BoM and inventory managment

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1656 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am sort of thinking out loud here but would love other people's input.

BoM is starting to cause me headaches and not in just its usage.  So first off, let's start with the base body as an outfit.  Is it better to make a copy of the body and head for a separate BoM base or do I just add all the tattoos to my regular base and just juggle the alphas as needed?  I like my inventory light and organized so making copies goes against how I normally keep it.  Also, if I want to use a different head -- even tho that only happens rarely -- I will still need to Toggle BoM off or on for that head. 

I think I'm going to leave it as one base and juggle alphas as needed.  Unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Nest, I am tempted to make a new, BoM root folder and put all the parts and layers in sub-folders but going forward, it will need to be integrated at some point.  It's not like I separated applier clothes from mesh before now.  I think I will sort it all like normal and just append BoM to the item's folder name.

Anyway, that's what I'm doing now and talking about it in my head while I write this has not given me any new options.  I'll just keep going like I am for now.
Maybe.
I'm still thinking it might be better to NOT wear a bunch of tattoos under my applier body so making a copy of the body for BoM is still an option.
Maybe.

Opinions?  Or am I just over thinking everything and I should just chill?

• Haha 1

I save all my outfits as a complete, self-contained folders and I will separate ensembles. So for example, if I have an ensemble outfit named "Jane Doe Outfit that includes a top and a bottom and shoes:

• Jane Dow Top
    • Backup (folder) <-the full outfit as I areceived it, including all options and body versions
    • Variation 1 Folder
    • Variation 2 Folder
    • [Top Alpha[
    • [Top System Clothing]
  • Jane dow Bottom
    • Variation 1 Folder
    • Variation 2 Folder
    • [Bottom Alpha]
    • [Bottom System Clothing]
  • Jane Doe Shoes

And so on. I've (more or less) learned this method by using the CTS Wardrobe and organizing everything for use with that. It really does make everything neatly confined and easy to find anything. As for the "Backup" folders: that is the full outfit as received or unboxed, then I literally copy the items I use (I only ever use copies so I have something to go back to if anything becomes lost or broken, especially HUDs).

Ironically, because CTS Wardrobe is RLV-based, my entire outfits and accessories are all managed inside my #RLV folder - which also keeps my objects, clothing and other folder more manageable as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have 3 outfit folders with the base body and no clothing.  In it, there's the head, body, shape, skin, eyes, and tattoos. That way if there's an update to the mesh body, I can simply edit that one folder to link the changes instead of going through tons of individual folders.

Then I have other folders labeled according to body base with just the clothing pieces (shirt, pants, shoes, jewelry) and no mesh body parts attached. So far it looks like this:

inventorysample.png.6e7de4de54942560f20f38d72bd0340d.png

I've stopped using non-BoM mesh and their appliers since BoM went live.  There are some favored tattoo and cosmetic appliers with no system layer equivalents, which I can't use anymore.  Such is life; I'll deal with it and find something else to wear.  I have a lot of work packing away the obsolete parts. I am not looking forwarding to KonMari-ing my inventory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't keep too many 'Outfits'.  However, I often have a separate copy of the body saved with things like alpha cuts that I don't want to have to redo each time I put that outfit on or appliers saved so I don't have to re-apply - and for specialty outfits that use a special skin, like fantasy skins or Halloween specific skins.  In thinking about BoM usage, I likely will maintain a totally separate base with the BoM version.

In my actual clothing folders, I have always had a separate folder for stuff like 'Applier Tops' vs 'Mesh Tops' and 'Applier panties' vs 'Mesh Panties', because there are most definitely times when I specifically need an applier version of something and don't want to have to go through all of my tops looking for the applier ones.  I haven't started on any BoM management yet, but will either keep such items in the Applier folders, with a BOM label on the specific folder, or possible create an additional folder to hold 'BOM Tops' or 'BOM Panties'.   And even that may change over time as I modify how I wear things and thus how I look for things.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

Up until now, I have kept a bunch of avatar folders for mesh body, many of them with fantasy skins. The folder includes a copy of the mesh body and head, usually a matching hair, any other add-ons matched to the skin like ears and, er, male bits.

Now, with BOM, I find that changing a skin is so quick and easy, there isn't really a need to make multiple copies of the head and body.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 6:50 PM, Rhonda Huntress said:

I am sort of thinking out loud here but would love other people's input.

BoM is starting to cause me headaches and not in just its usage.  So first off, let's start with the base body as an outfit.  Is it better to make a copy of the body and head for a separate BoM base or do I just add all the tattoos to my regular base and just juggle the alphas as needed?  I like my inventory light and organized so making copies goes against how I normally keep it.  Also, if I want to use a different head -- even tho that only happens rarely -- I will still need to Toggle BoM off or on for that head. 

I think I'm going to leave it as one base and juggle alphas as needed.  Unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Nest, I am tempted to make a new, BoM root folder and put all the parts and layers in sub-folders but going forward, it will need to be integrated at some point.  It's not like I separated applier clothes from mesh before now.  I think I will sort it all like normal and just append BoM to the item's folder name.

Anyway, that's what I'm doing now and talking about it in my head while I write this has not given me any new options.  I'll just keep going like I am for now.
Maybe.
I'm still thinking it might be better to NOT wear a bunch of tattoos under my applier body so making a copy of the body for BoM is still an option.
Maybe.

Opinions?  Or am I just over thinking everything and I should just chill?

Learn how to speak Japanese, its easier

On 10/17/2019 at 2:31 AM, Gregorian Chant said:

I have 3 outfit folders with the base body and no clothing.  In it, there's the head, body, shape, skin, eyes, and tattoos. That way if there's an update to the mesh body, I can simply edit that one folder to link the changes instead of going through tons of individual folders.

Then I have other folders labeled according to body base with just the clothing pieces (shirt, pants, shoes, jewelry) and no mesh body parts attached. So far it looks like this:

inventorysample.png.6e7de4de54942560f20f38d72bd0340d.png

I've stopped using non-BoM mesh and their appliers since BoM went live.  There are some favored tattoo and cosmetic appliers with no system layer equivalents, which I can't use anymore.  Such is life; I'll deal with it and find something else to wear.  I have a lot of work packing away the obsolete parts. I am not looking forwarding to KonMari-ing my inventory.

Can you recommend for male system skin that fits nice with BoM body such as gianni or geralt?

I don't tend to make outfits any more either via the LL outfit concept or other ways.  I just found everything gets out of date quickly and I almost never wanted the exact combination much more than once so they just sat there unused and didn't save me much time in the end.

My inventory tree is organised in a way that is easy to navigate and so to me "getting changed" involves all selecting the things I want to wear each time.  It doesn't take me long unless I am being indecisive.

I have started to gather classic items from redelivery and boxes in case I get curious about BoM from time to time but honestly the skin situation puts me off going much further.  However these items I have just kept with the appliers they came with.

I never switch mesh body parts either, I just change what I have on.

Even if I were to use it much, I cannot imagine BoM items would change the way I store or wear stuff really.

• Thanks 1

On 10/17/2019 at 9:53 PM, elixdude said:

Can you recommend for male system skin that fits nice with BoM body such as gianni or geralt?

I currently wear Lure with this BoM nail fix

I remember Belleza has some old skins in their group gift boxes in their store.  I haven't got around to play with them yet, but you can give them a try.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1656 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.