Lost between the Floors of My Linden Home

LisaWorthyWoman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I was adjusting the position of a rug on the second floor of my Linden home. I had accidentally made it however about a foot off of the floor, and was trying to put it back in the appropriate place. Unfortunately, I let go of the controls. Now I can't see it to move it all! I went to the first floor and looked up, hoping that it might be peeking through the ceiling. It was not.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

21 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, LisaWorthyWoman said:

I was adjusting the position of a rug on the second floor of my Linden home. I had accidentally made it however about a foot off of the floor, and was trying to put it back in the appropriate place. Unfortunately, I let go of the controls. Now I can't see it to move it all! I went to the first floor and looked up, hoping that it might be peeking through the ceiling. It was not.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I use area search when I have lost something.  if it appears in the list you can right click the name,  edit and move it or return it to your lost and found

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rugs are a little nasty to find, because they are thin and usually transparent from the bottom.  Still, you can find it fairly easily.  

Open the BUILD >>> Options menu and check Select Only My Objects and Select By Surrounding.  Then open your editor (CTRL + 3) and use your mouse to draw a rectangle around the area where you think the rug probably is.  You should be able to see its highlighted outline, even if you can see it, because it's in the floor.  Then just use the editor's colored arrows to lift it.

Just remember to UNcheck Select Only My Objects or you will wonder later why you can't pick up a friend's things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rolig's made a great suggestion, and there are also other ways to find missing or embedded objects.

If you are precise with your camera, you can use ALT+Left mouse button and move your mouse to swing your camera INSIDE your floor.  You can find objects embedded in your avatar in this way, too.

There is a setting, in the Build menu I think, to "Hide Selected".  If you enable that, then right click your floor, it'll disappear.  If that exposes the hidden rug, you can then right click it.  It will disappear too, but it'll still be selected and you can edit its position.

If you use the Firestorm viewer, you can use its "Derender" option in the context menu to make your floor disappear.  If you select the "Temporary" option, it will become visible again when you next re-log, or when you leave the region and return.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If your hand twitched at just the wrong moment, maybe the rug has run off to the Graveyard of Lost Prims.  Check coordinates 0,0,0 in your region.  You'll probably need to use some of the tricks we discussed to look under the ground, or use Advanced/Rendering Types and un-check "ground" to see buried items.

• Like 2

As Rolig says, you'll most likely have to look under the ground.  You can use your cam-fu to do this, (http://acrossthegridwithlindal.blogspot.com/2012/06/camming.html) or you can go to the Advanced menu (CTRL+ALT+D, if it isn't already on your top menu bar.)  Look for Advanced/Rendering Types and UN check "ground patch."

Edited by Lindal Kidd

Huh?  Voice doesn't have a thing to do with finding objects or moving yourself or your camera...except for muttering imprecations when things go wrong.  The Firestorm viewer and the LL viewer work exactly the same in these areas, except that Firestorm has a "de-render" feature in it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LisaWorthyWoman said:

I'm going to have to figure out another way to do this-I use voice and firestorm viewer to go anywhere.

Looking for the missing rug at <0,0,0>  was a bit of a long shot.  Items are sent there when the servers have absolutely no idea what else to do with them.  I have indeed found lost items there, but only because they were sent because of a scripting error that sent them to a nonexistent location.   In general, if a "lost" item was not returned to its owner and cannot be found after a diligent search, using the techniques that we described in this thread, it's probably gone forever.  The sole (common) exception is that a no-copy item may disappear temporarily if there are server issues, but will most likely reappear within a day or so when the server issue is resolved.  If you have exhausted all options, you may submit a support case and ask for Linden Lab's help, but this is another long shot unless the "lost" item was in your own inventory all along.  Linden Lab will almost never roll back a region to a previous state as a remedy for recovering a lost item.

Edited by Rolig Loon

14 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Looking for the missing rug at <0,0,0>  was a bit of a long shot.

In my early days here, <0,0,0> was one of the most amusing places on the sim. More than once, I lost a fireplace which would end up 20m under water (as you've noted elsewhere). Ultimately, I put a chair on the ocean floor in that corner so I could relax and enjoy the serendipity that comes from mixing me and SL.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Voice doesn't have a thing to do with finding objects or moving yourself or your camera.

xD Let me explain. I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking to move my mouse and use the keyboard. It's kind of clunky in Second Life, but it works. Using the camera with voice recognition seems to me to be sheer misery. So far, I've always had to shut down the viewer to get out of camera mode.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LisaWorthyWoman said:

xD Let me explain. I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking to move my mouse and use the keyboard. It's kind of clunky in Second Life, but it works. Using the camera with voice recognition seems to me to be sheer misery. So far, I've always had to shut down the viewer to get out of camera mode.

Ouch.  I can understand why it might be difficult to use most of the methods we have described here, then.   

• Like 1

If the rug is scripted in any way, colour change or reclining poses, any kind of scripting at all...

"About Land" on the Build Menu, top of the screen.

Then on the first tab of the About Land popup, "Script Info", let the list of scripted items load up, sort by owner name, find your block of objects, locate the rug, click the "highlight" button  in the corner of the popup and a map beacon will be created showing you EXACTLY where the item is, and allowing you to use the map (crtl-M) to teleport there if its suitably far away.

Alternatively, you could risk hitting the "Return" button to return the item to lost and found (i'd be loath to try that with a no copy item myself though).

Might not help you but it's a good trick to know generally for finding lost scripted items.

If you remember its name, try Area Search. I'm pretty sure Firestorm has it but it's been so long I'm not sure which menu it's in. A friend suggested I try Pathfinding as a more robust version of Area Search and it worked on our sim.

For both Area Search and Pathfinding, it's just a matter of putting part of the name in the first box and letting it work its magic.

The number of answers should give you an idea how common this is.... :) All it takes is one mistyped number in Position, or a misplaced decimal point and zooom, off it goes. Highlight Transparent can help sometimes too, if it has a texture with transparency in it. Highlight Transparent will make it glow big and red.

6 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

The number of answers should give you an idea how common this is...

There is even a Group for it, called "Prim Flingers Anonymous", gets you the tag "I Fling Prims"...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.