I will go with that one" or even "oh, I didn't even realize that one offered that even though I tried it, let's look again and try that feature out."

For your viewer, two things jump out at me personally that are making it very compelling:

1. My FPS is about double that of Firestorm, when I have your viewer in Ultra. I feel like I am actually getting use out of my GPU even though I know from reading your blog that I'm not getting as much as I should due to SL's platform limitations (I have a 2080 RTX, an AMD 2700 processor, and 32gb of ram... SL running in full ultra is using about as much of my system as my screen saver is... but at least with your viewer it actually FEELS alive).

2. The movement keys... for the most part they're more natural to me.

After making my post earlier I realized what was going on with the 'click and hold on avatar to move' issue... I had set myself to 'click a spot to walk there' - in all viewers other than firestorm them sees the click a spot even if that spot is a spot blocked by my avatar... in Firestorm, my avatar blocks that click... realizing this... I actually realized that... this is a Firestorm flaw, and it's why 'click to move' never seemed to work right for me in Firestorm... (they do have a 'click both mouse buttons' to move feature that is a bit MMO like, but is one of those methods of moving in an MMO that actual action-players never use because it takes too much tension to keep up).

Seeing temp-rezzed objects on the mini-map... You state " I didn't even realize you don't see temp rez objects on the minimap" - does this mean I should see them in your viewer? This is a feature I largely ignored until moving to the new Linden Homes region where... temp-rezzers are banned. Not all forms of temp-rezzing are banned, just those ones that re-rez the item every 59-seconds... in Firestorm I can see those items on the mini-map. I hit a laggy region, I can rapidly figure out what to AR... :P

(On mainland I happen to live next to a person who has so many of those things going the mini-map of her plot is just an orange pulsing cloud (the color they show on the mini-map), but because most of the region is empty it doesn't lag things enough for me to notice...)

And yeah I don't know what to ask for because I don't know what's there... more what I'm hoping to see is people who have used the different viewers a lot saying what they found in each... combined with a little bit of... if I walked into a market and two vendors were selling me their price farm goods... what is each one going to tell me to get me to buy their veggies... ;)

(I am also just downloading them all and trying them... so in the end I might have some of this list myself... but we can see from your comments themselves that some of my 'list' is actually mistakes on my part.)

1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Seeing temp-rezzed objects on the mini-map... You state " I didn't even realize you don't see temp rez objects on the minimap" - does this mean I should see them in your viewer? This is a feature I largely ignored until moving to the new Linden Homes region where... temp-rezzers are banned. Not all forms of temp-rezzing are banned, just those ones that re-rez the item every 59-seconds... in Firestorm I can see those items on the mini-map. I hit a laggy region, I can rapidly figure out what to AR... :P

No, i meant that i never noticed that they are missing, i just checked it here on my parcel and temp items are shown just fine, at least those i rez myself, i highly doubt it but it could be different with objects rezzed from other objects. I'm 100% sure i've never touched the minimap display other than showing the chat rings, so what you are reporting is basically a bug. Temp-rez items should be visible (and at least in my Viewer they are which leads me to believe that they are in the LL Viewer too)

About a comprehensive list for my Viewer, well lets see:

