A way to avoid the uncanny valley?

heygeeksandgamers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 hours ago, Morgan Rosenstar said:

In your preferences, there should be something to disable the LookAt (do not look at objects and/or avatars). I'm using Singularity Viewer so I can't tell where it is on other viewers but it's there and it's what you want to disable.

not in the default viewer! :D

I guess I should download a third party viewer

If the suit is fitmesh, its shape comes from your system shape (modifiable by the appearance sliders) and the suit itself. If it isn't fitmesh, its shape comes entirely from the suit itself. Either way, a mesh body will add nothing except cost and extra data which needs to be downloaded and rendered. Why add all that?

Keep in mind too that the whole mesh head and body thing is relatively new. What's on offer for women's mesh bodies seems to have stabilised, though mostly because a very few brands so dominate the market no one else can get a look in. The Bento thing went live a few months ago, so there's been lots of activity around that. Offerings for men's mesh bodies are somewhere in between the two. Bottom line: if nothing that's on offer wows you right now, hold off until something does.

11 hours ago, heygeeksandgamers said:

also would like to post a screenshot of what I have so far and extend a thank-you to everyone who's replied so far, definitely been huge helps! Not sold on the hair yet (its a demo I cropped it out) but I think I'm getting the hang of this now!

UPAuOd1.png

Hey, you look good! If you need hair, No Match has a 50% sale for group members the whole month. The group is free to join, you make sure the group is active. Buy hair as usual, and the store pays you back the half. A pack is 200 L, so that is 100 L now. Essentials and fatpacks cost more, they are also 50%.

If you forget to have the group active (Group tag must show over your head), you will not get the half price refund. https://www.flickr.com/groups/2755584@N20/pool/129183655@N02

The No Match mainstore in Viking has many group gifts too. They are set out on the second floor.

Edited by Marianne Little

On 12/1/2017 at 4:43 PM, Resi Pfeffer said:

Do you remember the old times, when the avatars turned their heads and rolled the eyes to where you was looking at? Or, when you had a conversation: 2 avatars directly looking into their eyes. That was something simple, but it felt very real.
Nowadays everyone is "frozen" within their AO, including myself.

I still have few old free neck animations in my AO. I'm sure that I will keep them indefinitely till the end of times. Even though they are old they are still quite nice ones. And I just love that my head turns where I'm looking at :ph34r:9_9:). I wonder why the animators are now going by the forced head animation route? :(

6 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

I still have few old free neck animations in my AO. I'm sure that I will keep them indefinitely till the end of times. Even though they are old they are still quite nice ones. And I just love that my head turns where I'm looking at :ph34r:9_9:). I wonder why the animators are now going by the forced head animation route? :(

I try to create some motion captured animations at the moment, but im at the very first beginning, and my knowledge level is at about one inch above zero.
If you know, what i have to do, to give the head bone a 90 degree angle to turn (depending on the neck position), while the rest of the body follows the mocap movement, just let me know, please. :)

I like the last picture you´ve posted. Your smile looks pretty natural and real. Would you tell me the secret? My smiling face expressions look scary, like a creepy android...

11 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

If you know, what i have to do, to give the head bone a 90 degree angle to turn (depending on the neck position), while the rest of the body follows the mocap movement, just let me know, please. :)

I like the last picture you´ve posted. Your smile looks pretty natural and real. Would you tell me the secret? My smiling face expressions look scary, like a creepy android...

The 'secret' of the smile is recently released Vista Lia bento head.
Included in the head HUD there are many moods and expressions, of which many are really nice natural looking ones.

(Unfortunately I don't know much about how to make animations, so I'm unable to give any advice in that matter.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.