Let’s see who shares the same taste of music

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1906 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Orwar said:

It needs a comeback! 

It'll have to go away before it can come back. :P

I was hired as a judge at a gammeldans contest only two years ago and it seemed to be alive and well. I don't think much has changed since then.

4 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

It'll have to go away before it can come back. :P

I was hired as a judge at a gammeldans contest only two years ago and it seemed to be alive and well. I don't think much has changed since then.

Oh well, I must be hanging out at the wrong venues. 

I generally like some of most genres of music.  There are genres that I haven't liked at times, but as time as gone by and I have had opportunities to hear a wider range of a genre, I have found that there is usually something that I have liked.   (For example, at the time punk music first came out, I didn't like it at all, but when one of my daughters started to listening to it, including - at that time - the older punk music - I found that I like a lot of it).    My point being that whole genres shouldn't be dismissed off hand forever. 

I hope that the OP has been playing the links that have been included above and has been playing the links in the "What are you listening to" thread.  Between the two posts there has been a wide variety of different types of music being shared, and it is always good to listen to music of a type that one is not immediately not familiar with. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Well, at least I've got this:

Lovely! I didn't know the Canadians were into it too. ^_^

Gammeldans still lives on in it's child, black metal btw. Yes, I know, I know. But this is in Norway and when it comes to music, we're weird.

Maybe I should step back a bit from this thread before I get started on Kaizer's Orchestra - especially since Nostoll reminded us that not all music has its roots in Europe and North America.

5 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

There are genres that I haven't liked at times, but as time as gone by and I have had opportunities to hear a wider range of a genre, I have found that there is usually something that I have liked.

But there is common a point in all my posts here. I started with a group of jazz and rock musicians who used to be very popular playing pop music based on classical works (a late 18th C. but medieval inspired chant by Philip Hayes in this particular case). Then there was a formalized example of a music style who falls right in the middle between classical and traditional music. And now, it's the not-at-all-mising link between that style and black metal.

Music lovers are often very style focused and their musical preferences can often be an important part of how they identify themselves. I think that is a very important function of music. Music is unique in that it is deeply personal and very social at the same time. If two people have the same musical preferences, they have a very strong foundation to build a closer relationship on.

This is even more important to a musician. But to a musician the "style" is music as a whole. We all have our preferences and there is no way anybody can master every style of music in the world, but those different styles are still never as important as the big picture. The result is that we get all kinds of collaborations between musicians other people would swear have nothing whatsoever in common and we get all those weird and wonderful cross pollinations that drive the evolution onwards.

One more anecdote, it says a lot. Keith Richards was once asked what was the greatest musical experience in his life. The answer was when he was a little boy singing in a boy's choir and they got to perform for the Queen. Slightly different from the music he is known for. ;)

Anyway, let's see who shares this taste of music...

Folque was a early 1970s Norwegian folk rock band, playing a combination fo traditional Norwegian (and some British) folk music, gammeldans, bluegrass and rock'n roll. Most Norwegian black emtal musicians I know of list them - and this tune in particular - as one of their major influences. Hope you enjoy!

On 10/11/2018 at 9:10 AM, ChinRey said:

If you really want to split hairs, Williams is romantic music, not classic. :P

Or maybe not. The term classical or "classic" music changes all the time. A century ago nobody would call an opera "classic" - that was pop music. In the two strictest definitions classical music is either European church music or music written in an elegant "galant" style during the 18th century or so (give or take a decade or five). In it's widest definition, well...

This reminds me of when ICTM (International Council for Traditional Music) tried to clarify exactly what traditional music is. The definition they ended up publishing was brillianty clear and concise and left no doubt whatsoever what was traditonal music and what wasn't. Unfortunately they had to change it because they couldn't find any music that fit.

(I don't really want to tell too much about my Real Life here but I've mentioned most of it before and since this is a thread about music, I probably should say a bit about my background:

I grew up with gammeldans music. (for the Irish: gammeldans is the Scandinavian equivalent to ceilidh. For everybody else: it's a mixture of 19th C. continental salon music and traditional Scandinavian music, in many ares - including where I come from - with a healthy doze of swing rhythm and phrasing (and no, swing is not jazz).) I'm classically trained, starting with piano lessons at the age of five, going on to a conservatory degree specializing in 16th century music. In a rare moment of intelligence I decided to get formal teaching credentials too so most of my adult life I've been able to make a decent living as a musician/music teacher without having to handle all the stress of touring and such. These days I mostly do folk music and blues and my experience with Tudor music has helped me a lot there since those styles are closely related.)

I love the elegant "galant" style.

On 10/1/2018 at 1:22 PM, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

Unfortunately, I have been extremely picky with my music since I was very little.

I would like to know what your taste in music is like, so feel free to tell me a story all about your music taste.

metal, folk, blues, adult rock, classic rock, grunge, techno, country, funk, ambient, house music, soul, indie rock, progressive rock, trance, industrial, Acoustic, crickets, birds, stream music, fairy music.......  I am not deeply into classical music really. But I agree pop music is not one of my top go tos.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1906 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.