• ****loads of hidden UI features (i recommend checking out this thread for a comprehensive list of most of them)
  • The ability to change the water height for pictures
  • The ability to fully freeze the world for pictures or at any time for whatever reason
  • The ability to pose your avatar and all animeshes around at will, anywhere, anytime.
  • The ability to use your poses to animate your avatar in a basic way (see the youtube video for an example) 
  • The ability to select highly unoptimized meshes without your PC committing senpuku and the ability to actually see through the horrid mess of triangles while selected.
  • A cool login video
  • The ability to use up to 8gb VRAM for textures and the ability to let the Viewer automatically handle it for you to reduce texture thrashing to a minimum.
  • The ability to create infinite custom camera presets and/or change the default ones.
  • The ability to create infinite custom keybindings or change the default ones.
  • The ability to feel the wibblydiwobbly of your avatar when moving around in mouselook and third person.
  • The ability to roll your camera without flycam.
  • The possibility to ignore probably thousands of lines of tooltips i painfully wrote to explain what features do.
  • The possibility to hate the sidebar once more by using the machinima sidebar.
  • The ability to put toolbar buttons to the top.
  • The Object manipulator to quickly toggle shadows on lights and toggle lights on/off or toggle alpha modes on objects around you. (At least those that are displayed, i'm investigating why not all of them are shown)
  • The ability to manipulate objects, hide, unhide, defullbright those GODDAMN plants, mask or blend alphas temporarily for pictures and totally not to make your hidden dick pop through your pants like a noob. Tis better than derender!
  • The Animation manipulator allowing you to preview .anims, speed them up/slow them down, freeze or reset animations and copy and paste animations to test them temporarily and locally, like testing a run animation while actually f***ing running and previously also to make everyone dance for you before LL put a stop to it. You can also just abuse it to sync animations, duh!
  • The ability to see in a complete and detailed breakdown why your complexity and that of others is so goddamn high.
  • The ability to lock depth of field focus to a point or move it around via mouse just like with flycam except you're not using flycam.
  • The ability to use a controller to move your avatar without your avatar or camera jerkingly stopping every meter because apparently moving two axis at the same time is too much for SL to handle.
  • The ability to rebind the controller buttons.
  • The ability to change several features on the fly like cloud noise images or water reflection resolution without having to relog or switch to potato mode and back. Also lots of graphic feature toggling without waiting 5 seconds for all shaders to recompile.
  • The ability to toggle light softening and Screen Space Ambient Occlusion seperately instead of as combined f***all "Ambient Occlusion" option.
  • The possibility to google the rendering features because you read the graphic option labels and have no idea what they mean or what they are because you didn't read the tooltips but the options are correctly labeled with their proper names.
  • Volumetric lighting.
  • Cheapish Screen Space Reflections (actually they are not cheap at all, they will quickly use a good chunk of your GPU with higher resolution)
  • The ability to toggle between the old original GPU burning Depth of Field that produces amazing visuals or the new cheapish Depth of Field that leaves your GPU alone to die in another fire (probably Screen Space Reflections) but looks far less good.
  • The ability to turn off that obnoxious near-cam depth of field blur, especially handy with super blur shots where the focus area becomes super narrow.
  • The ability to exclude alphas from Depth of Field so they dont ruin your beautiful Volumetric Lighting and Depth of Field shots with their completely bugged solid-surface buggery since Materials until this is properly fixed... someday.
  • Motion Blur. The REAL one. Not the Call of Duty one where your screen turns to a mess the moment you touch the camera because apparently totally overdoing a somewhat subtle effect that only happens in real life under extreme conditions (like spinning fast in circles while not focusing anything specific) is super realistic nowadays.
  • The ability to turn off all fullbrights in an instant. Defullbright the entire world forever if thats what you desire.
  • The ability to toggle lights on/off seperately depending on if they are attached to you, someone else or just normal inworld lights. Wow. Finally you can turn off your pesky street-illuminating facelights while keeping my beautiful back crystals glowing!
  • The ability to set the global light brightness intensity, this is essentially a global light on/off toggle, except its not a toggle but you can set it from anywhere to off to thousand times the sun.
  • The ability to use a few basic instagram filters in real-time like.... posterize... greyscale... sepia... and chromatic aberration.
  • The ability to take snapshots at super high resolutions without your GPU attempting to calculate the correct atmospheric entry angle of a broken spaceship crashlanding on an alien moon with giant mountains and spires because the Viewer thinks its a good idea to link your base shadow resolution of all 6 shadow maps to the screen resolution (and thus your snapshot resolution) basically resulting in 6 24.000x24.000 shadow maps because you forgot to turn down the shadow resolution multiplier before trying to take a 6k snapshot. (Pretty much guaranteed to crash you btw)
  • You can set the shadow resolution and distance of every of the 4 sun shadow maps seperately. Have ***** shadows over there, ***** shadows over there and nice and crisp shadows over here and save some performance too because who needs 4k shadow resolution on the other side of the SIM.
  • A clean and space saving UI with a consistent looking design rather than random buttons jumbled across the screen triggering everyones OCD so hard you want to punch your monitor.
  • Did i mention the login screen video? It's Doomed Ship btw.
  • The ability to annoy your most beloved Viewer dev directly from your friendlist with the most basic things, no matter if you are a friend or not, man you got dem connections!
  • Fancier graphics all around, tweaks to all settings, new defaults, shader improvements and more.

I think that should be most of them, at least those not found in other viewers (not to my knowledge that is)

Edited by NiranV Dean
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Heh, Niran, and folks call you "touchy" (or worse)... For me, your snarky style (including self-snark so you're clearly an equal opportunity snek) never fails to make me grin - particularly since you manage to do it while being technically correct too :)

If you are a broken sad f*** pestered by your own conscience the only thing left to do is take everything with a corn silo full of salt and add a lot of sarcasm to everything you say, most people don't like or understand my kind of humor though.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

- I get that no one will offer this list as a whole...

