Hi everyone, I'm new here and have a question.

MishaC25

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@MishaC25 You'll experience lots of things which are confusing, stressful, embarrassing and more. That will pass as you learn your way around and your comfort increases. I remember being utterly mortified the first time I accidentally wore a box in public. Now I do it intentionally all the time because it's a quick way to see what's inside. ?

Basically, it's one set of normal reactions being replaced by another set as you get orientated. Good luck and welcome :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MishaC25 said:

Deann3, I am unfortunately one of the idiot newbs who has bumped into people while walking. I am getting better but I still feel so awkward. Last night I accidentally walked right up to a couple laying by the beach. I quickly turned around and even though it's vr, I still felt really embarrassed.

I have been here for over 11 years now and I still bump into people.  With the lag that is sometimes experienced, especially in crowded places, it is pretty much impossible not to bump into folks occasionally.  As to the couple by the beach, well if they had truly wanted complete privacy they would have found somewhere not public.  Thus don't let it worry you when these things happen.  If appropriate to the situation, just apologize and walk away - or just walk away.

Welcome to the wacky, but wonderful world of SL

• Like 6

Mischa, at least you turned and walked away. From my experience - and i've been on SL for about 11 years now with various alts - it's the newb's who bump into you repeatedly who are the problem. And it's not just a lag issue that's causing it.

As to the language thing - I wasn't being "xenophobic". A lot of my experience with newb's continually pushing has been with people who don't speak english. Every time you say something to them, they either ignore you completely, don't understand or say something in whatever language they speak. I'm not saying i'm fluent but i know just enough german, spanish and italian to understand stuff like "Sorry",  "I don't understand" or "I have a problem" but none - and i mean none - of the newb bumpers have even had the decency to do any of that.

14 hours ago, Deann3 said:

Every time you say something to them, they either ignore you completely, don't understand or say something in whatever language they speak. I'm not saying i'm fluent but i know just enough german, spanish and italian to understand stuff like "Sorry",  "I don't understand" or "I have a problem" but none - and i mean none - of the newb bumpers have even had the decency to do any of that.

It's not going to be difficult for someone who understands the language to pretend they don't, especially if they're looking to provoke reactions and it gets some.

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2018 at 7:55 AM, MishaC25 said:

Last night I accidentally walked right up to a couple laying by the beach. I quickly turned around and even though it's vr, I still felt really embarrassed.

Not long after joining SL, I discovered the joy of falling from the sky into crowds of people. I'd open the map, fly over clusters of green dots, and stop flying.

If I'm not embarrassed by odd things I do intentionally, you shouldn't be embarrassed by odd things you do accidentally.

SL is a playground for accidents.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 9:34 PM, Deann3 said:

You will also get idiot newb's who have no idea how to control their avatar's just barging around as if they're privileged. Unfortunately, that's part of SL. Always has been to my knowledge. Of course, the newb's who do barge around cannot speak a word of english.... so complaining to them gets you nowhere. Honestly, if it happens again in the future, just tell the so-and-so off - very loud and very vehemently!!!!!

oh the noobs usually know one english phrase... hi, me s e x you?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:
3 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Not long after joining SL, I discovered the joy of falling from the sky into crowds of people.

Fallen angel, explains your devil!

In Paradise Lost, the angel Sin is born, fully armoured like Athena, from the head of Satan. She is so beautiful and sexually desirable, that Satan is driven to have sex with her, his own daughter. The result of their incestuous union is Death.

Then shining Heav'nly fair, a Goddess arm'd
Out of thy head I sprung; amazement seis'd
All th' Host of Heav'n back they recoild affraid
At first, and call'd me Sin, and for a Sign
Portentous held me; but familiar grown,
I pleas'd, and with attractive graces won
The most averse, thee chiefly, who full oft
Thy self in me thy perfect image viewing
Becam'st enamour'd, and such joy thou took'st
With me in secret, that my womb conceiv'd
A growing burden.

Sin sounds a little like Maddy, no? And Snugs is Death?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

In Paradise Lost, the angel Sin is born, fully armoured like Athena, from the head of Satan. She is so beautiful and sexually desirable, that Satan is driven to have sex with her, his own daughter. The result of their incestuous union is Death.

Then shining Heav'nly fair, a Goddess arm'd
Out of thy head I sprung; amazement seis'd
All th' Host of Heav'n back they recoild affraid
At first, and call'd me Sin, and for a Sign
Portentous held me; but familiar grown,
I pleas'd, and with attractive graces won
The most averse, thee chiefly, who full oft
Thy self in me thy perfect image viewing
Becam'st enamour'd, and such joy thou took'st
With me in secret, that my womb conceiv'd
A growing burden.

Sin sounds a little like Maddy, no? And Snugs is Death?

That's a start.  The incest is almost as over the top as "beautiful and sexually desirable". There were times I though Dad was Satan, times he thought I was, times Mom thought we both were. My womb did conceive 23 deadly octopi, all named Dave, who have been spotted around here, hopefully explaining the disappearance of certain forumites over the years. It was a virgin birth, nothing terribly out of the ordinary.

Snugs? Not death, though I sometimes make her wish for it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

That's a start.  The incest is almost as over the top as "beautiful and sexually desirable". There were times I though Dad was Satan, times he thought I was, times Mom thought we both were. My womb did conceive 23 deadly octopi, all named Dave, who have been spotted around here, hopefully explaining the disappearance of certain forumites over the years. It was a virgin birth, nothing terribly out of the ordinary.

Snugs? Not death, though I sometimes make her wish for it.

Seeing both “Sin” and “Death” in there..reminds me that one is the wages of the other. Supposebly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.