Let’s see who shares the same taste of music

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1908 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Let’s see who shares the same music taste as me. I’m just curious. First, let me describe my music taste.

Unfortunately, I have been extremely picky with my music since I was very little. I hated pop music (I still hate it now), but my classmates and parents always chose to listen to pop music on the radio and on their phones. I was a music lover, but I did not know what the genre of the music I liked was called. They consisted of an orchestra playing music from centuries ago, which I now know that it’s called classical music.

I’ve always loved classical music hitherto. There’s a particular type of classical music that I love, which are 18th century Italian music. I adore their flowing, beautiful melodies and tunes, as they are soothing to my ears. One of the Italian composers I recommend you listen to is Giovanni Paisiello. Mon Dieu ! His compositions are beyond masterpieces just like his other Italian contemporaries! The Italians sure do knew how to make their own music, for art was still deeply appreciated during those times. Art was considered something to be a valuable masterpiece instead of useless garbage that is like modern music today. Music from different time periods are not as good as 18th century Italian music. 

I’ve always hated pop music, country music, rap music, r & b, etc — you name it! I just don’t like the way they sound. In my opinion, they just lack eloquent melodies. Plus, lyrics in many of the songs, for I don’t know the names of, have inappropriate adult-rating lyrics and stories about bad stuff no one should get involved in.

I appreciate it if you ask me questions regarding my music taste and try to introduce me to either one of your songs or a new song genre you think I might like. Make sure you post a video of the song. I’m sorry if I’ll sound rude or harsh, but I’ll take my time to listen to the entire song and cast my opinion upon each of your songs. You are welcome to ask other commentators about their music tastes and do the same. Hopefully, you finally found someone with a similar taste to yours.

I would like to know what your taste in music is like, so feel free to tell me a story all about your music taste.

Edited by EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte

Thank you for the composer suggestion.  I can't recall hearing his work but it's likely I have done so in my time. How do you regard the work of Monteverdi, or to step outside of Italy, have you heard any Thomas Tallis?

That Tallis piece formed the basis for what is a favourite of mine, Ralph Vaughan Williams' 'Fantasia on a theme of Thomas Tallis'. 

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
Forum keeps giving me a 502 error.

I'll offer up a couple more modern classical pieces that have long (we're talking 30-ish years here) been favourites of mine. First, The Window of Appearances from Philip Glass's incredible opera Akhnaten. I still get chills when the contralto (Milagro Vargas) appears, not to mention when the brass section kicks in:

Secondly, Arvo Pärt's glorious De Profundis. My old recording is from his Arbos album, but I love this version from the Theatre of Voices. Slow and impassioned, and the harmonies are just exquisite:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

That Tallis piece formed the basis for what is a favourite of mine, Ralph Vaughan Williams' 'Fantasia on a theme of Thomas Tallis'.

RVW's The Lark Ascending is the only classical piece that - when I've heard it on the radio in the past - has made me down tools at work, close my eyes, and just breathe for 15 minutes :) Luckily - until recent years - I've worked alone, so nobody has given a damn about that.

(I could list dozens of classical favourites. For all that I love my trance and my Gaga, I've been a classical buff since I was about nine years old.)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Thank you for the composer suggestion.  I can't recall hearing his work but it's likely I have done so in my time. How do you regard the work of Monteverdi, or to step outside of Italy, have you heard any Thomas Tallis?

I think I’ve heard of Monteverdi’s name. His name sounds familiar, but I don’t know where exactly I’ve heard of his name. I think Renaissance music is nice. I’ve heard of English Renaissance music, but upon hearing Italian Renaissance music, I think Italian Renaissance music sounds far more fancier, indeed.

Thomas Tallis’ song sounds like church music. I have a neutral opinion on church music. It all depends on the melody. If it’s one of those fancier melodies, I like it. If not, then I don’t enjoy it much. If it’s modern, I’ll definitely dislike it. Thomas Tallis’ song sounds simple, and has a simple melody. I’m more into the fancier melodies for some reason. It’s hard to explain, but I like it that fancier melodies sound elegant.

