Manky hands help pls!

Liaa Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi guys,

So, while these aren't the best photos, I hope you can see the problem I have with my hands

It looks like the fingers have been chopped off, and reattached out of line (Maitreya hands)

My Belleza & Slink look fine, so I don't think it's my viewer or settings, but I can't think what it is?

The only other thing, is with the Slink, they looked the same until they rezzed in, but these seem to have done that & still look bad?

Any ideas please?

bcceec8b4bcd101b7ff0216c153818c2.png

be81cfd277c8f8f0d222d1878f9f02f4.png

Did you use any bad animations (translation ones instead of rotation for the techies). Those can leave your hands in a deformed way, try undeform if undeform helps some previous animation (could be even an inbuildt one in one of the hands) deformed you.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Did you use any bad animations (translation ones instead of rotation for the techies). Those can leave your hands in a deformed way, try undeform if undeform helps some previous animation (could be even an inbuildt one in one of the hands) deformed you.

Oh that worked, thanks so much! I think I only use my AO but who knows with me! ty

My first encounter with this was bad furniture. Ever since then, "mocap" label reads "buyers beware" to me =^.^=. 

Short techie explanation (Animators please correct me if wrong): With the advent of bento animators now are allowed to upload animations that move (translate) bones instead of rotate them around the neighbour joint. The raw mocap is just positions. It must be processed into rotation animations. If it isn't the resulting animations will distort you into the proportions and size of the original avatar it was recorded for...)

Edited by Fionalein
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Liana Wildmist said:

Oh that worked, thanks so much! I think I only use my AO but who knows with me! ty

Oh you have several animation sources: inbuildts in the hand, hand positioners (in body HUD or seperate), bento furniture, bento items with hold animation, bento animated gestures all those can animate your avatar's hand...

Ok, it's happened again, but nothing suggested is working this time . . not sure if it's just SL. I guess I could use Slink but they don't fit my avi as well as Maitreya's (no idea why not, they are on the setting Belleza ask to be used & altering shape hasn't helped)

Maybe it's just my old pc? Not sure how others see them as I haven't seen anyone to ask (Vin, log yourself in lol)

6 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Another quick thing you can do if anything like this happens again is to right-click your avatar and select Appearance > Reset Skeleton.

Thanks! Had just tried this as someone in a group suggested it, the hands kind've splayed out & went back to being deformed, maybe its just me seeing them badly

54 minutes ago, Liana Wildmist said:

Thanks! Had just tried this as someone in a group suggested it, the hands kind've splayed out & went back to being deformed, maybe its just me seeing them badly

Since we see it in the photo, it isn't just you.

Your hands and animations generally have to match. A Belleza animation on a Slink hand may work or not so well. 

Since Reset Skeleton and Animation correct the hand to default and then returns to the displaced fingers, the animation is the likely problem. During Bento development, we shorted through these displacement issues. They tend to be sticky. Once something is deformed it can be tricky to clear to clear the setting. It isn't broke, just tricky to clear. 

Poorly made or mismatched animations can create this type of problem. I suppose a poorly made hand could too. But, Maitreya is NOT in the poorly made category. 

Find someone with the same hands and animations and look at theirs. Also, have others look at your fingers and tell you what they see.

Also, if a viewer has issues starting, local, network, or SL region, you can see various kinds of deformities. A relog into a different region generally fixes startup issues. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Try pulling a new pair of the Maitreya hands from the original box and see if they deform.

Yep, they do, even with a redelivered copy. I will ask a friend to check when one comes online

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Since we see it in the photo, it isn't just you.

Your hands and animations generally have to match. A Belleza animation on a Slink hand may work or not so well. 

Properly made animations from any source should work on any hand.

I use slink female animations on a belleza male - and they work just fine.

I also use a bento AO (Body Language) and it works just fine.

I'm inclined to believe she has one bad animation n there somewhere and everytime it loads in it messes things up. Just have to find out what animation exactly it is... and get rid of it.

I doubt this could be it... but are your hands too small? Your hands should be as long as:

Next comes hand size. One of the major ‘lol’ issues with SL men is tiny hands… How can you tell a noob shape or noob shape maker – look at the hands first. In my screenshots I’m taking off my furry paws for a moment here so you can see this how most of you will deal with it:
Hand Size
You will want your hand from the base of your palm to the tips of your fingers to be the same size as the distance between your chin and midway between your brows and ‘hairline’. I’m guessing my hairline on this one. Again men have slightly thicker hands and women slightly daintier – but use extreme care in deviating here: the hand size slider doesn’t adjust for thick / width / muscle, just size all around. A little bit goes a long way.

https://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/getting-good-body-proportions-in-second-life/

They look a little small in the picture. I know plenty of other body parts that animate or move can deform if the proportions are too far from 'normal' on several brands of body. But I doubt this is your issue or you'd see it on multiple animations.

