You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2035 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

YET AGAIN the thread gets locked.

Lately it seems that this generally happens when politics gets jammed into a thread about something in SL, where the political aspect (if one even exists),  is very minor compared to the political posts that end up being made in the thread.  Also the labeling and name calling that generally ensues with political discussions also leads to the locking of the thread.  

Keeping unnecessary political statements (and the discussion they generate) out of a thread will help keep it from becoming locked.

Edited by moirakathleen
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Kai Lyvingstone said:

Butbutbut.... it's true! *sob* I get treated so bad by those NASTY BIMBO HUMANS, with their FRANKENSTEIN'S MONSTER butts and boobs hanging out!

I've let it go long enough, but  I think your blackface forum picture is highly insensitive and reprehensible in these modern times.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, moirakathleen said:

Lately it seems that this generally happens when politics gets jammed into a thread about something in SL, where the political aspect (if one even exists) is very minor compared to the political posts that end up being made in the thread.  Also the labeling and name calling that generally ensues with political discussions also leads to the locking of the thread.  

Keeping unnecessary political statements (and the discussion they generate) out of a thread will help keep it from becoming locked.

Oh I agree, but since all life is political, it's hard not to. 

2 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Gosh.. is it really like that in Australia? 

The last bit about Indian attire.. You may get snickered at for going forth in full wedding regalia (unless you are actually getting married), but a normal sari or Punjabi suit? Anyone who takes issue with that is being silly. These are not sacred vestments.  ?

Back to SL.. I love collecting SL renditions of ethnic attire, esp kimono. Been collecting those for 10 years now ?

4 hours ago, Phorumities said:

America’s first black billionaire says Trump economy has been good for African Americans

That economic analysis is too short term to be valid.

Trump has been in office less than two years, the economy is not his. It's been good for white Americans too, though proportionally more so.Here's a 50 year look...

https://www.frbsf.org/economic-research/publications/economic-letter/2017/september/disappointing-facts-about-black-white-wage-gap/

I wish they'd plotted the trends as a ratio, that would make the gap trends more obvious. It does look as though whites are outpacing blacks in hourly earnings growth. So the income gap is growing over time.

If you lay a presidential administration timeline over those graphs, things improved most under Reagan, Clinton and Obama. The history of business cycles makes it unlikely Trump will match their performance (though let's hope he does). In his defense (and in contrast to his claiming of credit for current conditions), correlation is not causation.

I also wish there were wealth trends on that page, as income is only part of the equation. Expenses, for which there's also a gap, are important.

As for unemployment, it looks the black women are doing better than black men. That's not news.

It is currently too soon to give economic credit or blame where it is due. That won't stop us from doing it.

I'm reminded of the headlines at stock market open each morning, breathless proclaiming that company X's stock price has just "plunged" (1%) because of Y, only to have X's stock price "surge" to a 1% gain at the close. Nobody knows that's going on. We barely even know what happened.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
Fixed icky wording.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

Is he also one of these people that thinks the only acceptable use of Second Life is as a 3D interactive Facebook, where everyone needs to have real life pictures in their profile and voice/cam/coffee date upon request lest they get accused of being a teenage boy?

Also, can you at least wait til we hit page 5 before politicsbombing a thread? God damn

Firstly, and I'm not just targeting you, this is only one of several things I've seen here. Don't generalize him for the one thing I've told you all about him. He is one of the most opened minded people I've ever known. I've told him a great many things about me over the years that I've known him, many most would of ran from or balked at, yet he remained. You all are painting him as some ***** for one flawed way of thinking that I told you about, when that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Secondly, I politely ask you all to not bring politic's into this. with this being election season, I hear enough of this on radio apps, as well as TV youtube ads, I don't wanna hear about any sort of it here. I understand the need to do so with the topic, but please tread lightly with it...just...for the sake of our sanity...please lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, moirakathleen said:

Lately it seems that this generally happens when politics gets jammed into a thread about something in SL, where the political aspect (if one even exists),  is very minor compared to the political posts that end up being made in the thread.  Also the labeling and name calling that generally ensues with political discussions also leads to the locking of the thread.  

I'm new to threads, this only makes the second I've posted and I've just recently started coming onto these things, what do you mean about a threat getting locked? Whats that mean?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

That economic analysis is too short term to be valid.

Trump has been in office less than two years, the economy is not his. It's been good for white Americans too, though proportionally more so.Here's a 50 year look...

https://www.frbsf.org/economic-research/publications/economic-letter/2017/september/disappointing-facts-about-black-white-wage-gap/

I wish they'd plotted the trends as a ratio, that would make the gap trends more obvious. It does look as though whites are outpacing blacks in hourly earnings growth. So the income gap is growing over time.

If you lay a presidential administration timeline over those graphs, things improved most under Reagan, Clinton and Obama. The history of business cycles makes it unlikely Trump will match their performance (though let's hope he does). In his defense (and in contrast to his claiming of credit for current conditions), correlation is not causation.

I also wish there were wealth trends on that page, as income is only part of the equation. Expenses, for which there's also a gap, are important.

As for unemployment, it looks the black women are doing better than black men. That's not news.

It is currently too soon to give economic credit or blame where it is due. That won't stop us from doing it.

I'm reminded of the headlines at stock market open each morning, breathless proclaiming that company X's stock price has just "plunged" (1%) because of Y, only to have X's stock price "surge" to a 1% gain at the close. Nobody knows that's going on. We barely even know what happened.

Any actual effects are short term. Deficit will have long term effect.

5 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

Oh crap, and thats happened to this one?

