Abuse using Alts

cunomar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Its a long story because its been going on over a year so i will simply ask if i create an alt a week so i have infinite supply of them to use whenever i feel like insulting someone several years from now , could LL find out if the names are actually the same person and if so might they take any action over it ?

I have only 6 names so far because it didn't occur to me until recently to block and therefore save the names .

Its not so much about me it just bores me but its sickening to know this toxic user manipulates all around her using the same tactics and the goal is to have people quit sl .

6 minutes ago, cunomar said:

Its a long story because its been going on over a year so i will simply ask if i create an alt a week so i have infinite supply of them to use whenever i feel like insulting someone several years from now , could LL find out if the names are actually the same person and if so might they take any action over it ?

I have only 6 names so far because it didn't occur to me until recently to block and therefore save the names .

Its not so much about me it just bores me but its sickening to know this toxic user manipulates all around her using the same tactics and the goal is to have people quit sl .

If you do, you risk getting yourself permanently banned from SL. LL can easily track accounts and will know how many you have created, especially if you use them to abuse others. Best to just AR each incident and include screenshots and pertinent info and let LL deal with it.

• Like 2

I wouldn't do it the only alt i have was made because my account got hacked and i needed to get on here for advice , LL fixed things real quick and that mrcuno i think i called it hasn't been used since .

There's nothing to AR I get slagged off in im by a complete stranger in one shot and they are gone , its not quite word for word identical each time but enough to make me think its the same person who ran me out of my home sim of over a year and i do wonder if she responsible for having me ejected and banned from places i'd been hanging around mostly silent .

How many alts need to complain before someone gets banned ? 

2 hours ago, cunomar said:

I wouldn't do it the only alt i have was made because my account got hacked and i needed to get on here for advice , LL fixed things real quick and that mrcuno i think i called it hasn't been used since .

There's nothing to AR I get slagged off in im by a complete stranger in one shot and they are gone , its not quite word for word identical each time but enough to make me think its the same person who ran me out of my home sim of over a year and i do wonder if she responsible for having me ejected and banned from places i'd been hanging around mostly silent .

You can still report the abuse each time, which will establish a pattern of behaviour and provide LL with evidence.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
Typo.
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, cunomar said:

Keep a list of the names.  Each time a new one harasses you inworld, if it sounds like the same person, AR the IM and include in the comments that you think it is another alt of the same person and list all of the names you have accumulated so far.  LL can investigate each account and there are things they can use to help them determine if it is the same person.  

Granted if the other person is really good - creates new accounts via VPN, using a different VPN location each time, then it is harder for LL to tie them together, but very few people are that careful about creating alts.

• Like 2

LL will know, or can know if they choose to look closely, whose alt is whose.  The question is, will they care enough to issue an IP or hashtag ban?  There is one griefer who, when one alt is banned, simply makes a new one and returns.  He doesn't even bother changing the name, he just increments the four digit number at its end.  He's now up to StupidSam1406.  (Not his real name, but it IS his real number.)

LL only issues really effective bans for cases of very serious Terms of Service violations.  Verbal harassment doesn't qualify.

• Like 1

I can immediately think of one particular guy who gets banned and makes a new account roughly every 3 days, and has been doing so for years.

Being entirely realistic, there is nothing practical that LL can do to stop him that would be both 100% effective and not risk inadvertently affecting others.

Permabans are the SL equivalent of that person who checks your receipt on the way out of wallyworld; They keep the honest, honest.

• Like 1

My ex husband did this to me here for two years on my original account that was created in 2009. We divorced at the end of 2015 and at that time I was pretty naive still because I didn't know how to AR anyone. I was also embarrassed to share what I was going through with anyone so kept it to myself. I ended up leaving SL for almost a year and after much thought deleted my old account. I came back with Lyrical since she was an alt my ex didn't know about since I made her in 2016.

I wouldn't advise others to handle harassment the way I did though. If this person is causing grief with alts, I would AR them and take the advise others have imparted in creating name lists, etc. Linden Lab takes griefing others very seriously and I'm so thankful for this. Now I wish I had handled my own situation differently. I hope things get resolved because no one deserves to be harassed.

• Like 2

Thank you all for taking the time to reply .

I suppose i could make a game of it , pay a cyber investigator then use whatever info gathered as means to ruin her game , and life perhaps . Though it seems a lot of effort when i would take no pleasure in doing such a thing .

I don't know its much ado about nothing to me while at the same time when gossip is telling me she trashed a once large and very popular sim with her "game" and it seems generally accepted that she's currently doing the same again at a much larger sim (one i don't visit) part of me feels i should do something .

Dumb thing is i have no idea what she has against me , i can only guess it annoys her because she decided to make me quit and failed ?

LL doesn't seem to keep particularly good/efficient track of which accounts do (or might) belong to which person. I base this on the data I was given through a GDPR request -- there was no "associated accounts" part, even though they kept complete logs of every IP I've ever had since I created my account and I have some accounts on the same email address. There are other ways they can find my other accounts, but it's all manual checking based on the previous account's info.

44 minutes ago, cunomar said:

I suppose i could make a game of it , pay a cyber investigator then use whatever info gathered as means to ruin her game , and life perhaps . Though it seems a lot of effort when i would take no pleasure in doing such a thing .

Yeah because that's a really good and totally reasonable idea...

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.