Full sim impossible to afford.

Sarah36 Islay

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Over the years my members have totalled over 2000. At events the sim would get full up which only renting half a sim I wasn't being fair to my neighbours. The Landowner wasn't too pleased and I began to go in panic mode.  My only way out was to rent a whole sim - after a week with sleepless nights I couldn't afford to run a whole sim. I closed my resort, upsetting my members as I ejected them from my group to close it. I started a new group and already in a week my members are 80 - I've introduced a joining fee to slow members from joining. I just wish there was a way only allowed 50 avatars on half a sim at one time. I only wish LL would create half a sims only which would be better for clubs - only a few can afford a whole sim in the real world.  With plenty of empty land in SL, I'm sure this could be made possible and give us people on low incomes a chance to forfill our dreams in SL.

14 answers to this question

You could consider getting premium and getting some land on mainland. There are many completely empty regions (usually abandoned land), and even if it doesn't have a parcel the size that you are looking for, LL can split up such a region and even if you'd be renting only half a region (or less, depending on what you can afford or want to use) you'd still have the region to yourself, not bothering anyone else. You can often find abandoned land on mainland and abandoned land can often be set for sale by LL if it is not for sale yet. An additional advantage would be that abandoned land often goes for very cheap (sometimes a single L$) and all you would have to worry about is your weekly tier, of which the first 1024 sqm would be free.

I don't know, it's an idea. Not all land options are necessarily private regions. Give it a think, give mainland a very good look around, check out the map instead of the land sales tab in the search because not all available land shows up in that tab.

EDIT: Look at the land owner on mainland. If the owner is Governor Linden, then even if the land is not for sale, you can still file a ticket requesting to sell you the land, and they usually will do it.

Edited by Fritigern Gothly

1 hour ago, Sarah36 Islay said:

Thank you Fritigern. It seems only the way to run a club without annoying the neighbours. I will look into this.

not to disapoint you, but most mainland regions have a agent limit of 40 + 4 for the premium access for the whole region.. not just half. When you use that whole amount, you will for sure be AR'd for abuse of resources by others who have land on the same region.
When you buy part of a abandoned region, others can do the same too, so what i described above can happen at any time.

You seem to be very talented at making popular clubs.  What you need to do is make sure that your club makes enough money to pay for the land fees for the region.  Whether that's from tips, group join fees, contest entries, member dues, or a combination of things.

Out of 60+ members  only staff were tipping and donating towards the club. Was very rare for a member to tip and donate. I have made a joining fee now of L$50 to slow down my new members and their alts. My Landlady is one of the best in SL - but I like to keep my members at events down to 50 avatars. I'm just annoyed I cannot afford a full sim which would solve everything.

Couple off-the-wall ideas.

Could possibly find some Mainland at the corner of four regions so you could spread out the crowd across those sims -- but still, if you're getting more than 50 people attending group events, that could end up being a lot even for three or four regions to share.

Another possibility would be to impose a land entry fee -- kinda like a cover charge -- of L$100 or so when parcel attendance gets over, say 30. This land setting is almost never used, so I'm not even sure how it works: I think it only affects new parcel entrants, but if instead it applies to folks already on the parcel, that would be pretty nasty. And unfortunately there's no way for a script to change that setting, even though it could easily keep an up-to-date count of the number of avatars on the parcel.

Neither of these sound all that great, I realize, but I'm not really seeing a great solution given the constraints of the problem.

another way it can be done with the current capabilities, which is convulted but doable. Which I did myself once a long time ago when I had a parcel which was small and popular

we cut our parcel into two. "Entrance" parcel and "Club" parcel

we set the "Entrance" parcel to Allow Access Anyone Can Visit and set a teleport Landing Point

we set the "Club" parcel to Noone (untick both Anyone and Group). Which blocks access to everyone except for those on the access white list (banlines the Club parcel)

teleport to the "Club" parcel is blocked. A patron can't enter the "Club" unless on the whitelist

we use a script to add and remove people from the "Club" white list. The "Entrance" is like the queue found outside popular RL clubs on a Friday night

say the "Club" capacity is 20 avatars. People wait in the "Entrance" for someone in the "Club" to leave. When a person leaves the "Club" then the script (the Doorman) adds the next person waiting in the "Entrance" to the "Club" white list. And informs them that they can enter

the issue now is how to deal with a potential crowd of people waiting in the "Entrance"

a way we can keep this number down to say 5 is to send the 6th person home (the latest arrival) with an apology and a please try to come back soon message. The way I did this was when the 6th person arrived they would get a message saying that the parcel is full and if nobody else leaves within the next 3 minutes then I will have to send them (the 6th person) home

when sending people in the "Entrance" home we can prioritise. Non-group members get sent home first. Taking priority to the next level, we can also prioritise entry to the "Club". If 5 people waiting in the "Entrance" then group members wearing their group tag, get in first

some people can get a little bit miffed after teleporting to a place and then get sent home. However, when the why and what fors of this are clearly explained then most people are pretty ok when this happens to them. Which is how I found out that most people are ok when the explanation makes sense, as I used to send people home myself for this same reason

when deciding the number of avatars to allow in the "Club" we have to factor in the staff. When we have a lot of staff then we should only add them to the "Club" white list when they are on duty. Removing them from the white list when off-duty. Should a staff arrive outside of their work hours then we treat them the same as any other club patron. Get in the "Entrance" queue like everyone else

ps add: lsl functions for this are:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlAddToLandPassList
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlRemoveFromLandPassList
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlTeleportAgentHome

Edited by Mollymews

4 minutes ago, Sarah36 Islay said:

Its a pity no creator  ever made a gadget to stop more than 50 avatars entering on half a sim. They made a gadget to eject all males on a sim and half a sim, because  I bought one sometime ago. Thank you for your options which I shall try.

It would be easy to script something to eject the most recent arrivals to a parcel over a set limit such as 50, but there's simply no way to prevent too many from entering in the first place.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

It would be easy to script something to eject the most recent arrivals to a parcel over a set limit such as 50, but there's simply no way to prevent too many from entering in the first place.

adding to this

it would be quite useful if Linden did provide a parcel control to allow the parcel owner to set the number of agents that can be on their parcel at the same time

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sarah36 Islay said:

Out of 60+ members  only staff were tipping and donating towards the club. Was very rare for a member to tip and donate. I have made a joining fee now of L$50 to slow down my new members and their alts. My Landlady is one of the best in SL - but I like to keep my members at events down to 50 avatars. I'm just annoyed I cannot afford a full sim which would solve everything.

Sarah, you haven't grasped what I was saying, so I'll try saying it another way.

You CAN afford a full sim, IF you organize your club in such a way that all those members who are breaking down the doors to get in PAY YOU FOR THE PRIVILEGE.  There are numerous ways to do this.  I'm sure someone who's clever enough to attract such crowds can also figure out how to get them to pay for the club's upkeep.

• Like 1

After my post from last month - I decided to rent half a sim for my new club. With health issues I didn't want to risk renting a whole sim and risk losing my club again. With my new club with 120 members already - I have found this more comfortable to run without any worry or stress. I charge a L$50 joining fee which helps to keep the cheating alts away. The most I have at events is about 30 - leaving room for an extra 20. Using a fish bowl contest board,  a few members add money to it which saves my money. My Dj's and Hostess only work for tips- with events there is no lag and everyone seems happy and chatty. So albeit, I am  satisfied now.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.