the windlight in my mainland region is screwed up

Sylvia Wasp

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, 

For the last few weeks, the (SL default) windlight in my region (Sage) has been completely screwed up.  Other residents in the same sim tell me it's been this way for a while now, and no one seems to know what to do about it.  Based on the local chatter, presumably the Lindens all know about it and are "working on it" but it's starting to bother me because this is where my store is.  

I'm afraid that people popping in to my store (admittedly only a small number) will find it hard to see anything or perhaps just leave, as everything looks so darned UGLY.  

To be specific: 

- During daytime everything is super WHITE. 

- During nighttime the sky is also too light.

- The "stars" at night are BLACK spots instead of white spots.

- At sunrise or sunset when the light is brightest, it's like a complete white-out

- There is no colour in the sunset and sunrise, just WHITE. 

I'm using the latest Firestorm Release for Mac, but my neighbour experiences the same and she is using the latest Firestorm on Windows.  The only parts of the sim that show correctly are the parts where someone has set their parcel windlight separately (a couple of parcels).  If I set my own windlight (for my viewer not my parcel) then that works, but I generally like to have the default windlight on.  

What am I missing here?  Is it ok for a sim to be screwed up for this long?  (pictures attached)

Sylvia

daytime.png

night.png

Edited by Sylvia Wasp

9 minutes ago, Sylvia Wasp said:

Hello, 

For the last few weeks, the (SL default) windlight in my region (Sage) has been completely screwed up.  Other residents in the same sim tell me it's been this way for a while now, and no one seems to know what to do about it.  Based on the local chatter, presumably the Lindens all know about it and are "working on it" but it's starting to bother me because this is where my store is.  

I'm afraid that people popping in to my store (admittedly only a small number) will find it hard to see anything or perhaps just leave, as everything looks so darned UGLY.  

To be specific: 

- At sunrise or sunset when the light is brightest, it's like a complete white-out

I'm using the latest Firestorm Release for Mac, but my neighbour experiences the same and she is using the latest Firestorm on Windows.  The only parts of the sim that show correctly are the parts where someone has set their parcel windlight separately (a couple of parcels).  If I set my own windlight (for my viewer not my parcel) then that works, but I generally like to have the default windlight on.  

What am I missing here?  Is it ok for a sim to be screwed up for this long?  (pictures attached)

Sylvia

daytime.png

night.png

it is something to do with this, so you are not alone :)

Apparently you need to have ALM turned ON to mitigate these problems. If you pick out a Windlight that works for you from the drop-down list rather than using the  REGION DEFAULT choice you can bypass these issues which are apparently transitory.

Here is an example of using another Windlight setting with the current Firestorm viewer:

image.thumb.png.a8bd3d50f913ac0e8418018c7322585c.png

12 hours ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

it is something to do with this, so you are not alone :)

Ah, so it is a Linden screwup.  Still, when they mes things up it usually doesn't take this long to straighten them out.  And they used to provide information to affected users, but I guess those days are long gone.  

So ... sometime in the next few weeks or months either a Linden update or a Firestorm viewer update will straighten it all out?  

How encouraging! (not).  

thanks for the info, 

Sylvia.

11 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Apparently you need to have ALM turned ON to mitigate these problems. If you pick out a Windlight that works for you from the drop-down list rather than using the  REGION DEFAULT choice you can bypass these issues which are apparently transitory.

Here is an example of using another Windlight setting with the current Firestorm viewer:

image.thumb.png.a8bd3d50f913ac0e8418018c7322585c.png

Thanks Chic, 

Yes, I already use "Nam's Optimal Prim and Skin" a lot of the time (because it's the best when you're working on clothes or making things).  

It's like having makeup lights on your mirror, lol.  

But often I want to get "real" light (sunrise, sunset, etc.) so that I can see what the clothes I'm making look like in "regular" environments that the people who buy them are going to be using.  A lot of the custom windlights completely ignore the day cycle.  

I certainly hope that we still have a "Default" at the end of this process.  It makes no sense at al for every one to have their own windlight in an environment like Second Life.  It's nice for people to have the *option* of their own windlight, but if there isn't a default and there isn't a day cycle, then all kinds of problems will ensue.  

Sylvia 

So I'm having the same issue on the latest, non-pre-release default LL viewer in Blake Sea (mainland). Here's what I've found.

• Advanced Lighting Model (ALM) on/off makes no difference at all.
  • If I go to [TOP MENU]> World > Sun > [PICK A TIME OF DAY], everything is as it should be.
  • If I then go to that same menu and pick Region Default, the resulting bad lighting is dependent on but different from the time of day chosen in the previous step.

I'm assuming this is because the server-side EEP changes have been implemented, and the non-EEP viewer release doesn't know what to do with it.