So I'd like to know if there's a list out there of what the various choices DO offer...

I've been using Kokua since last Fall,  and there are a couple of things on your list which are available in Kokua:

• If by "ability to right click and edit items in inventory" you are referring to being able to get the "edit" option from right clicking on an item that is being worn by your avatar, and then bring up the edit window, yes, it appears you can do that in Kokua
  • The mini-map has a preference to check for showing temp-rez objects
  • There are preference check boxes for "Do not reveal to others where I am looking" and for "Do not reveal to others where I point (click)"
  • It does not look like the camera controls box can be re-sized, but compared to the one in the LL viewer, it is small and I don't think that I would make it much smaller if I was able to resize it

I do not recall getting a popup asking if I want to allow a new audio or media to play, so it looks like that is not available

The movement related items I'm not sure about - I think there may be some nuances about what you do that I am not aware of.  For the ways that I use movement, I did not see a difference between Firestorm and Kokua.   In preference, you can set the single-click on land to have your avatar move to the clicked spot, though that is something I haven't used.

I don't know about previewing local textures when building, because using local textures is something that I have not tried.

Other things not on your list, but things I looked for when trying out different viewers:

• preference check box to enable chatbar commands (like tph, tp2cam, etc)
  • preference check box to rez objects under the land group if possible
  • choice between using the legacy search or the web search window
  • displays legacy profile window
  • mini-map shows parcel outlines
  • ability in group window to turn off receiving group notices and/or group IM's

This isn't meant to be an exhaustive list of capabilities - I'm not a power-user - but trying to address things you had mentioned, and that I tend to look for in a viewer.

4 hours ago, NiranV Dean said:

If you are a broken sad f*** pestered by your own conscience the only thing left to do is take everything with a corn silo full of salt and add a lot of sarcasm to everything you say, most people don't like or understand my kind of humor though.

you just misunderstood

this is written by Lou Reed for Andy Warhol. Is your song also I think

Vicious
You hit me with a flower
You do it every hour
Oh, baby, you're so vicious

Vicious is off the Transformer album (1972) - the emo songbook before there was emo. Producer David Bowie

is a classic this album, seminal even.  Like Perfect Day

Just a perfect day
You made me forget myself
I thought I was
Someone else, someone good
Oh, it's such a perfect day
I'm glad I spent it with you

1 hour ago, moirakathleen said:
  • displays legacy profile window

Inconsistencies in profile windows has been driving me nuts during all this.

Catznip: Forces you to use web profile, lets you choose web or legacy for others. Like... WTF? Why not let me choose for either, or lock it to one or the other...

Firestorm: choose - but if you use legacy your profile image is 4x3 because WTF.

Everybody else: profile image is 1x1 in either form.

- WTF is Firestorm up to there... I don't know... but it's annoying because it means I cannot get something that everyone will see the same way... And Catzip... you can only use for yourself the profile format other uses will NOT see of you by default... the one they will see, you have to log into another viewer to adjust it...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Inconsistencies in profile windows has been driving me nuts during all this.

Catznip: Forces you to use web profile, lets you choose web or legacy for others. Like... WTF? Why not let me choose for either, or lock it to one or the other...

Firestorm: choose - but if you use legacy your profile image is 4x3 because WTF.

Everybody else: profile image is 1x1 in either form.

- WTF is Firestorm up to there... I don't know... but it's annoying because it means I cannot get something that everyone will see the same way... And Catzip... you can only use for yourself the profile format other uses will NOT see of you by default... the one they will see, you have to log into another viewer to adjust it...

Catznip doesn't have the legacy profile project thats coming up soon. If i didn't merge that project early i'd use web profiles too.

Also webprofiles can be seen by anyone regardless of Viewer, most Viewers even have a tab to show the web profile or an option to see it. Everything you put into the web profile will be shown both in the legacy profile as well as the small the hover-profiles for everyone regardless of Viewer, the information is the same, the only thing thats seperate is the new interests tag list which doesn't use the legacy Interests information.

I'm not sure anymore exactly how the default legacy profiles will handle it but i've opted to force 1:1 ratio for legacy profiles, the legacy profiles may scale automatically though i've disabled that as it caused unfixable crashes when closing the profile window while the texture was still loading.

