What will happen if I delete all the sl's cache from my computer ?

masterinsoftware

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2075 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

8 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:
31 minutes ago, masterinsoftware said:

what'll happen ?

your cache will be empty

And it will simply repopulate.  The inventory cache can take a while, if you have a lot of items.  If so, it is recommended to go to a quite sim - underwater or something - and do random searches in inventory to help force it to load faster.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

And it will simply repopulate.  The inventory cache can take a while, if you have a lot of items.

In the meantime, if you emptied the image cache, your graphics card has no local copies of cached images to draw on, and everything will appear gray.   If you emptied the inventory cache and try to access anything in your inventory, nothing will happen because your viewer doesn't have cached assets.  You'll have to wait until inventory is downloaded again from the SL servers.  The time that it takes to send data and rebuild caches is time that the servers could be using for other high-priority tasks, so the region will lag a bit.  Other people will feel some of that lag.

The bottom line is that a cache is your friend.  It's there for a reason.  It places copies of things that you use frequently in a handy local spot so that your viewer doesn't need to keep downloading fresh copies every single time you need them.  You should use options in Preferences and elsewhere to make caches are large as you can, and then leave them undisturbed unless you have a very good reason to believe that they are corrupted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

a bad connection can even lead to mistakes upon repopulating, believe me I was so annoyed by it I coppied my backed up cache into an updated installation to avoid the repopulation bugs... (yeah I know we should not do so :SwingingFriends:)

Edited by Fionalein

The Cache... The viewer's cache is made of several parts. There is the object cache, texture cache, sound cache, inventory cache... Some viewers allow you to delete parts of the cache.

When one says 'delete the cache' we think they mean the aggregate set of caches. What happens is at the next login the inventory cache immediately downloads. This is more of a list than a cache. What you see in the Inventory Panel is the list in a formatted form. This is a text list. So, it is not a huge file and it downloads a folder at a time. So, you next login can be a little slower.

The sound, object and texture caches download on an 'as needed' basis. When an object enters your field of view all the needed parts are downloaded, cached, and rendered. Emptying these big caches can slow scene render significantly. The max cache size is 10GB. IF you had your cache set that large, you'll have slow renders until all the 10GB you need is reloaded.

It isn't as bad as it may sound. The cache doesn't work all that well. If you watch the Viewer Stats and the Texture Console you can often see a 100% hit rate and textures downloading. Not supposed to work that way. 100% hit rate on the cache says you have everything you need. So, what is there to download?

So, clearing the cache isn't going to break your viewer. It will recover. But, it will degrade performance of your viewer and the SL servers. Clearing the cache is a last resort troubleshooting step.

If you have a weak connection to SL, which isn't the same as a connection to the Internet, you'll have more problems after the cache clear.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
clarify
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, masterinsoftware said:

thanks 4 this useful reply

BUT

Will my outfits and apparels be deleted from my avatar , after clearing the cache ?

No, absolutely not.  The inventory cache on your computer is just a local file to make your inventory load faster.  The real inventory is kept on Linden Lab's servers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2075 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.