The third song sounds like an orchestra version of the 2nd song. I wonder if it’s been used in movies? It sounds a lot like a movie soundtrack.

My music taste would be to wide to describe. I can really enjoy most types of music. For me the sound is most important, lyrics do not influence my taste really. There are songs I listened to for many years but would hardly know the lyrics :)

Music that touches me most though, is "pure" female vocals, if that makes sense. For example singers like Sarah McLachlan, or a band I recently got into, London Grammar

18 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

RVW's The Lark Ascending is the only classical piece that - when I've heard it on the radio in the past - has made me down tools at work, close my eyes, and just breathe for 15 minutes :) Luckily - until recent years - I've worked alone, so nobody has given a damn about that.

(I could list dozens of classical favourites. For all that I love my trance and my Gaga, I've been a classical buff since I was about nine years old.)

Lady Gaga was popular among my classmates when I was in elementary school 10 years ago. I’ve heard of Henry through my classmates, but I’ve never heard of Trance. Who is Trance? When did you learn or hear about him and where?

6 minutes ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

The third song sounds like an orchestra version of the 2nd song. I wonder if it’s been used in movies? It sounds a lot like a movie soundtrack.

The Forum has been acting oddly today, throwing me onto an error page now and then, so you might not have seen my comment about the Vaughan Williams' piece. This is what I said "That Tallis piece formed the basis for what is a favourite of mine, Ralph Vaughan Williams' 'Fantasia on a theme of Thomas Tallis'".   I'm quite sure it has been used for cinematic effect, and I am prompted to look it up :)  Could you recommend a favourite piece of Paisiello?

8 minutes ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

Lady Gaga was popular among my classmates when I was in elementary school 10 years ago. I’ve heard of Henry through my classmates, but I’ve never heard of Trance. Who is Trance? When did you learn or hear about him and where?

Trance music. It's a specific genre of dance music that's typified by uplifting melodies and lyrics.

Having seen your comments in reply to Garnet about preferring fancier melodies, I suspect that you'll find my second offering to be too ponderous for your liking. Regardless of the fact that I first heard (and loved) it 30 years ago, the older I've got the more beauty I've found in its stillness. While I still appreciate the fancy stuff (listen to Maxim Vengerov's rendition of Czardas if you want 'fancy'; I've never heard a violin sound as much like a bird as it does when he wields that pernambuco) I also adore the slower, simpler pieces.

Edited by Skell Dagger

29 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

I'll offer up a couple more modern classical pieces that have long (we're talking 30-ish years here) been favourites of mine. First, The Window of Appearances from Philip Glass's incredible opera Akhnaten. I still get chills when the contralto (Milagro Vargas) appears, not to mention when the brass section kicks in:

Secondly, Arvo Pärt's glorious De Profundis. My old recording is from his Arbos album, but I love this version from the Theatre of Voices. Slow and impassioned, and the harmonies are just exquisite:

30 years ago?! Woah! Mon Dieu ! I wasn’t even born, yet!

The first song sounds like a mix of Halloween and Christmas. It does kind of sound like a church song in a small degree when the women started singing.  The bells are from Christmas while the tune kind of sounds Halloween-ish. Contemporary songs are definitely not my style. It’s still decently better than pop music. I can’t stand pop music, as it’s unbearable.

The 2nd song sounds like a medieval madrigal or medieval church song. Maybe a priest had passed away. That’s why it sounds sad. Have you heard of any shows or movies about the Tudors?

ehm... where to start, it's so many...

ok first the music i practice myself... J-P Verpeaux, Hans Andre Stamm, Denis Bedard, Paul Benoit, G. Young, George Bohm,  .. and óf cóurse... J.S Bach, C. Franck, Mendelssohn... and quite some more...

music i like to listen: classical, medieval (like Hidegard von Bingen, Gregorian etc ), John Rutter and other anglican composers ( as John Rutter no matter if it's classical or modern) Barok, Romantic ( Liszt, Wagner, Verdi, Gounod, Puccini, Elgar, and so on...)

