More picks in the profile

Deepert

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1175 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello Linden Labs 

I was wondering after all the updates we get if it was possible to update under profile the picks section

as now you are only allowed to have 10 and it would be nice if this section gets updated so it can hold more then 10 say 15? or more

it would be really  great

Deepert

9 hours ago, Deepert said:

Hello Linden Labs 

I was wondering after all the updates we get if it was possible to update under profile the picks section

as now you are only allowed to have 10 and it would be nice if this section gets updated so it can hold more then 10 say 15? or more

it would be really  great

Deepert

I'm so glad you mentioned this. I've been meaning to ask for this, too. I really feel constrained by having only the 10 picks. I can't put all my rental communities in, for example. 16 or 32 or whatever would be great!

However, I bet I can figure out why the Lindens are going slow on this.

There's a system some store owners have where if you put their store in their picks, they will either let you enter a lottery, or give you money, or give you *something*. And so perhaps they feel this is "gaming the system" although I don't think it's as bad as camping is/was. Still, it's an abuse of the original intent, which was really to be for genuine picks.

The reality of "picks" is that people tend not to use them for actual "favourite places". They use them for stories, since there isn't room on the profiles for actual stories, especially if long.

Or they make elaborate things, like their RP preferences, or their rental policies (in my case), or just their thoughts on life. So they are not really picks as such.

Long ago and far away in another galaxy, when we debated about how to keep search from being gamed, I suggested to Philip Linden that he use "picks" not merely "traffic" or searches as traffic was now inflated by paid camping (and today by bots). This was before picks were gamed as much with store raffles.

And I was confident then that I, who refused to use traffic gimmicks, might get higher in search because a lot of tenants would snap a picture and put it in picks, not so much to say "this is my favourite rentals company" but more like "my first kiss" or "home sweet home" or "my RP limits". So each time they did that, it would report my land as the place. Then you would see what people actually cared about. To be sure, this could get inflated, too, if someone merely happened to be in my little rental while they proceeded to use up 10 slots in picks to put in all their favourite poems or rare cat breeds as people can do.

This is called a "folksomy". I tried to introduce this as a device where people could leave their favourite places' landmarks and share them but of course that had the problems of needing to be updated and cleaned out from people putting scammy "business in a box" sales illegally in sandboxes etc.

I'm rather have more picks than groups at this point even though I am out of groups now and forced to keep alts going to have more groups.

Picks were always ever intended to be your favorite *location* picks. This is why there is a TELEPORT button on each of them. There IS a web tab in your profile where you can link to your wordpress, blogger, flickr, tumblr, anywhere where you have all the space you need for any rhetoric you wish.

When I look at profiles, I may peruse the picks section, but usually skip anything with lovey-dovey in it and especially anything that has to do with "RP Character) and "RP Rules".

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Lindens

Hey everyone!

When posting on the forums, please remember to keep any and all posts civil and on topic. Personal grievances with other residents are not appropriate for the forums and should either be kept to private messages or dropped. We want to avoid locking this thread, please.

• Like 1

I am fairly sure this thread was started this year and not last.  I note that all the posts appear to be 12 monthsa old, apart from Theresa's...and yet this popped up as a new thread on my feed before Theresa's warning post...this is very odd!

11 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

I am fairly sure this thread was started this year and not last.  I note that all the posts appear to be 12 monthsa old, apart from Theresa's...and yet this popped up as a new thread on my feed before Theresa's warning post...this is very odd!

The thread really did start last year and was resurrected earlier today.  Posts were there and were removed

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 6:11 PM, Aishagain said:

This is a common problem. As best I can tell the forum does it to us.

I use the link at the bottom-right-ish 'Next unread topic'. If I am not keeping the section cleaned up with occasional mark all read clicks I ca get really old threads. I suspect this happens to lots of people resurrecting old threads.

Also, those searching will often find really old threads and not notice. I find the blue panels telling me the thread is so old it is in geriatric care, don't always come up... I haven't figured out which times they do and don't.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1175 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.