No computer. Just on my phone. Want to visit SL.

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My thoughts are gravitating to the need for a mobile viewer. It'd be nice to be able to do activities like shopping and trying on demos. I'd love to be able to teleport to a shopping event and browse the vendors. I would even go to events that I normally don't visit.  Or simply going to the SL Marketplace and receiving items into the mobile viewer received items folder would be fun. All I'd need on the viewer is just my avatar and a good way to look at my inventory

The ad copy for a mobile viewer would be, "Dress up your avatar on your phone! Chat with friends! When you're ready, get on your computer and meet up to have fun inside a virtual world! Second Life!"

They tried this some time ago. I got to beta-test a streaming thing they did and it was a horrific experience. Imagine the full interface you have on a computer, but scaled down to 4 to 6 inches. And everything is touch-based, but designed for a mouse pointer. You get the idea. The mobile app Linden Lab is working one will allow you to chat, perhaps manage inventory, maybe edit a notecard or two, even pay people money, but not a whole lot more than this and certainly not all these things at first.

• Thanks 1

Yes.  I got to try it too, briefly.  I can't say it was any better than running Remote Desktop Protocol app on my iPhone to my desktop PC.  I have been told by a friend that Splashtop is easier to control but I have not tried it.

• Like 1

Yes, A limited environment in which to present your avatar for viewing while dressing would be useful.  I don't know how many people would agree, but I might use it.  If it gives access to some of SLs communications capabilities it might be quite useful, indeed.

For the longest time I had an app on iOS that basically did everything except draw the picture. Anything and everything that you could do through text was available: Create and edit notecards, scripts, move inventory around, delete inventory, chat, IM, pay people L$, literally everything that can be done without actually interacting with the world. It even showed the world map and you could TP anywhere - it was as though you are just a virtual blind person.

Unfortunately that app was never maintained past a few years and has since disappeared from the App Store. I am hopeful the LL version will eventually have all those features, though certainly not at the beginning.

Edited by Alyona Su

12 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

A mobile version might be fine for chat or maybe checking messages, but a computer is still the way to go and nowadays you can get a computer cheap.

Actually nowadays you can have a lot of games and applications on mobile which previously were available only on pc.

Additionally, for example I travel a lot and I have to carry my business laptop with me. And I am not allowed to install or launch anything except company approved software. I really don't want to travel with 2 laptops but I do want to log in to SL from time to time. I'd love to have a tablet version.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Angelina String said:

Sounds a bit like MetaChat to me...

Works with SL of course, here’s the crowd at the Uber event right now ;)

I'm familiar with meta Chat, that's not it, it was a lot better-looking and more graceful in UI and it did a lot more. It's not even in my previous purchases any longer.Either way, I'll wait for the LL answer and see what that's like. :)

9 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I'm familiar with meta Chat, that's not it, it was a lot better-looking and more graceful in UI and it did a lot more. It's not even in my previous purchases any longer.Either way, I'll wait for the LL answer and see what that's like. :)

Then I guess you are thinking of Pocket Metaverse/TouchLife  - I really miss that one...

1207578425_PocketMetaverseImage.png.0331f640d3f9a587dd5b39f607579342.png

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 5:00 AM, Saskia Rieko said:

Actually nowadays you can have a lot of games and applications on mobile which previously were available only on pc.

Additionally, for example I travel a lot and I have to carry my business laptop with me. And I am not allowed to install or launch anything except company approved software. I really don't want to travel with 2 laptops but I do want to log in to SL from time to time. I'd love to have a tablet version.

My man used to play a game that went to mobile.  And they discontinued the computer version.

You can always visit the Marketplace on any device for stuff you want to try later. I won't even visit SL on a laptop unless I really have to, much less on a mobile device. I'd probably use a limited SL environment at times too, if it were available, but don't see how that can happen without an alternate SL. Like an OpenSim-like local SIM.

My i7 and GeForce are getting long in the tooth, but I fail to see how even my pretty recent LG phone could even begin to keep up. Different perspectives I guess :)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.