(and for some now the shock perhaps) the Communards ( also Bronski Beat, and Jimmy Sommerville ) OMD, Queen, Bee Gees ( yes sorry!!) in general the 80's, 90's .. but also Dance, i'm after all a dutchie like van Buuren, Tiesto and other dj's, but also Adele, Lady Gaga, Kaiser Chiefs, The Killers, The Script, ...

could say... quite some styles

26 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

The Forum has been acting oddly today, throwing me onto an error page now and then, so you might not have seen my comment about the Vaughan Williams' piece. This is what I said "That Tallis piece formed the basis for what is a favourite of mine, Ralph Vaughan Williams' 'Fantasia on a theme of Thomas Tallis'".   I'm quite sure it has been used for cinematic effect, and I am prompted to look it up :)  Could you recommend a favourite piece of Paisiello?

I didn’t know that the forums have been acting up. Maybe it’s your internet connection—or has it been acting up on everyone like that recently? I haven’t encountered a problem like that, yet.

I think you wrote about Tallis forming the bases for your favorite song. Didn’t you include it when you posted all 3 of the videos?

It’s a hard choice. I think you should choose any song because they all sound splendid. I’m not sure if you have enough time to listen to the entire video below.

Here’s a video that shows one song.

Forgot shorter video.

17 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Trance music. It's a specific genre of dance music that's typified by uplifting melodies and lyrics.

Having seen your comments in reply to Garnet about preferring fancier melodies, I suspect that you'll find my second offering to be too ponderous for your liking. Regardless of the fact that I first heard (and loved) it 30 years ago, the older I've got the more beauty I've found in its stillness. While I still appreciate the fancy stuff (listen to Maxim Vengerov's rendition of Czardas if you want 'fancy'; I've never heard a violin sound as much like a bird as it does when he wields that pernambuco) I also adore the slower, simpler pieces.

Ah, I see. Your 2nd offering? Is it “De Profundis” by Arvo Pärt? I’ve commented about that one a while ago, I think.

2 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

oh nearly forgot.... h-u-g-e fan of Phillipe Jaroussky!

and ...Satie

Philippe Jaroussky? I’ve never heard of him, but that video is showing me George Frederic Handel’s song instead.

I’ve heard of Erik Satie, for he’s one of the popular results that popped up when you search up classical music composers. His songs are rather abstract. I never showed a preference for abstract music when I was very young. I showed a strong preference for fancier music.

10 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

That's my favourite era in history. I have a ridiculous number of books about it :)

The Renaissance were one of the greatest times because they incorporated lots of Ancient Roman and Ancient Greek stuff! A nice thing is that their revival of those times is that Roman styles wouldn’t be lost forever.

What are your other favorite eras of history? What do you like about each era?

1 minute ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

Philippe Jaroussky? I’ve never heard of him, but that video is showing me George Frederic Handel’s song instead..

Jaroussky is a wellknown counter tenor, mostly in Barok, but also in cooperation with, eg, L;  Arpegiatta ( Christina Pluhar)

11 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

Jaroussky is a wellknown counter tenor, mostly in Barok, but also in cooperation with, eg, L;  Arpegiatta ( Christina Pluhar)

A Baroque counter tenor? I’ve never learned about opera singers and musicians. I don’t know why people don’t teach their children about musicians in classical music.

1 minute ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

A Baroque counter tenor?

in the old times it was not very common for women to sing the high notations like we see as sopranos now... most were done by natural high male voices, counter tenors, or ehm.. guys who got some help by removing some parts.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castrato

3 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

in the old times it was not very common for women to sing the high notations like we see as sopranos now... most were done by natural high male voices, counter tenors, or ehm.. guys who got some help by removing some parts.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castrato

Yes, I know what some of those males are. They are (Italian, plural) castrati.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1908 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.