A modest Proposal

sirhc DeSantis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2206 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Given that :

That these forums are run by a Company that owns Second Life (the Product)

That these forums represent views or opinions regarding said Company and Product

That those involved are Customers or Owner

That the Company allows comment

A Proposal :

a) That the Company allows creation or response within these forums to those currently logged in to the Company product *

b) That the Product rules apply across to these forums and are posted clearly

c) That a certain allowance be made for technical questions

With apologies to Swift

*a) obviously modified by c) for those having trouble logging in. And I gave up on the plural form of forum :)

• Confused 2

Are you suggesting that posting in the forums only be allowed while simultaneously logged in-world? Most of my forum posting is done from my phone, for which there is neither a viewer, nor sufficient bandwidth for a connection. Even at my computer, splitting my attention between two venues would be a non-starter.

If you really do want to use in-world activity as a prerequisite for forum participation, it would make more sense to use a slightly different gating mechanism, like allowing access to the forum only if you've logged in recently. Even that seems a bit heavy handed. For years, I spent the vast majority of my SL related time in the forums, answering questions. Had I been required to step in-world every day for that privilege, I'd have left years ago.

Nevertheless, I've long wondered why LL supports a forum at all, given the tiny population that haunts it. That said, I thank LL for providing this space, where I've surprisingly grown to like some of you.

;-).

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

a) That the Company allows creation or response within these forums to those currently logged in to the Company product *

Show me one popular company that falls into the same segment as SL who does this.

Hell, show me *any* company that isn't too obscure who does this.

Edited by Syn Anatine
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

?? Only allowed to post when logged inworld?  Most of my posting is usually during the day from work.  Most of my inworld time is spent doing stuff there and only occasionally checking the forums.

Definitely not something that I would support and I doubt that you'd get very many at all to agree with that idea.

4 hours ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve by requiring people log into world, afk, minimise the viewer, and start up a web browser to post.

Notwithstanding that some people run on potatoes that wont have the RAM to do this, is there some hidden goal I am failing to see?

b) That the Product rules apply across to these forums and are posted clearly

SL allows adult content, Sansar doesn't. These forums mostly need to be G rated too. The same rules can't apply.

As for the rules they are posted very clearly. They can be summed up pretty easily too. The Wil Weaton way "Don't be a dick" or the Bill & Ted way "Be awesome to one another" plus of course, posting in a grandma suitable manner (My gran was a rocker and swore like a sailor, so umm, that doesn't count to her).

c) That a certain allowance be made for technical questions

Dumb ones allowed? In reality there are no stupid questions!

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2206 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.