4:3 was the default ratio in V1 if i remember correct, it wasn't until V2 that 1:1 was used and even there it was still 4:3 for a while, so FS is just doing what they always do, cling to compatibility like LL does usually.

All Viewers will soon™ get legacy profiles again.

Edited by NiranV Dean
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 1:33 PM, moirakathleen said:

I've been using Kokua since last Fall,  and there are a couple of things on your list which are available in Kokua:

Apparently Kokua is severely out of date - the newest version does NOT seems to support BOM.

Also;

Kokua's download page...

The actual download links DO exist below the error messages I'm noting here... but this isn't a good look.

Has this project been discontinued?

http://wiki.kokuaviewer.org/wiki/Kokua/Downloads

This page is no longer being updated and its content will be removed in due course. Visit https://kokua.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/KSL/pages/1638583/Downloads for the latest Download information

https://kokua.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/KSL/pages/1638583/Downloads

Page Not Found

The page you were trying to reach could not be found. This could be because:

• The page does not exist.
  • The page exists, but you do not have permission to view it.

Go to

7 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Apparently Kokua is severely out of date - the newest version does NOT seems to support BOM.

Also;

Kokua's download page...

The actual download links DO exist below the error messages I'm noting here... but this isn't a good look.

Has this project been discontinued?

There are some issues with their wiki and download page - apparently more now than when I downloaded the version I'm running.

The version I'm using is 6.3.5.46556 and it DOES support BOM. 

I can't tell you right now how I accessed the download, as I don't see the version I'm using on the download page that is currently accessible. I originally downloaded it in October, and then in January downloaded it again, switching to the No RLV version.   Very odd.  I hope it's not discontinued, as I like it best of the viewers I've tried so far. 

Ctrl + S in FS. resynch animations. If you are trying to video people dancing or such, super useful. Non existent in BD

"edit' a objection you are wearing via inventory, only in FS. If you have on a facelite to make a photo, super useful. In BD have to use the old fashioned method turn on transparencies and hope you can find the face light

Refresh textures in FS. Cannot do that in BD

But alot of what BD does that FS doesn't do outweighs alot of those minor things. Also, tone mapping super awesome specially making dark images when using BD

17 minutes ago, Jackson Redstar said:

Ctrl + S in FS. resynch animations. If you are trying to video people dancing or such, super useful. Non existent in BD

"edit' a objection you are wearing via inventory, only in FS. If you have on a facelite to make a photo, super useful. In BD have to use the old fashioned method turn on transparencies and hope you can find the face light

Dragon - My Useful Features - Animation Controls, select everyone you want to sync, hit Reset

Dragon - My Useful Features - Performance Tools - Advanced Complexity Information, select yourself, double click any attachment to select it while tools it opened.

I force each alt to use a different viewer. My main is stuck on Catznip and can't really imagine giving up the Quick Preferences FOLDER option. I'm still baffled why other viewers haven't adopted this. (The later Firestorm version of this feature seems exceptionally weak sauce, unless it excels at something other than how I use the feature.)

A universal checklist of viewer features sounds valuable, but hopelessly difficult. Like a Tom's Guide feature table for SL viewers. But there are so many that appeal to only a tiny subset of users, it would be a ridiculously sparse array.

51 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I force each alt to use a different viewer. My main is stuck on Catznip and can't really imagine giving up the Quick Preferences FOLDER option. I'm still baffled why other viewers haven't adopted this. (The later Firestorm version of this feature seems exceptionally weak sauce, unless it excels at something other than how I use the feature.)

The reasons for not implementing this feature can be many.

One that this feature, whatever Quick Preferences Folder is (i imagine a folder for... quick preferences (presets maybe?), is not well known, i didn't even know it existed.

Two that not all devs keep track of what other Viewers do, especially not when we're talking about Viewers that keep quiet.

Three that Catznip especially is a case where the code often lacks severely behind the actual releases (for the reasons being that other Viewers don't take Catznip's features early - looking at Firestorm here)

Four, my personal reason, i don't just take features from other Viewers and if possible (and aware) try to not implement features that are already in other Viewers unless i want them personally and they are offered to me or there is a way to implement them in a different way than found in other Viewers -> Animation Sync, Edit Worn Attachments etc.

17 hours ago, NiranV Dean said:

Four, my personal reason, i don't just take features from other Viewers and if possible (and aware) try to not implement features that are already in other Viewers unless i want them personally and they are offered to me or there is a way to implement them in a different way than found in other Viewers -> Animation Sync, Edit Worn Attachments etc.

