Using lower body textures

asmcriminal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I bought an expensive mesh avatar. The default skin is too light for the head. I right click on the avatar, the complete avatar is automatically selected(full avatar no upper or lower body section) i then go to edit to apply a darker texture. I pick the upper body texture and the upper body looks good. The lower body looks messed up(various tones of color). When I select the lower body texture it messes up the texture of the entire avatar. I think they are being stretched.

Ultimately the issue is that I can not apply both textures at the same time. How do I do that or how can I fix my problem?

fullavatar.PNG

4 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

May I ask what brand of body you are using?  Skin is usually changed either with an applier or the HUD that comes with the body.  Tinting is done on the HUD as well.

The name of it is, "THE BODY STUDIO Male Fitmesh Bento Body [Full Perms] v.2 Version [Orion] v2"

This is the one I bought
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/THE-BODY-STUDIO-Male-Fitmesh-Bento-Body-Full-Perms-v2/16066654

2 hours ago, asmcriminal said:

I bought an expensive mesh avatar. The default skin is too light for the head. I right click on the avatar, the complete avatar is automatically selected(full avatar no upper or lower body section) i then go to edit to apply a darker texture. I pick the upper body texture and the upper body looks good. The lower body looks messed up(various tones of color). When I select the lower body texture it messes up the texture of the entire avatar. I think they are being stretched.

Ultimately the issue is that I can not apply both textures at the same time. How do I do that or how can I fix my problem?

fullavatar.PNG

When you edit your body to apply the texture, click on the "Edit linked parts" button in the editor. Then select only the body parts from the waist down (the parts that look glitched in this picture.) The two halves of the body use two completely separate textures and you need to have the correct texture on the appropriate parts.

8 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

When you edit your body to apply the texture, click on the "Edit linked parts" button in the editor. Then select only the body parts from the waist down (the parts that look glitched in this picture.) The two halves of the body use two completely separate textures and you need to have the correct texture on the appropriate parts.

Okay, thanks I will try that.

8 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

I am on firestorm, I do not see the "link by parts." I just opened Second Life viewer and it keeps crashing after I load it. Thus, I can't use it right now.

Okay, I know what the problem is. When I apply the texture for the upper body. It applies the same texture to the lower body. My friend said i had a nipple on my butt. Hours later(right now) I applied the lower body texture and I see a butt crack on my pectoral.

11 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Okay, I saw a video and I see what you mean. Everything is working for the most part. The issue is that some parts are linked together. Like the butt and the top shoulders(mesh frame is seen on them)  If I apply the lower layer to the butt it looks good. But the shoulders have a butt on them too. Is there a way to separate these links? Or what can I do?

6 hours ago, asmcriminal said:

That could work. I just don't know how to go about that(changing head color).

If you don't know how to edit colour in an object, there's no wonder you don''t know how to apply a texture, because they are in the same area of the edit window.

Using Firestorm, you need to right-click the body and choose "Edit". Then select the Textures tab. Then, in the top-left corner, tick the box next to "Edit Linked Parts" and ALSO ensure that the radio buttons are on "Select Face". This is how you separate the butt from the shoulders, etc.

Now, without closing that window, go back to your body and click somewhere on the lower half of the body. 

Next, go to your inventory and select the skin texture you have chosen for your lower body. Drag that texture from your inventory over onto the Edit window into the box where the texture is displayed. If your body has alpha cuts, you may have to repeat this process for each one of those cuts, as they are considered to be separate faces.

Changing the colour is done in the box next to the texture box. Click that and it will bring up the colour-picker window. Change everything to white. If you need to go darker, you need to change the entire body (head, upper and lower) to the same tint. To do that, UNCHECK "Edit Linked Parts" and change "Select Face" back to something else,, e.g Move or Stretch. Now select your body again, and this time  when you tint it, it will tint the whole body at once, thus ensuring that the parts all match.

• Like 1

I think this body is not meant for the casual user, but for one who will make versions of it and sell. Especially if you are new to editing.

Not helpful for you, I know. My male alts use Slink, Belleza and Signature, they have had TMP and other bodies too. I never edit them this way.

I will recommend the Builders Brewery. http://www.buildersbrewery.com/index.php

It could be a good idea to start there, learn the basics as Lewis explain over. The edit window is the absolute bare bones you need to know, a total necessity for even small modifications.

11 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

If you don't know how to edit colour in an object, there's no wonder you don''t know how to apply a texture, because they are in the same area of the edit window.

Using Firestorm, you need to right-click the body and choose "Edit". Then select the Textures tab. Then, in the top-left corner, tick the box next to "Edit Linked Parts" and ALSO ensure that the radio buttons are on "Select Face". This is how you separate the butt from the shoulders, etc.