No. If politics upset someone and they reported the thread, eventually a moderator would take a look. If they thought it merited locking, they (a Linden) would make one post about it, then no one else could ever. If a thread is bad enough, they could delete indivual posts or the entire thread. People may get warning notices, warning points, temporary Forum bans, or even SL bans from logging into SL

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

No. If politics upset someone and they reported the thread, eventually a moderator would take a look. If they thought it merited locking, they (a Linden) would make one post about it, then no one else could ever. If a thread is bad enough, they could delete indivual posts or the entire thread. People may get warning notices, warning points, temporary Forum bans, or even SL bans from logging into SL

Yikes, I had no idea of this, thanks for the heads up! 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

Oh crap, and thats happened to this one?

No, as Love explained.

Once you start a thread, it's largely out of your control. Unless you purposely post to cause trouble (and you in no way did that), you might be blamed for a lock, but otherwise, if you lose a thread, you just chalk it up to people being people and move on.

Don't let us scare you off!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Minx Kurosawa said:

Next thing you know people are gonna start ragging about elf avatar, werewolves, etc.

4 minutes ago, Minx Kurosawa said:
2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Start? How long have you been here, Minx?!

It's on my profile in-world on how long I've been here. ?

Well then, where have you been?!

Residents have been arguing about race, gender, species, genre, historical period... whatever you can imagine, since my first days in SL 10 years ago. It's too late to think that'll be the next thing!

;-).

52 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

Firstly, and I'm not just targeting you, this is only one of several things I've seen here. Don't generalize him for the one thing I've told you all about him. He is one of the most opened minded people I've ever known. I've told him a great many things about me over the years that I've known him, many most would of ran from or balked at, yet he remained. You all are painting him as some ***** for one flawed way of thinking that I told you about, when that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Your open minded friend's characterization of presenting as a "race" that's not your own as akin to blackface, while well intentioned, induced a backlash, as you've seen. Those of us who know the history of blackface may not realize how little the general public knows about it (or anything else, for that matter ;-). You can make errors on both sides of misunderstanding blackface, either by not seeing it when it's there, or seeing it when it's not there.

On the subject of cultural appropriation, I obtained a pretty good dose of confusion over that when I spent a month in Japan in the '80s. Everywhere I looked, the Japanese had appropriated American culture. I saw car models called "Nancy" and "Susan", and consumer products with English slogans on them, like "For Exciting Urban Professionals". The restaurant I knew from Wisconsin as Benihana's of Tokyo was, in Tokyo, branded as Benihana's of New York. In the evening, I saw trendy young adults entering nightclubs, women sporting big blonde '80s afros and earrings the size of hula hoops and men wearing single white gloves. It was fascinating to see the young Japanese so eagerly displaying the American glitz I generally tried to avoid. I never saw us as worth imitating.

Three decades later, I note with some irony that Katy Perry's wearing of a kimono sparked outrage here, while I envisioned young Tokyo socialites running out to get latex dresses so they could look like Katy.

In our enthusiasm to celebrate the people we admire, we'll now and then get things wrong. In our enthusiasm to protect those we imagine as being harmed by those wrongs, we'll get things wrong. At the end of the day, intent comes first.

ETA: My emergency backup son owns a vintage Camaro muscle car. I was told by a latina acquaintance that she finds that car name amusing, as in her family it means something akin to "little buddy".

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

That article was a very clear and simple explanation.  I first heard this term a few years ago when my daughter was telling me about a very lengthy and heated discussion on this topic in the regional moms FB group she belongs to.

In terms of SL, I think the key is to avoid stereotypes (especially obvious ones) and to be respectful in how you use items (be it clothing or furnishings or practices) that belong to a different tradition or race than your own.  

Welp, then I guess they should start shutting down Gorean sims. Half of the people in that sim play a different race from their own RL.  because it's cultural appropriation. Because it's not considered " roleplay' anymore.? 

Edited by Minx Kurosawa

6 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Well then, where have you been?!

Residents have been arguing about race, gender, species, genre, historical period... whatever you can imagine, since my first days in SL 10 years ago. It's too late to think that'll be the next thing!

;-).

Is this what's been going on , on the forums? Oh dear god....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Minx Kurosawa said:

Welp, then I guess they should start shutting down Gorean sims. Half of the people in that sim play a different race from their own RL.  because it's culture appropriation. Because it's not considered " roleplay' anymore.

Gor is fiction ffs. Very badly written science fiction.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Gor is fiction ffs. Very badly written science fiction.

Exactly.. which is why cultural appropriation doesn't belong on second life..  Second life is about being something you are not in reality. Creating something that doesn't exist in real life. The moment people bring in real life issues into second life it breaks the whole meaning of "create your own imagination" and " be what you wanna be"  People come on here to get away from the stress of real life. Not run away.. take a " break" from it sorta speak. It's no one business to know what race, gender, hair color or eye color in real life. This isn't Instagram, facebook or twitter. Now what you wanna do on other social media with other people. But don't bring that crap into second life. If a resident wants to be a Nazi soldier from ww2 in second life.. they have that right be that.

Edited by Minx Kurosawa
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Minx Kurosawa said:

Exactly.. which is why cultural appropriation doesn't belong on second life..  Second life is about being something you are not. Creating something that doesn't exist in real life. The moment people bring in real life issues into second life it breaks the whole meaning of " create  your own imagination" People come on here to get away from the stress of real life. Not run away.. take a " break" from it sorta speak.

Better ditch the human avatar then because humans do exist in real life.

My point is, be whatever you want in SL just draw the line at cultural appropriation. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2035 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.