Being Harassed by a Griefer

Infinatedepths

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1694 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

About 10 days ago someone showed up on our sim (a private region), broke the rules and got banned.  This person threatened to come back with "hundreds" of alts, bomb the sim and shut it down.  Since then we have been hit three times with some script bomb that throws everyone off the sim.  I ban, report, block but every few days it happens again. 

I have now had to shut down the scripts and put up an age ban on the sim (the last 2 were under 5 days old).  Is there anything else I can do?

To say this is getting annoying is kind of an understatement.

Edited by Infinatedepths
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

Thank you all for your kind words. 

I can't really lock down the sim, as we're a roleplay/new person help sim and for 14 years have been.  I'm really discouraged.  Last year I was stalked by a guy that threatened to find me in rl and physically injure me, and now this. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I've owned many regions in the past so I feel your pain.  Since you also cater to "newbies" then you do need to have the sim accessible, even to one-day-olds, I would think. So the way I would go about it is to set up specific roles for newcomers and role-players and set scripts to group-only (group invitation only; not open-join.) That way you have a chance to vet newcomers to the sim and, if they pass muster, add them to the group in an appropriate role.

Beyond that you are stuck with either scripts turns off for all or age-monitor or both.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 3

i've nothing new to add to all the other excellent advice and wishes for hugs but I'd like to add my sympathies and hopes that you get some peace soon.  in that kind of rp/new person universe it's bad enough to have to deal with friendly-fire and now you also have hostile-fire to contend with.  hopefully your reporting of the incidents will come to a good resolution for you and your region.

• Like 1

I've turned off scripts for everyone but our groups.  I am going to have to contact the vendors who have shops at our landing area and speak with each of them as well, maybe put them in the group too.  This is just such a mess to deal with.  I will never understand the mind of someone who thinks its funny to ruin other people's fun, or, as in this case to harass people just because they didn't get their way. 

• Sad 1

Set your sim up as you had it before and do nothing. When you get attacked, report and ban. Forget it ever happened. Don't even bring it up.

Focus on being able to rapidly clean up and get back to having fun. Enable trusted friends who hangout on the region to moderate and ban. Cook up a little script that keeps track of everyone on the region and messages them a SLURL if everyone vanishes at the same time.

If you get messaged, instantly mute and laugh, you be the one living rent free in their head.

Do not allow the infrequent actions of one person to impact how you and others on your regions spend your time in SL. There is no way to prevent someone from being a jerk, just make it as unrewarding as possible, once it starts to feel like a chore to them it will just stop.

Most of all remember; Attracting idiots is a sure sign that you're doing something right. Maybe rez a trophy for each one you send packing.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Set your sim up as you had it before and do nothing. When you get attacked, report and ban. Forget it ever happened. Don't even bring it up.

Focus on being able to rapidly clean up and get back to having fun. Enable trusted friends who hangout on the region to moderate and ban. Cook up a little script that keeps track of everyone on the region and messages them a SLURL if everyone vanishes at the same time.

If you get messaged, instantly mute and laugh, you be the one living rent free in their head.

Do not allow the infrequent actions of one person to impact how you and others on your regions spend your time in SL. There is no way to prevent someone from being a jerk, just make it as unrewarding as possible, once it starts to feel like a chore to them it will just stop.

Most of all remember; Attracting idiots is a sure sign that you're doing something right. Maybe rez a trophy for each one you send packing.

Yes. Also, file both an AR and a bug report in the JIRA. If there's some way to create a script bomb that throws everyone off the sim, that's a bug worth fixing. Script overload problems are getting some attention right now, according to Server User Group discussions. Since you have a full region, you can offer to test an early server release with more overload protection. Go to Server User Group, Tuesdays at noon in Denby sim, for advice.

• Like 3

On 8/20/2019 at 10:00 PM, Infinatedepths said:

I've turned off scripts for everyone but our groups.  I am going to have to contact the vendors who have shops at our landing area and speak with each of them as well, maybe put them in the group too.  This is just such a mess to deal with.  I will never understand the mind of someone who thinks its funny to ruin other people's fun, or, as in this case to harass people just because they didn't get their way. 

Yes, that's essential. Vendors have to be in your group and they also have to have ban powers. If you don't want them in a development group, put the land they are on in a separate group and put them in that group. Some have to set vendors to a group anyway or even need separate parcels to put search terms in. You need them to be 128 m to have a search/places ad, but even without that, they can do a classifieds ad with a landing by their vendors.

You could put "payment information on file," but this draws a lot of complaints. I only have one sim with this feature which I offer for those who get really, really tired of being stalked by ex-partners and griefers re-spawning. But it means they can't invite their friends without PIOF. Still, you could consider making one haven like this.

When you abuse report, get whole parties of people filing the ARs so that you get the Lindens' attention. They themselves say this and one AR in a mass doesn't get noticed.

Make public lists of those you have banned and why, so there might be some social cost. Even if they make new alts, there's still a possibility they might use the same name or a version of that or some might know them.

I have dealt with this for 15 years and I will go on dealing with it in all kinds of ways, ordinary and creative, because I think it's vital to establishing a beach-head in the Metaverse that encourages human civilization instead of anarchy.

Take turns with your friends and colleagues dealing with this as it gets tiresome, be able to log off to break the attention of griefers.

Five day old ban does not seem excessive -- you can always have a minimal info area for brand new people that has scripts and object creation turned off except for group.

Be strong -- you're in the right, and you will ultimately prevail. Don't get discouraged because you are interesting and they are not.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2019 at 7:01 AM, Infinatedepths said:

About 10 days ago someone showed up on our sim (a private region), broke the rules and got banned.  This person threatened to come back with "hundreds" of alts, bomb the sim and shut it down.  Since then we have been hit three times with some script bomb that throws everyone off the sim.  I ban, report, block but every few days it happens again. 

I have now had to shut down the scripts and put up an age ban on the sim (the last 2 were under 5 days old).  Is there anything else I can do?

To say this is getting annoying is kind of an understatement.

Report perhaps? I dont mean too state the obvious or anything...............

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1694 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.