I appreciate this. Now that I have an up-to-date version of Kokua going I have been looking around and notice it has the built in AO of Firestorm... to the point that it even loaded up with my friestorm configuration pre-loaded in there (so it used the #Firestorm folder in my inventory). this actually concerned me. If they've just copy-pasted Firestorm's code - have the been infected with Firestorm's "bloat"... I don't know... but once I see something so obviously copied in, my concern starts to fester... Trading the direct code for features means you can also be trading the bugs...

(And the built in AO of Firestorm is a rather buggy feature - especially now that I'm using my new AO that uses llSetAnimationOverride, I'm realizing a lot of things I had thought were SL bugs were actually Firestorm bugs... - like often being stuck in a falling animation after a TP into or out of a laggy location... which no longer happens to me... Other animations too could sometimes stick, and not end without a restart of a Viewer - an issue I no longer experience...

So... once we have code getting traded around, we have that code's quality also getting traded around...

3 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I appreciate this. Now that I have an up-to-date version of Kokua going I have been looking around and notice it has the built in AO of Firestorm... to the point that it even loaded up with my friestorm configuration pre-loaded in there (so it used the #Firestorm folder in my inventory). this actually concerned me. If they've just copy-pasted Firestorm's code - have the been infected with Firestorm's "bloat"... I don't know... but once I see something so obviously copied in, my concern starts to fester... Trading the direct code for features means you can also be trading the bugs...

(And the built in AO of Firestorm is a rather buggy feature - especially now that I'm using my new AO that uses llSetAnimationOverride, I'm realizing a lot of things I had thought were SL bugs were actually Firestorm bugs... - like often being stuck in a falling animation after a TP into or out of a laggy location... which no longer happens to me... Other animations too could sometimes stick, and not end without a restart of a Viewer - an issue I no longer experience...

So... once we have code getting traded around, we have that code's quality also getting traded around...

Which is probably why no one takes stuff from me.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while but coming back to this to note one thing I discovered yesterday.

RLV versions:

RLVa:

• Firestorm
  • Black Dragon
  • Catsnip

RLV:

• Kokua
  • RestrainedLife

If you use RLV for 'non-BDSM purposes' this can be very important. One very handy feature of RLVa is an easy outfit configuration system that lets you wear partial outfits. Set up a basics folder of things never changed, and then set up outfits for the things you will change. The outfits will not touch anything in basics. This feature is just one of possibly many NOT in 'RLV' but only in 'RLVa'.

That ended up being a deal-breaker for me for using Kokua.

Sadly Dragon Viewer has serious issues loading textures, with the first 5-20 minutes of any login session always looking something like this:

66c825423eac4c32eb8ac34955129212.jpg

Even if I let if fully load, log out and back in and I'm back to this... unless I can figure out what I may have configured wrong to cause this, I'm stuck with Firestorm (because Catznip hasn't been updated since before BOM).

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Been a while but coming back to this to note one thing I discovered yesterday.

RLV versions:

RLVa:

• Firestorm
  • Black Dragon
  • Catsnip

RLV:

• Kokua
  • RestrainedLife

If you use RLV for 'non-BDSM purposes' this can be very important. One very handy feature of RLVa is an easy outfit configuration system that lets you wear partial outfits. Set up a basics folder of things never changed, and then set up outfits for the things you will change. The outfits will not touch anything in basics. This feature is just one of possibly many NOT in 'RLV' but only in 'RLVa'.

That ended up being a deal-breaker for me for using Kokua.

Sadly Dragon Viewer has serious issues loading textures, with the first 5-20 minutes of any login session always looking something like this:

66c825423eac4c32eb8ac34955129212.jpg

Even if I let if fully load, log out and back in and I'm back to this... unless I can figure out what I may have configured wrong to cause this, I'm stuck with Firestorm (because Catznip hasn't been updated since before BOM).

Did you try default settings?

1 hour ago, NiranV Dean said:

Did you try default settings?

As yet undetermined results.

One re-log, my body textures snapped in, another - about 2 minute delay.

When I go through the settings I see nothing that appears to have changed.

- Will keep watching that.

Added note on RLVa vs RLV: either way one is stuck with an RLV collar to use - and those things are script beasts best left not used except when needed... so...
RLVa/RLV support may not be so vital until the day we can get a collar that isn't one of the most script bloated nightmares in all of SL...

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1503 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.