What are you listening to?

On 6/13/2022 at 9:47 AM, Ina Fairport said:

The best track of take five

I recall watching a TV programme about a revolution in Jazz caused by 3 seminal works in one year, 1959. One was Dave Brubeck's Time Out, that Take Five is taken from. Take Five amazing tune. The album itself contains lots of influences from Eurasia and Turkey, it sold incredibly well for a modern Jazz record. 

Another of the three was the Shape of Things to Come by Ornette Coleman. To be honest he progresses into a freeform style that loses me later on, but this album is exquisite and the first track here made it as a much copied standard. 

And finally Kind of Blue - Miles Davis:  A stunning perfect album

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

I recall watching a TV programme about a revolution in Jazz caused by 3 seminal works in one year, 1959. One was Dave Brubeck's Time Out, that Take Five is taken from. Take Five amazing tune. The album itself contains lots of influences from Eurasia and Turkey, it sold incredibly well for a modern Jazz record. 

Another of the three was the Shape of Things to Come by Ornette Coleman. To be honest he progresses into a freeform style that loses me later on, but this album is exquisite and the first track here made it as a much copied standard. 

And finally Kind of Blue - Miles Davis:  A stunning perfect album

I am not a native speaker and sometimes say silly things. I should have said best recording instead of best track. Take five was written by Paul Desmond. Later on he wrote take ten :)

I started collecting Jazz more than 40 years ago. I took my first saxophone lessons and my teachter was a Parker fan. So it all started with Bird.

• Like 3

Lately I've been obsessed with 1980s guitar tones, especially stuff created with Rockman gear. This song popped into my head, and indeed the band's guitarists recorded this album largely with the Rockman stuff for amplification and effects.

(Google Tom Scholz and Rockman, well worth a look for the gearheads.)