Money taken without authorization

BlooZWaters

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1434 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

24 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, BlooZWaters said:

Guess what?  That didn't happen.  And, I'm not some kind of newbie.  The only thing I clicked on is OK when i was given the blue window that I was entered in the sploder.

I also told the landowner about it, and that it had taken 25L from me.  But he gave me 30L and then blocked me.  Not sure why he did that, I wasn't blaming him for anything, and I just wanted him to know about it.

You don't have to be a newbie to make mistakes. However I'm a scripter and I can say with confidence that there is no way for a script to charge you more than you paid or charge you without debit permissions, or gain those automatically. 

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, BlooZWaters said:

Possibly a script to create a blue window that looks official???  .....wondering if someone sent me that.

Debit permissions have their own unique dialog with no way to recreate it without changes to the viewer itself.

In fact any permissions have their own dialog that cannot be recreated.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Btw how much is that in US dollars?

Not much.  But, it's the point that they were able to do it, not the total $$.  If someone can take 30L, then they could take 30,000L.  It's just the point.

Edited by BlooZWaters

9 minutes ago, BlooZWaters said:

As I stated before, It is not the lindens; it's the principle that ANY amount could be taken from me.

instead of ten posts and keeping arguing.. check who you paid and deal with that person. Even the person that lost 200 k yesterday didn't demand this level of attention.

• Like 2

Have you checked your transaction history? The only possibilities for money being taken from you and you not having to accept debit permissions or not getting the "You paid xyz L$xxx" dialogue is you have land that is set to show in search or you are a member of at least one group that has accounting/liabilities enabled for all members or a particular roll you have within a group and you were charged liabilities. Your transaction history will show this 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dqhp8507 said:

You be surprised how many griefers come up with hacks and scripting bugs to grief and steal. SL is hardly safe and very little is done about it. You have to use common sense and avoid clicking on everything.

Class, here we have an example of Clarke's Law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.  Of course, "sufficiently advanced" is a relative term, and both the technology itself and the viewer's knowledge and understanding of that technology are factors.

In this case, we have a person who is unfamiliar with LSL, the programming language of SL.  They see it do wonderful things, and therefore attribute to it the ability to do absolutely anything.

Dqhp, LSL can do many things, but no matter how you twist its tail it can't go beyond its own built in limitations.  I don't care how good a hacker you are, you can't make it steal money from someone.  The victim HAS to give it permission.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BlooZWaters said:

Hello, I was at a VooDoo Sploder event.   When I received the message that I had been paid $5L,  I INSTEAD was CHARGED 25L.   Before the sploder ended, my account balance was L331.  And, immediately when I received the message that I was paid, my balance went to L306.

Did you file an abuse report if you feel the sploder it ilegally taking L$?  This is all i can find about sploders

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/How_to_Earn_Linden_Dollars_in_Second_Life#Lotteries

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Btw how much is that in US dollars?

ehmmm something like
1/270 * 25   ....
or 1/11 ... lets say 9 cts
not really in balance with the time and cost spend by support i guess.
If the ticket would get a fee for the solution, people would think twice before filing issues like this.

and to OP... as far i know you need to give permission before money can be taken, so perhaps something is missing in the memory of your experience?

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 2

Guess what?  That didn't happen.  And, I'm not some kind of newbie.  The only thing I clicked on is OK when i was given the blue window that I was entered in the sploder.

I also told the landowner about it, and that it had taken 25L from me.  But he gave me 30L and then blocked me.  Not sure why he did that, I wasn't blaming him for anything, and I just wanted him to know about it.

Edited by BlooZWaters

Just now, Wulfie Reanimator said:

You don't have to be a newbie to make mistakes. However I'm a long-time scripter and I can say with confidence that there is no way for a script to charge you more than you paid or charge you without debit permissions, or gain those automatically. 

Possibly a script to create a blue window that looks official???  .....wondering if someone sent me that.

2 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Debit permissions have their own unique dialog with no way to recreate it without changes to the viewer itself.

Ok, thanks.  Then it had to come from someone in LL.   I am positive that I didn't click on anything like that, and I am positive that I didn't receive any debit permissions then.  I know what the debit permission looks like, and I would never click ok on a back window like that.

Edited by BlooZWaters

10 minutes ago, BlooZWaters said:

By the way, a great amount of time has passed, and I still have not had a reply from VooDoo or LL.

You won't hear anything from LL other than their acknowledgement email when you file the abuse report.  If your abuse report was clear and concise and gave them actual information they could follow through with then they will investigate if the sploder is working within the TOS and that is it.  You won't hear the result of their findings. 

I have no idea how voodoo deals with customer complaints but as Wulfie has mentioned, nobody can take your lindens without you clicking to agree in some way.   

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 4:07 AM, BlooZWaters said:

Hello, I was at a VooDoo Sploder event.   When I received the message that I had been paid $5L,  I INSTEAD was CHARGED 25L.   Before the sploder ended, my account balance was L331.  And, immediately when I received the message that I was paid, my balance went to L306.

Any time money is taken from your account, you have to authorize it or give permissions to an object to take L$ as needed.

I would never accept that dialog that an object could take L$ whenever they feel like, no matter “how repuatable” they seem.

Just now, Alwin Alcott said:

phhhewww al this for 9 cts ...

check your L$ transfers, look were it went, contact that person.. i bet he's filthy rich now he found a way to take money without permission.

As I stated before, It is not the lindens; it's the principle that ANY amount could be taken from me.

On 2/18/2020 at 12:40 PM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

You don't have to be a newbie to make mistakes. However I'm a scripter and I can say with confidence that there is no way for a script to charge you more than you paid or charge you without debit permissions, or gain those automatically. 

You be surprised how many griefers come up with hacks and scripting bugs to grief and steal. SL is hardly safe and very little is done about it. You have to use common sense and avoid clicking on everything.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1434 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.