Now, without closing that window, go back to your body and click somewhere on the lower half of the body. 

Next, go to your inventory and select the skin texture you have chosen for your lower body. Drag that texture from your inventory over onto the Edit window into the box where the texture is displayed. If your body has alpha cuts, you may have to repeat this process for each one of those cuts, as they are considered to be separate faces.

Changing the colour is done in the box next to the texture box. Click that and it will bring up the colour-picker window. Change everything to white. If you need to go darker, you need to change the entire body (head, upper and lower) to the same tint. To do that, UNCHECK "Edit Linked Parts" and change "Select Face" back to something else,, e.g Move or Stretch. Now select your body again, and this time  when you tint it, it will tint the whole body at once, thus ensuring that the parts all match.

Thanks a lot. I spent over twenty hours trying to fix this. I can't thank you enough.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I think this body is not meant for the casual user, but for one who will make versions of it and sell. Especially if you are new to editing.

Not helpful for you, I know. My male alts use Slink, Belleza and Signature, they have had TMP and other bodies too. I never edit them this way.

I will recommend the Builders Brewery. http://www.buildersbrewery.com/index.php

It could be a good idea to start there, learn the basics as Lewis explain over. The edit window is the absolute bare bones you need to know, a total necessity for even small modifications.

Thanks, my issue is that... I have multiple accounts.  I needed stuff that was transferable and copyable. This avatar is that. That's the reason I picked it. But I understand it's not for your average user.  But it's finally fixed. There is some slight discoloration going from the chest to the head, but I will fix that later.

t-pose.PNG

Edited by asmcriminal
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, asmcriminal said:

Thanks, my issue is that... I have multiple accounts.  I needed stuff that was transferable and copyable. This avatar is that. That's the reason I picked it. But I understand it's not for your average user.  But it's finally fixed. There is some slight discoloration going from the chest to the head, but I will fix that later.

Ah yes, and on the bright side, you only have to learn it once, since you will use only this body. ;) I sometimes have to pause and think, how was this again? When I log in an avatar I haven't used in a while. 😄

16 hours ago, asmcriminal said:

There is some slight discoloration going from the chest to the head, but I will fix that later.

If you followed Lewis's instructions and there is still a mismatch, that means that the head texture and the body texture aren't from the same skin. You need to locate skin textures that are made by the same creator and where all three parts belong to the same overall skin.

On 10/15/2019 at 3:12 AM, Matty Luminos said:

If you followed Lewis's instructions and there is still a mismatch, that means that the head texture and the body texture aren't from the same skin. You need to locate skin textures that are made by the same creator and where all three parts belong to the same overall skin.

I know I am a little late, but I have been wondering about that. Does the skin affect the face? If not, where does the face come from? Does it come on a head, or do you have to get a face?

5 minutes ago, asmcriminal said:

I know I am a little late, but I have been wondering about that. Does the skin affect the face? If not, where does the face come from? Does it come on a head, or do you have to get a face?

Have you bought a head, or is it a default SL head with a default skin you got when you signed up?

It is a bit complicated. Can you copy and paste the information from the body notecard here. Maybe it contains information on what skins/heads this body fits best for.

Edit: is it more information than what the ad says?

Edited by Marianne Little

17 minutes ago, asmcriminal said:

A skin comprises three textures; upper body, lower body and head/face. You need all three to make a whole skin; ideally all three made by the same creator and designed to go together, to ensure seamless blending at the neck and waist.

If you have a mesh body only, but no mesh head, your face will be whatever system skin you are wearing underneath the body. To change your face, you just change the system skin; this will have no effect on your mesh body (provided that you are not using the Bakes on Mesh feature - which you clearly aren't at present).

If you have a separate mesh head, there will be a default skin supplied with it. You can either stick with that, or get an applier to change it. Or, if you have a full-perm mesh head (similar to your full-perm mesh body) you can just put a head texture on it in exactly the same way that you are putting upper and lower body textures on your mesh body.

20 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

If the mesh body can turn on BoM, things would be much more easy. I see something about it in the ad, but no details. It says it comes with "all instructions you need", but asmcriminal may not understand the instructions.

I am going to reply to all of your posts here. Yes, I do understand the instruction(I am a software engineer).  I was just wondering where the face came from. I am not trying to do anything. I bought a non mesh full avatar.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/u-clips-Jordan-male-avatar-full-permission/5158324

Then I bought the mesh body that this post is originally about. I put my mesh avatar over that non mesh full avatar.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.