Strangeness at the beach

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was at SNB just now, and some guy IM'd me, and I was instantly moved to the dance area without wanting that at all. I didn't do it, and I have to wonder who did, and how. Is there some way others can just do that to you against your will? I TP'd out of there and back home and the guy who IM'd me claimed to know nothing about it, but I have to wonder.  I really did not like that one bit!

nope

it never happened that way

I never clicked anything that would instantly transport me to the dance area, and there is no such thing there. Someone there has a means to do that to anyone they like, and that's serious griefer stuff.

Edited by AnnHerrick
  • Confused 1

I see 3 ways

- You clicked on something or sat on something

- You have RLV active and and have no full control (well, thats one of the goals of RLV :) )

- Experiences - this regions hosts one and you signed in.

In all 3 cases you kind of agreed - even if it's probably misuse - but that depends a bit on the location.

In all 3 cases you can prevent that it happens again.

I just took a look on the Marketplace to see if there are HUDs that will affect other avatars as far as pushing or pulling them and... yes, there are. While looking at one of the HUD's description, I remember being at a sim years ago (another account) where the admin of that sim used their "magic" HUD to teleport me up to their skybox. I was not wearing an RLV relay at the time nor was the viewer I was using then even equipped to handle RLV (the Second Life viewer). These "magic" HUDs do exist in all varieties so yes, it is possible the OP was moved by way of a magic HUD.

The OP did the right thing in teleporting away. If the same aggressor keeps after the OP doing the same thing then definitely an Abuse Report should be filed against the aggressive one.

15 minutes ago, DilliDallagio said:

I just took a look on the Marketplace to see if there are HUDs that will affect other avatars as far as pushing or pulling them and... yes, there are. While looking at one of the HUD's description, I remember being at a sim years ago (another account) where the admin of that sim used their "magic" HUD to teleport me up to their skybox. I was not wearing an RLV relay at the time nor was the viewer I was using then even equipped to handle RLV (the Second Life viewer). These "magic" HUDs do exist in all varieties so yes, it is possible the OP was moved by way of a magic HUD.

The OP did the right thing in teleporting away. If the same aggressor keeps after the OP doing the same thing then definitely an Abuse Report should be filed against the aggressive one.

Thank you! Thank you very much! I did not do anything at all to make or allow this to happen, I was just standing on the beach when Nick from India IM'd me saying "Hi cutie pie" and next thing I knew I was in the dance area without doing anything. That weirded me out pretty good and I just TP'd home. The IM was still open and I asked him what he had done, and of course he played dumb about it. I blocked him. I'm not new to SL, just a new avi, and I know such things can be done in SL. I was here for 6 years before this avi, and stayed away for the last three years because of stuff like this. I'm disappointed that it's still going on. If I find that guy at the beach again I'll AR him pronto.

12 minutes ago, AnnHerrick said:

I did not click on anything but his IM. I know how to answer an IM, and this is not my first time around in SL.

Then it didn't actually happen...

Or you know... you misclicked... It happens. Stuff can be set to 'sit' and it's easy to mean to click here but the mouse goes off there...

I grew up with a couple of friends that believes the FBI and the CIA and the El Salvadorian Secret Police were ALL camped outside their houses wiretapping them...

... we can go through live believing stuff like that ...

Or we can accept that every now and then a van you don't recognize parks across the street, and sometimes there's noise on the line...

And that kinda applies here too...

99 times out of 100, there's a simple innocent explanation...

If a pattern emerges... then start freaking out...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

On 11/23/2019 at 5:40 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

Then it didn't actually happen...

Or you know... you misclicked... It happens. Stuff can be set to 'sit' and it's easy to mean to click here but the mouse goes off there...

I grew up with a couple of friends that believes the FBI and the CIA and the El Salvadorian Secret Police were ALL camped outside their houses wiretapping them...

... we can go through live believing stuff like that ...

Or we can accept that every now and then a van you don't recognize parks across the street, and sometimes there's noise on the line...

And that kinda applies here too...

99 times out of 100, there's a simple innocent explanation...

If a pattern emerges... then start freaking out...

I am disappointed that there are such mean people here. I had hoped for better in my second time around in SL.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, AnnHerrick said:

I am disappointed that there are such mean people here. I had hoped for better in my second time around in SL.

Your responses were complete dismissals of all possible explanations... which gets properly rebutted with a like dismissal...

99% of the time, there is an innocent explanation to things... start with it, rather than the conspiracy oriented ones...

We all have moments when we missclick or something glitches... I've even found myself on an animation because my mouse went bad and registered a click I didn't think I made...

• Like 2

On 11/23/2019 at 3:39 PM, AnnHerrick said:

Seems like you want to make it my fault and I don't care for that one bit. I don't know how it happened but it did happen and against my will.

So you know the whole stance on “hacking” as a concept right?

Very, very rarely is anyone ever “hacked” in any sense. What happens most often is someone is tricked into giving away their account information in one way or another. Maybe they downloaded a keylogger, maybe they signed into a fake version of the website, or attached their account to a forum, got their info skimmed on public wifi, even just got social engineered into giving away details for account recovery questions.

Its a very similar sense here. Chances are you did something that allowed the game to move you. Wether you intentionality did it or not is another question. But the chances of someone just fully moving you without any input or control on your end is slim to none, that would be game breaking abuse and very big news.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AnnHerrick said:

I've had quite enough of you who tell me it never happened or I somehow agreed to it. I will not respond to any more of this garbage.

On 11/27/2019 at 5:03 PM, cheesecurd said:

Its a very similar sense here. Chances are you did something that allowed the game to move you. Wether you intentionality did it or not is another question. But the chances of someone just fully moving you without any input or control on your end is slim to none, that would be game breaking abuse and very big news

Right.

On 11/27/2019 at 4:42 PM, Pamela Galli said:

What they all have in common: the problem is completely caused by someone else, no possibility the OP contributed or could contribute to its cause or solution. 

Or it could just be good old fashion trolling. 
Which always seems to wind people up on this forum more than it should.

(I’m not saying you personally either, just that this thread is a prime example of it)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AnnHerrick said:

I've had quite enough of you who tell me it never happened or I somehow agreed to it. I will not respond to any more of this garbage.

You don't need to be so dismissive of all the plausible explanations given chances are you did click something with out realising happens to all of us. If i had L$1 for every time i did that i would be very rich

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.