Full Perm Picture Frame

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1873 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Rez a cube. Make it the size of your picture frame more or less but THIN (best more than the thinnest it can be so that people could make the frame smaller if they want. Use the invisible texture that comes with the build menu. Attach it to your painting frame making sure it is the LAST object you click before LINKING.  The frame should then have the name "object". You can change that to whatever you want.

For a picture frame it might be nice to make the invisible prim a little larger than the frame and put a slight shadow on JUST the front texture to make a subtle shadow for the frame.  

If all of this is new to you then taking some building classes would be good. Caledon Oxbridge and Builder's Brewery both have classes still I think. 

Who said you need an invisible prim? I want to bring this up to clear up any misinformation on selling, if the creator of the frame stated this would be their preference then yes, you might want to, otherwise if it's just a friend or associate for which the frame is not associated with, then I would use your own judgement too.

You can sell the frame with your picture 'as is' too, and can rename the frame and description to indicate or note the artist (you) and other features too. Don't forget to check and see if there is a specific Terms or Use for the frame to for any information like next owner permissions you may use for the frame.

Linking a prim to someone else's creation is really silly in SL It's still the other person creations, but hey , everybody's doing it right?

You'r'e just wanting your name to show up as the creator?

Rez a prim. Select the object you want to be under your name, and then hold shift and select the prim you created. Link them together. Then edit linked objects, move the prim inside the object, then still in edit linked, set the object size boxes all to zero, then go into textures tab, and make the texture invisible. Invisible prim! And now when you look at your object it should show you as the creator.

On 3/21/2019 at 1:56 AM, Hunter Stern said:

Linking a prim to someone else's creation is really silly in SL It's still the other person creations, but hey , everybody's doing it right?

Not silly at all. It's the most efficient way of directing customer questions and requests for help to the person who can actually provide the help.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

a 1 triangle mesh greeble you uploaded yourself could however reduce LI in several cases =^.^=

as LI is important in furniture... don't use an invisble prim, use the prim/mesh plane you would use for the object's shadow anyways

Edited by Fionalein

On 3/21/2019 at 2:56 AM, Hunter Stern said:

Is it? A large number of creators buy their meshes full perm from the MP/in world, say a tree. They add mesh grass they also bought to that tree, they had a few animations to it and maybe a couple butterflies and voila, its their product.

Now it's crucial that they add that prim/mesh cube that shows them as the creator of the finished end product. If anything breaks, they are the person customers need to go to, not the grass creator, not the tree creator, not the animator and certainly not the butterfly creator!

It's basically like cooking. A cook takes all of the ingredients produced by someone else and turns them into a wonderful dish. If a customer is unhappy with said dish or has questions, they don't go to the farm the cook got the potatoes from, do they?

How is that silly at all?

Edited by Syn Anatine
  • Like 3

The only reason you might need the invisible prim is to show you as the creator, if that's the case you could always make your own picture frame out of a prim.

This picture shows how i turned a prim cube in to a pose stand picture frame. All you need to follow in the edit window Object section is the "Size (meters)" which you can resize if needed when the frame is finished and everything to the right of that from Box down
frame_001.png.9389e892e6938d4d7dbc8a5b0deb222c.png

8 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

I have pictures for sale in full perm  picture frames, in fact I have sold some, I did not do anything other than add my texture. 

The PROBLEM with that and why the full perm creators often specifically ASK folks to add a "creator prim" is that when folks see the picture frame and want to contact the creator (or who they think they bought the picture from) they write to the MESH creator (who of course cannot help then at all other than telling them to figure out who they bought it from and contact them).  If you sell things it is ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT to add that extra prim so that the item looks like it is yours. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

I have pictures for sale in full perm  picture frames, in fact I have sold some, I did not do anything other than add my texture. 

9 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

The PROBLEM with that and why the full perm creators often specifically ASK folks to add a "creator prim" is that when folks see the picture frame and want to contact the creator (or who they think they bought the picture from) they write to the MESH creator (who of course cannot help then at all other than telling them to figure out who they bought it from and contact them).  If you sell things it is ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT to add that extra prim so that the item looks like it is yours. 

Not only that but if a person comes across your picture owned by someone else and wants to purchase a copy for themselves....they'll never ever be able to find you unless they go out of their way and ask that person who they got it from..which may result in no answer or the scenario Chic mentioned above, the owner of the picture will tell them to go to the mesh creator because they'll have long forgotten who they bought it from and simply go with who is listed as a the 'creator'.

7 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

Not only that but if a person comes across your picture owned by someone else and wants to purchase a copy for themselves....they'll never ever be able to find you unless they go out of their way and ask that person who they got it from..which may result in no answer or the scenario Chic mentioned above, the owner of the picture will tell them to go to the mesh creator because they'll have long forgotten who they bought it from and simply go with who is listed as a the 'creator'.

OK  i suppose I should fix  it, though my name is in the item description, so they could figure it out,  but people are not very good at figuring things out.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

OK  i suppose I should fix  it, though my name is in the item description, so they could figure it out,  but people are not very good at figuring things out.

They're also really not good at reading.

Although to be fair, if someone asked me who made something I own, or I see something I like and right click to inspect/edit it I only ever check the creator. Up until this very moment in time and almost 12 years in SL under my belt....it never once crossed my mind that someone would put it in the description line.

So it's not a matter of not reading, or not figuring things out, its a matter of putting information into a place nobody would look for it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

So it's not a matter of not reading, or not figuring things out, its a matter of putting information into a place nobody would look for it.

Plus the creator bit in the edit window hotlinks directly to the creator's profile. Much easier than mucking about with search and trying to remember how the creator's name is spelled and hoping you got the right one. :)

Well I went back and changed them, at least the actual object to be delivered just to be sure. In the process I discovered one of them that had additional items inside that shouldn't have been there, if anyone bought that one they got a bonus.

1 hour ago, Syn Anatine said:

.it never once crossed my mind that someone would put it in the description line.

A few brands (VERY few that I have seen) have their brand in the description field. I think that is a great idea; I am just lazy :D.  

5 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

A few brands (VERY few that I have seen) have their brand in the description field. I think that is a great idea; I am just lazy :D.  

Oh, I do it too with my animations. I always put my brand in the description field however I was referring to the fact that there is *always* someone listed as a creator, and when I look for a creator I will go to the person listed as such, not glance at the description if there may or may not be useful info there.

That would explain the confusion I have felt a couple times over the years when I tried to find a product I saw in world and couldn't figure out why the creator (and yes I did check all pieces in the link set) wasn't selling that product anymore. I figured it was retired or something. Now it all makes sense!

Also strengthens my point, as those creators lost out on a sale simply by not adding that extra prim (which with mesh nowadays isn't all that bad. Anyone can make a simple mesh cube thats 0.5 Li, set it to transparent and be done with it, you don't even have to do the quiz anymore as I found out recently. Now all you have to do in order to upload mesh is to tick a checkbox....)

42 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

. Anyone can make a simple mesh cube thats 0.5 Li, set it to transparent and be done with it, you don't even have to do the quiz anymore as I found out recently. Now all you have to do in order to upload mesh is to tick a checkbox....)

Many folks that buy full perm have no interest in making a mesh prim (via Blender or whatever) and I get that. A regular PRIM works just fine.  Super easy and might get them a customer or two along the way.  A regular prim when linked to a mesh BECOMES .5. I just tested that to make sure it was really true.

In some cases a mesh prim can be pretty much FREE of land impact cost depending on the physic and how many pieces are in the linkset. It is so much fun to add a bunch of things to a big build and see that the land impact doesn't go up ---- but that's another story :D. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1873 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.