The screenshot has your fingers not only shunted off to the side a little, but also shortened - and that suggests more that you have a deformer issue going on somewhere. Which is exactly what I'd expect from a bad animation as described earlier in the thread.

(note that my own screenshot above is YEARS old... and reflects a system hand. The measurement advice is correct... but that screenshot I am using is bad... makes me realize I need to update that blog of mine for a modern looking SL...)

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

Do you use Maitreya HUD's hand animations or some other animations for the hands?
I always keep Maitreya HUD's "Cycle natural hand poses" on and I've never seen any issues with the hands.

Maitreya-HUD_Hand-poses.png.6afef786d0313645de765eb9176f32ad.png

I use the Vista Esther Bento AO

12 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Properly made animations from any source should work on any hand.

I use slink female animations on a belleza male - and they work just fine.

I also use a bento AO (Body Language) and it works just fine.

I'm inclined to believe she has one bad animation n there somewhere and everytime it loads in it messes things up. Just have to find out what animation exactly it is... and get rid of it.

I doubt this could be it... but are your hands too small? Your hands should be as long as:

https://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/getting-good-body-proportions-in-second-life/

They look a little small in the picture. I know plenty of other body parts that animate or move can deform if the proportions are too far from 'normal' on several brands of body. But I doubt this is your issue or you'd see it on multiple animations.

The screenshot has your fingers not only shunted off to the side a little, but also shortened - and that suggests more that you have a deformer issue going on somewhere. Which is exactly what I'd expect from a bad animation as described earlier in the thread.

(note that my own screenshot above is YEARS old... and reflects a system hand. The measurement advice is correct... but that screenshot I am using is bad... makes me realize I need to update that blog of mine for a modern looking SL...)

They may well be, I will make them bigger and see!

Ok, it's something with the Belleza body update, they work fine on Maitreya body & used to on Belleza, Maitreya's CSR said either reset skeleton (done as Skell suggested) or that it's Belleza, so I tried them with the Maitreya body & it's fine. So, I guess update & break something else lol

Thanks everyone for all the help x

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Am I understanding this rightly or wrongly?

Your first post said this was with Maitreya hands, but your last post says the issue is with Belleza and Maitreya is fine. and I see you're using a Vista AO.
- All that said, none of that should matter. It should work for any combination there...

Is this now just happening when you go full 100% belleza? - in which case I'm curious to know your exact setup, animations, and so on. I want to see if I can replicate it. If I can... I'm going to have to poke somebody on the Belleza team about it.

(I'm brainstorming an in-depth review of the update also, so any problems are something I'd like to cover - and since it's the only body I am willing to use outside of 'oddball testing' - if there's a problem I'm highly motivated to hassle them to fix it... :D ).

I have long used animations from one source on bodies, heads, and so on of other sources. Usually without issue.

Places I have seen issue have all been with 'new attachments' that didn't exist in the system body. Tails, wings, tongues (a number of lick lipping animations will poke through the mouth one 'this head' if made for 'that head').

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Is this now just happening when you go full 100% belleza? - in which case I'm curious to know your exact setup, animations, and so on. I want to see if I can replicate it. If I can... I'm going to have to poke somebody on the Belleza team about it.

I would not be surprised at all, after all they didn't have much time to roll out bento hands ;)

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Am I understanding this rightly or wrongly?

Your first post said this was with Maitreya hands, but your last post says the issue is with Belleza and Maitreya is fine. and I see you're using a Vista AO.
- All that said, none of that should matter. It should work for any combination there...

(I'm brainstorming an in-depth review of the update also, so any problems are something I'd like to cover - and since it's the only body I am willing to use outside of 'oddball testing' - if there's a problem I'm highly motivated to hassle them to fix it... :D ).

I have long used animations from one source on bodies, heads, and so on of other sources. Usually without issue.

Places I have seen issue have all been with 'new attachments' that didn't exist in the system body. Tails, wings, tongues (a number of lick lipping animations will poke through the mouth one 'this head' if made for 'that head').

I got the impression that the problem was wearing the Maitreya hands with the newest updated Belleza body.  Her last post says that the hands work fine on Maitreya body and "used to with Belleza".

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.