You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

That Facebook connection thingy only comes up on products where the Facebook like has been clicked so i would assume the only info collected is that a bunch of Facebook accounts have liked the product and will get similar products recommended to them like what happens when you visit certain webpages

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Teagan Tobias said:

I find this kind of strange, facebook does not like avatars.

So what kind of info is being collected?  Can facebook get our real names from LL?  And if not why bother.

But for me that would not help, I don’t have a facebook account, so then what good is it?

Facebook have admitted tracking people who don't even have an FB account. Even if you can't be linked to a real name it's possible to build up a decent marketing segmentation profile that can be sold, over time. If you don't want to be profiled it's safest to install a browser plugin like Ghostery.

58 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

That Facebook connection thingy only comes up on products where the Facebook like has been clicked so i would assume the only info collected is that a bunch of Facebook accounts have liked the product and will get similar products recommended to them like what happens when you visit certain webpages

If you analyse the network traffic, that Facebook 'like' button will phone home regardless of whether anyone has clicked the button or not. Using an anonymous browsing session I found an Omega applier that had zero likes, inspected the page, and watched the network traffic. Sure enough, there was a connection to Facebook, and looking at the app_id owner it came up as the SL marketplace. Images behind the spoiler tag.

The Omega applier, with zero likes highlighted:

fb_tracker01.png.cfcd76961b5e91e498edb7ad84615aff.png

Network traffic for images, with the Facebook 'phone home' highlighted:

fb_tracker.thumb.png.3f759e1296a102c71053f611be26e0b1.png

Search result for the owner of that Facebook app_id:

434355859.png.823ff249b682031b516d1bf12ce4f62b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Teagan Tobias said:

I find this kind of strange, facebook does not like avatars.

So what kind of info is being collected?  Can facebook get our real names from LL?  And if not why bother.

But for me that would not help, I don’t have a facebook account, so then what good is it?

It is not out of the realm of possibility that they receive RL info, I don't know    It doesn't really matter but, yet again it does. I guess it just depends on how much privacy we feel we should have and how much privacy is actually taken from us.  Where does the line ever get drawn? If you keep allowing invasive companies like Facebook to have your data; if there is no pushback, there will be no checks put in place.  Speaking of place, this isn't it to get into privacy and politics but a good example for RL is my husband and I  get really tired of junk mail, spam and robocalls and I know that they are generated off of the information that has been sold by numerous data collectors.

I also wondered what possibly could Facebook use with the information that I bought a medieval castle or a Formula 1 race car for instance.  Sell that info to who?  Who would want it? So, I also don't know what kind of info they are collecting but, they are collecting it otherwise there would not be a connection to their site.

I just promised to post the screenshot of the MP and Facebook. Everyone do what they will with it. It is an individual decision.

ps. I don't have a Facebook account

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nikilei said:

I also wondered what possibly could Facebook use with the information that I bought a medieval castle or a Formula 1 race car for instance.  Sell that info to who?  Who would want it?

Anonymised User A is interested in virtual worlds. (They were active on the Second Life Marketplace.) = Here, have an ad for VR glasses or tech stuff.

Anonymised User A expressed an interest in motoring/motorsports. (They purchased a virtual Formula 1 race car.) = Here, have an ad for gifting a racing experience, redeemable at any race track in [ $Your-IP-Based-Location ]. Or an ad for car insurance.

Anonymised User A expressed an interest in history. (They purchased a virtual medieval castle.) = Here, have an ad for discounted History Buffs R Us magazine subscription.

Etc.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Anonymised User A expressed an interest in history. (They purchased a virtual medieval castle.) = Here, have an ad for discounted History Buffs R Us magazine subscription.

Etc.

Or in my case... Anonymised user "Matty" expressed an interest in cats. Matty does not see the delivered ad for cat food because Matty has installed Adblock. xD

I use NoScript in Firefox. It disables all scripts and lets you choose to trust those you want. Here's the Facebook script on the SL marketplace that I haven't enabled. I never enable the Facebook scripts anywhere. There are some websites that cause NoScript to show a whole page of blocked scripts. 

SL Market.jpg

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.