--------------------

Second Life Release 6.1.0.524670 (64bit)
Release Notes

You are at 142.5, 206.7, 22.7 in Blake Sea - Turnbuckle located at sim9734.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.45.68:13007)
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Blake%20Sea%20-%20Turnbuckle/142/207/23
(global coordinates 290,190.0, 268,751.0, 22.7)
Second Life Server 19.03.07.525089
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (3392.28 MHz)
Memory: 8147 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 17134)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 960/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 23.21.13.8813
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 388.13

Window size: 1920x1017
Font Size Adjustment: 96pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 64m
Bandwidth: 10000kbit/s
LOD factor: 1.125
Render quality: 5
Advanced Lighting Model: Enabled
Texture memory: 512MB
VFS (cache) creation time: January 15 2019 17:01:07

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.4
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.64
Dullahan: 1.1.1080 / CEF: 3.3325.1750.gaabe4c4 / Chromium: 65.0.3325.146
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Packets Lost: 4,968/529,942 (0.9%)
March 24 2019 11:56:44

Edited by Soto Hax
Clarification of acronym.

20 hours ago, Soto Hax said:

So I'm having the same issue on the latest, non-pre-release default LL viewer in Blake Sea (mainland). Here's what I've found.

• Advanced Lighting Model (ALM) on/off makes no difference at all.
  • If I go to [TOP MENU]> World > Sun > [PICK A TIME OF DAY], everything is as it should be.
  • If I then go to that same menu and pick Region Default, the resulting bad lighting is dependent on but different from the time of day chosen in the previous step.

I'm assuming this is because the server-side EEP changes have been implemented, and the non-EEP viewer release doesn't know what to do with it.

--------------------

Second Life Release 6.1.0.524670 (64bit)
Release Notes

You are at 142.5, 206.7, 22.7 in Blake Sea - Turnbuckle located at sim9734.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.45.68:13007)
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Blake%20Sea%20-%20Turnbuckle/142/207/23
(global coordinates 290,190.0, 268,751.0, 22.7)
Second Life Server 19.03.07.525089
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (3392.28 MHz)
Memory: 8147 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 17134)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 960/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 23.21.13.8813
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 388.13

Window size: 1920x1017
Font Size Adjustment: 96pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 64m
Bandwidth: 10000kbit/s
LOD factor: 1.125
Render quality: 5
Advanced Lighting Model: Enabled
Texture memory: 512MB
VFS (cache) creation time: January 15 2019 17:01:07

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.4
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.64
Dullahan: 1.1.1080 / CEF: 3.3325.1750.gaabe4c4 / Chromium: 65.0.3325.146
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Packets Lost: 4,968/529,942 (0.9%)
March 24 2019 11:56:44

Interesting.  I don't use the Linden Viewer so I don't have the "pick time of day thing" but otherwise the behaviour seems identical.  

As with your example, the time of day affects my lighting when I'm using Region Default, (it's much worse when the light is brightest at sunset and sunrise for example) but it's still pretty horrible the whole time.  

I think it's absolutely APPALLING that Linden Labs has changed the windlight everywhere when the viewers (apparently) don't even support it yet.  

I think it's disgusting that they can just screw up the lighting on my plot for weeks at a time and not have to compensate or apologise for it.  

Sylvia

Edited by Sylvia Wasp

8 hours ago, Sylvia Wasp said:

Interesting.  I don't use the Linden Viewer so I don't have the "pick time of day thing" but otherwise the behaviour seems identical.

To clarify, by "time of day" I mean Sunrise, Midday, Sunset and Midnight.

Edited by Soto Hax

For me the sun has started to move from right to left instead of front to back. It's still in the right position when I select a daytime from the sun position menu in firestorm though. I Hope that's not a permanent thing. I'm kinda attached to my sunrise ocean view :D

I guess we'll have to live with some quirky weather situations while EEP is being implemented and tested….

*edit*

Now the sun is moving the right way again, but is a bit offset to one side. I kinda like how it looks opposed to having the sun from directly above...

Edited by Christhiana

• 4 months later...

I just realized my trick is the same as Soto Hax's.  Never mind!

Oh well, here it is rephrased:  Using the World menu, I change to Sunset then change to Region Default.  The WindLight then looks fine in the places I've been going lately.  If it didn't, I would try the same trick starting with a different first time of day.

The day advances normally after that even if I walk into another region.  But if I *teleport* or set to any other time of day or WindLight, I have to do the same two steps to make the region's WindLight look good again.

Edited by LibGwen

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/4/2019 at 11:29 AM, Waondering said:

I'm having the same issue. The brightness on just about everything is really off and the day/night cycles are not rendering as they used to

Very late reply, sorry - but hopefully it helps someone else; if you're using FS viewer and you deselect/untick 'Atmospheric Shaders' (not 'basic shaders', just atmospheric) in Preferences > Graphics, then it cuts that blinding brightness right out.

Of course, the next time you use ultra settings for photography, it'll select itself again and you'll have to deselect when you're finished, but at least there's more than one way around it.

On 3/23/2019 at 9:00 PM, Sylvia Wasp said:

Hello, 

To be specific: 

Sylvia

daytime.png

night.png

Yes, I have exactly the same thing wherever I go, too white, strange skies like there's going to be a tornado, etc. I wasn't sure if it was global, or because I turned "Advanced Lighting" off because if anything, that makes scenes look blurry. Then I turned "Atmospheric Shaders" off because of lag. But it seems unrelated to those settings. Sometimes it has a beautiful but eerie effect, whatever is wrong with the sky now.

48904326338_9bdef1b479_c.jpg

48888352517_16556f0882_c.jpg

48910728147_42c38ca634_c.jpg

48900076463_500508f288_c.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.