Problems layering clothes

JackieTeal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to SL, and I've just bought a new Slink body, but I find that if I try to layer clothes (e.g. a long sweater over jeans) bits of the jeans poke through the sweater.  Is there something I'm doing wrong?  If there is, please explain to me in simple terms that a noob will understand!  Thanks. :)

Hi Jackie-

If you mean mesh clothing, sometimes that will just occur.  Doesn't even matter if you're purchasing an entire outfit from one designer, it still happens and its called "clipping" and it has to do with the design of the clothing as well as the rigging (how it fits the body).  I'm sure there are other more technical answers, but that's a good one for starters. 

You'll just learn by trial, error & success and put together some great outfits!

Welcome to SL! 

EDIT- infact, I just took this picture for a different forum thread- but you can see on the left- my avi's right leg, where the white shirt "clips" into the pink coat.

The shirt & jacket are one piece- comes together- so it just happens.   However, different pieces, especially from different creators might tend to clip more often.

today.jpg

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 1

The problem is that there isn't cloth physics in SL.  Mesh clothing is "rigged", so that it will bend and move with your avatar.  It's also "phantom", which means it has no collision envelope regarding avatars or other objects.  But one piece of clothing does not recognize the existence of another, so if they interfere, one simply passes through the other.

If clothes are designed as a single piece, this isn't a problem.  If they are two separate pieces, the problem occurs a LOT.

One way to avoid this is to have one of the clothing items be a clothing layer, or an applied texture, rather than a 3D mesh object.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JackieTeal said:

Thanks both of you for your answers.  I never had any problems layering clothes with my classic avatar, so I didn't expect to have the problem with my new body!  I guess if I want to wear layers, I'll just have to wear my old body. :(

You don't have to go back to wearing your old body.

What you are referring to on the Classic body, is the system layers; things that come on the underwear, shirt and jacket layers. You can still use those if the clothing has appliers for your body (or for Omega, which is more-or-less universal). You make sure that you're wearing the appropriate relay for your body, wear and click the matching clothes applier, and it will add the clothing as a layer to your mesh body. Then, if any parts DO clip through, you use your body's alpha cuts to hide them.

If you activate Bakes on Mesh for your mesh body, you don't even need appliers for all the clothes. Just one Bakes on Mesh applier to activate it, and then you can use all your previous system-layer clothes exactly as you did before.

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 3

Yes, you should absolutely read the subforum for Bake on Mesh. It would be ideal for you to use the BoM body for Slink. It is in the same folder.You can wear your system layer jeans, a mesh sweater over, and use the sweater layer alpha. You don't need to spend a lot of money on appliers if you jump straight to BoM.

It is not sooo many new BoM items made yet, because some of the female "big brands bodies" have not updated to a BoM. They are using relays in the meantime. But Slink is full BoM.

https://slinkstyle.com/slink-redux-and-bakes-on-mesh-faq/

Edited by Marianne Little
added more info
  • Like 1

Thanks, that's really helpful - I had seen the redux body in the Slink folder, but I didn't understand what it was!  The redux one seems much easier to use than the original Slink body, and it's great that I can now use the alpha layers that come with clothes, rather than having to fiddle about with alpha cuts.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, JackieTeal said:

Thanks both of you for your answers.  I never had any problems layering clothes with my classic avatar, so I didn't expect to have the problem with my new body! 

with system you could use different sizes of mesh to try and avoid it you can't really with a mesh body it's a bit of trial and error trying finding the right items that play nicely and layer well 

• Like 1

You just nave to be really patient, willing to spend money, and sometimes use the workarounds that others have mentioned.I always wear a Maitreya Lara mesh body. I very much prefer (fit)mesh clothes to applier clothes because, with a few exceptions, they look so much better to me.  I also like to layer clothes. I am constantly on the lookout for clothes that work together. I occasionally get lucky, and I spend a lot of time finding combinations that work by trial and error.  For tightly-fitting clothes, appliers can have an acceptable appearance. I often use applier jeans, underwear, and tee shirts when I need to, but only after failing to make the outfit work with mesh  versions..

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. :)  I've been experimenting over the last couple of days, and have managed to put quite a few outfits together for my new body by following everyone's advice and layering mesh clothes over applier ones - like a mesh jacket over an applier top, or a long mesh sweater and mesh knee boots over applier jeans.  And yes, I have spent quite a lot of money on new clothes in the process! 🤯  It's been worth it though, and it's wonderful being able to wear nice shoes now - the one thing I hated about my classic avi was the horrible feet, and having to wear boots all the time to cover them up!

• Like 1

I think you have it figured out...

SL jargon can make talking about this confusing. Pre mesh, all clothes were either system clothes, i.e., skin, tat, underwear, shirt, jacket... these were all textures painted on the avatar skin as composite layers. So, there is nothing to poke through anything. The only other clothes of the time were prims. With prim skirts we had avatar legs and skin poking through. So, skirts came with 'glitch pants' made of the same material to hide poke throughs.

Mesh clothes came along. These clothes were another rigged (meaning connected to the avatar bones to move and bend with them) surface enveloping the avatar. We saw more poke through problems and used alpha layers worn on the classic avatar to hide that problem. The problem was worse because the classic avatar uses a completely different algorithm to connect its skin to the skeleton. The solution was to make mesh bodies and clothes that use the same algorithm. So, we have mesh bodies and clothes that fit specific brands of mesh body.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
missing word
  • Like 1

Whenever I go to shopping events I keep an eye out for clothes that might layer with other clothing. Recently there have been jackets and sweaters tied around the waist. I like test those demos with clothes I already have to see if it layers well. Usually when you see an outfit with layered clothes the individual parts of that outfit will work with other clothes 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.