Turning a Mistake into an Opportunity

Love Zhaoying

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2268 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So..I bought some female mesh item from the male Love account by accident (forget if it was a Head or Body). Oops!

How about some options, since it can neither be gifted to my alt (LoveX), nor returned:

- If its a Head, I could get a female body too, so my main account has both.

- If it’s a Head, I could search interesting skins that may “androgynize” it. ( @Skell Dagger is my spirit animal. )

- If its a Body, I could get a female head too, so my main account has both.

- If its a Body, I could search interesting skins, maybe androgynize it..

- Any other ideas/advice? I’m not against having both genders on the main account (but that’s why I created the Alt).

You could try getting a different brand of body or head than what your alt has. E.g. If you have Maitreya on the alt get a Belezza for yourself. That way you have a much larger range of clothing available. You could also try getting something fairly different from your alt's shape like a Slink Hourglass.

You may want to hold off on purchasing any new mesh parts and just concentrate on your alt's wardrobe. Over time you may discover a need for a certain style that is incompatible with your alt's setup and you can fill that need through your main account. 

• Thanks 1

If you got a head and don't want to splash out loads of money on a mesh body you could grab the L$1 Ebody's inworld they have some limited customisation and alpha-ing on the plus side the included feet are mostly compatible with slink another cheap body is an Ocacin that i've noticed one of the top full perm identikit creators makes for it looks to be a full bento body for a couple of hundred L$

• Thanks 1

Why so binary? Femboy hunt is still up. Mix and match and grab some items there, Love ;)

2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

You could try getting a different brand of body or head than what your alt has.

My alt will never ever have good stuff I don't own for myself ^^

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Why so binary? Femboy hunt is still up. Mix and match and grab some items there, Love ;)

My alt will never ever have good stuff I don't own for myself ^^

When I mentioned “androgyny” (androgynize), yes - I meant femboy as one possibility.

3 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Over time you may discover a need for a certain style that is incompatible with your alt's setup and you can fill that need through your main account. 

Definitely agree with this. My avatars tend to develop a very strong identity and it feels weird dressing them in a way that is outside their usual style. If you don't want to mix genders on the same account, going for androgyny could be a good shout. 

Also, you can use collars, neckpieces, chokers etc to mask the mismatch in neck sizes between a male head and female body or vice versa. It's not perfect, but it can work. (Alexandra Nevermind on Flickr has turned this into an artform, imo).

• Thanks 1

Androgyny sounds like a good plan.  I don't know if it was the head or the body you got but if a Maitreya body is anywhere in the equation, there's a flat-chested mod for it that turns it into a femboy shape. Skell posted a pic of it a few days ago, it looks pretty good.

I have an androgynous RP alt that's based on a male body with male skin appliers, with a matching female skin (on system head for the time being). She wears feminine clothes (mostly applier clothes for fit) and has a female AO.  I call her "she" but actually she's an alien from an original fiction I'm writing, and her species doesn't have genders at all. She has no breasts because she's not actually a mammal.  I'm tempted to switch to the Maitreya body with the flat chest mod so that female mesh clothes fit her better but right now I can't justify the cost as I'm not using her that much.

• Thanks 1

Sort of. The UV mapping seems to be slightly different around the mouth and eyes, though that can be masked if you’re rocking makeup. Best thing is to try it out and see what you think (because it may vary between brands). You may also have issues with the neck as male skins tend to have an  Adam’s apple. There are some skin makers that make skins with a unisex neck so you can mix and match. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

On-topic: Is it possible to sometimes use male skin with female head or vice-versa to achieve androgyny?

It depends on the head and the skin. Many male skins will look awful on female heads, since (again, dependent on the head) the mapping is different - especially around the eyes and mouth. You'll find that the upper eyelid creases on some male skins will buckle and twist or simply look bad on a female head. Skin designers who shade beneath the male jawline will also give you issues on female heads; especially those with more pointed 'pixie' chin starting shapes.

You'll come across the occasional pleasant surprise, though. Once April gets here, try the Vendetta albino group gift skin (details here on my Flickr) on a female head. (Group is free to join, and the matching 'tone 02' body skin will be just L$100 for the entirety of April, while the head applier is free). It actually looks pretty good on a female Catwa head, although I prefer using my own brows on most heads.

Female skins on male heads work a little better (as before, dependent on the head) but instead of checking the eyes of those, look closely at the mouth, as female lips - especially around the upper lip cleft and the mouth corners - will frequently either go outside or inside the male lip shape.

Skins that are slightly more androgynous or youthful in appearance will often work better on the whole. For male skins designers like Avi-Glam, Swallow, and possibly Tableau Vivant might work better on a female head. For female skins, try Omega ones that are designed for LeLutka female heads, many of which seem to me to have more angular (and therefore androgynous) shaping to them.

In short: it's time to demoDemoDEMO. ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2268 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.