Sense of Community

Rabid Cheetah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm delighted that one of the goals of the new Linden Homes is to establish a sense of community.  Seeing so many places with the doors wide open, letting folks know visitors are welcome, is a wonderful addition to Second Life culture.  Still, it's hard to have a sense of community if you can't find a lot of neighbors around.  What am I missing?  Am I just on at the wrong time?  Where and when do folks congregate?  Are there any regular events?

Edited by Rabid Cheetah
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

I'm delighted that one of the goals of the new Linden Homes is to establish a sense of community.  Seeing so many places with the doors wide open, letting folks know visitors are welcome, is a wonderful addition to Second Life culture.  Still, it's hard to have a sense of community if you can't find a lot of neighbors around.  What am I missing?  Am I just on at the wrong time?  Where and when do folks congregate?  Are there any regular events?

you miss nothing, but you, as many others thought to get into a community dream, but it's not there. If you wnt it in your neighbourhood, you'll have to work on it.
Perhaps some is left in the first released regions, but people move so many times, that it's hardly there either.
First week the Belli regions were totally green on the map by all visitors/residents, but that disapeared as soon teh shiny new was gone.
Now it's still better than mainland, but getting more and more spreaded.
Timezones is one, but there are many other reasons.
To get connected more, join belli groups, however many of those are poisoned by groups of people that think they are more than others. Or you'll get nuts by all meaningless chatter.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 10

11 minutes ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Where and when do folks congregate?  Are there any regular events?

Did you join these groups yet ?

Citizens - secondlife:///app/group/f7b0c9d9-ab6d-30d1-e37f-52b2bb132074/about

Events - secondlife:///app/group/0913c244-8878-95ba-c08c-81fc2214b555/about

Hippiestock is on soon too  - 2020  Jan. 25th Saturday
This is the 10th Annual HIppiestock!

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Lagrange Point/123/98/21

Edited by rasterscan
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

What am I missing?  Am I just on at the wrong time?  Where and when do folks congregate?  Are there any regular events?

Hi Rabid, welcome to Bellisseria! Joining some groups is a good idea, I find Bellisseria citizens to be the most active during my online time. Also stay around on the forum as you will find out all sorts of interesting things! Yes there are events, again you will need to join groups to find out about these as we don't yet have a central place to list Belli happenings.

From my perspective Belli is like village life, you need to network just a little to join in.

• Like 3

@Rabid Cheetah, as other friends have mentioned before, join the Belli groups and walk around the neighbourhood. Like in RL when you move to a new place, it takes some time till you get familiar with your home and it will take some time for you to feel part of a community. Afterall, we are humans behind the avis :) 

Edited by Elena Core
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Where and when do folks congregate?  Are there any regular events?

Almost constantly.

As noted above get into the Citizens group: https://my.secondlife.com/groups/f7b0c9d9-ab6d-30d1-e37f-52b2bb132074

Also join the event's group, and the parade group, and then search groups on the word 'Bellisseria' and join all the ones that interest you.

Citizen's is non-stop chat almost 24/7 and people often gather spontaneously as a result of it.

Second there are a few spots that, if green dots start appearing, it becomes an infestation and more of them appear.

Near the lodge, fairgrounds, and the blues cafe mostly.

Also join at least the top flickr groups:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/bellisseria/

https://www.flickr.com/groups/3163720@N23/

- more groups also exist for sub-themes like adult stuff, sailing, etc...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, rasterscan said:

Flagellates myself a good fifty times for having the godammed audacity to mention Hippiestock but dont worry it'll still be rammed without you. Also Congratulations on the speed of your snipe, top marks !

To be honest the thread title was about community and the way Linden Homes introduced in to the opening post read to me as an example rather than the entirety of the context to what they were asking for.

Community can be found anywhere in SL. You need to find the right group for you and one with a community then join it and participate. When I started I was welcomed into SL via a Bloodlines community, Hippie's community has been a home for a long time, biking and sailing communities too.

As this thread was posted in the Lindens homes section of the forum it seems reasonable that the answers revolve around Bellisseria. Of course it is easy to miss in which section a post has been made when quickly reading through 'latest posts'.

As in any other aspect of life, there will be sections of people who are happy getting on with things by themselves, or in a small familiar group, and others who seek to reach out a bit further to find their sense of community.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, rasterscan said:

Flagellates myself a good fifty times for having the godammed audacity to mention Hippiestock but dont worry it'll still be rammed without you.

Bleeping hippies!!!

Always coming at folks with the hugs and flowers and stuff. 🌼

Decent people pass out the ganja and good vibes... :ph34r:☘️

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.